Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - Finished Suit Pics on p.17

What material did you use to make the blade forms? Were they CNC'd?

They're cut out of MDF using a table saw, router, jigsaw, belt sander, and the Mk1 Mod 0 eyeball. The shapes were too simple to go through the trouble of making a digital model and then wait for the CNC machine. They were also too simple for me to spend too much time on, which is why you saw my friend Matt doing most of the work on that part. All I had to do was sketch out what I wanted.

Lopez, my CNC machine, is out of commission for right now. I'm still in the middle of troubleshooting, but when he's back on line I've got other things he'll be working on. You can see that project here: http://www.therpf.com/f24/just-what-forum-needs-another-ironman-build-170665/

Last edited:

This gives me hope with vacu-forming because if they did it so can I also. Good Job and thats some excellent work gentlemen.

WOW all i can say...............great work

One of the most impressive builds I've ever seen. Incredible work.

Dear lord this is the best thread ever! honestly never been so impressed in my life! Wish i had a workshop like that to build costumes!! ah well maybe in 5 years or so =P Still top notch job and amazing craftsmanship!!

Holy crap Thorsoli, thes suits look incredible!! Like really awesome!! Very impressed... Im sure i know the answer but... Is the suit heavy to wear?? :)

Is the suit heavy to wear??

Heavy isn't really the problem so much as awkward. Because of the stilts involved and the bulk of the whole thing, it makes it a little tricky to wear.

I've been out of the workshop for the past week, but on Saturday I hit the ground running. Most of that day's progress was on my Cadian squad, but today I finall got back to work on my new favorite thing. The main objective of the next couple of days? Turning this chest into something:

To that end, I cast another pair of wings and attached them to the chest:

I've also put together a profile piece for the sword I'm planning to sculpt down the middle:

The pink foam pieces are filler that'll make a lot more sense once I've made more progress on the sculpt.

Stay tuned...

Progress continues:

This suit should be finished and walking around by this weekend. If you're in the Bay Area, he'll be at the Hobby Expo at the Petaluma Community Center on Saturday. Stop by and say "hi."

So far this suit is shaping up to probably become my favorite thing ever. Tonight it's green:

Tomorrow I'll be picking out the gold parts and the other details prior to weathering and blackwashing. So stand by for much sexier pictures.

Impressive as always. I'm surprised that you're rattlecanning everything. For that much retail space I'd use my HVLP gun.

For that much retail space I'd use my HVLP gun.

It crosses my mind from time to time, but setting up air in my shop is a nuisance (the compressor that feeds the lines is a couple hundred yards away in a separate building and it's temperamental at best) and I usually don't feel like hiking all the way out there for a few minutes worth of painting. The rattlecan solution is quicker, easier, and only slightly more expensive.

In other news, the new suit is finished!

It's sexy:

Chicks dig it:

Which is nice:

The pictures are from the first test drive it's ever had. This was at the local Hobby Expo yesterday. While I've done plenty of test fitting and functionality checks in and around the workshop, this is the first time I've had a chance to wear one of these beasts at a public event. Thankfully my crew was along to help me get dressed:

As expected, doors present a challenge:

But it's worth it to look this good:

In addition to my new suit, we also had two of the other suits out and about:

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get many pics of them.

This must be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
And the workload! I am in awe.

Thanks man. I'm absolutely in love with this particular suit.

Here's another winning pic from yesterday:
149421_566689130008366_1858567833_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back