Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor

Awesome! After spending so much time detailing the minis I still find it weird seeing these full sized builds! I think that is because the 'heroic' scale (i.e. exaggerated) we use does appear oddly proportioned when directly scaled up - in my minds eye it's always a bit more Gears of War. The chest piece is great :thumbsup I love this build, the vac pieces look so much cleaner than most of the pep & cast versions!

"My sword is at the Emperor's command, and we shall know no fear!"

We got tired of staring at giant armor forming bucks this afternoon, so we decided to take a break and make these other giant forming bucks:

For the Emperor!

Here's the first tooth sculpted out for the chain:

I made a quick box mold and poured in some silicone before calling it a night. Tomorrow I'll crank out a few casts and prep them for gang molding so I can make a dozen or so teeth at a time. I'll also be turning down a decent hilt and putting together some interesting detail parts to add to the body.

Stay tuned...

Great skills and far to much free time :) That looks to be another nice addition to your
40K collection. When are you going to make a vac form rhino ? :)

Oh wow, that chain sword is nuts, and it's not even finished. How much do you think the whole costume will weigh when it's done?

When are you going to make a vac form rhino ? :)

Funny, my friend Matt and I were talking about building a Land Raider just the other day...

How much do you think the whole costume will weigh when it's done?

I have no idea, but it won't be all that heavy. When I made my HALO costumes, the average one weighed in around 50 pounds. That was all heavy rotocast parts though. This will be all vacformed. So even though it'll be huge, it won't be all that heavy.

Here's how the hands look right now:

I'm not entirely happy with the second knuckle of the ring finger. I also still have to sculpt masters for all of the fingertips and finish detailing the palms. Those should all come together pretty quickly.

Yesterday I made the first dozen teeth for the chainsword:

Here's how they'll fit into the blade:

Today I'll be cleaning them up a bit and making a gang mold so I can cast them a dozen at a time. It looks like a static version of the chainsword will need at least 20 teeth and if I make one with a working chain it'll take at least 45.

Stay tuned for more progress on that.

Here's how the hands look right now:

That's a very realistic prop on the left :)

The other day I stacked up 15 casts of the teeth for the chainsword, cleaned them up a bit, and made a box so I could gang mold them:

I also went ahead and prototyped the missing bits for the hilt:

Here's a shot of the first castings installed in the first pull:

The night before last I sat down and cranked out a quick sculpt for the pommel detail:

I haven't cast a copy of the pommel, but that didn't stop me from taking pictures with the rest of it all put together:

I also poured the mold for the detail that will go in the tip and tie together the open end there.

Today I'll cast the pommel and start painting up a couple of pulls.

Back on the subject of the armor, all that still needs doing is a refining of the shoulder plate, splitting and reinforcing the thighs, and sculpting out the flexible parts for the waist, hips, knees, and elbows.

Stay tuned...

That's a nice looking power sword but boy it's big :) With the size of it you should have the space to add a motor to get the teeth going.

Right now it weighs in under 5.5 pounds. For the marines to carry around, it's a bit heavy. I'll end up adding more filler into the resin for future copies. Still, since I'll be building the hand around the grip and then fixing it into place, it should be okay.

I would pay thousands of dollars for a suit like this!!! Some of the most amazing work I have ever see. When I saw this my jaw hit the floor. I've been playing 40k since I was a kid and I can truly say this is just amazing to look at!!

Thank you for the compliments.

The last part I needed was this piece for the top of the grill:

I glued some window screen mesh into the vents and then it was time for painting.

After working out these last few details, I couldn't help but make a couple more:

I should have all three paintjobs knocked out sometime tomorrow. I'll also be back to work on the rest of the armor.

Stay tuned...

Almost done:

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. I'll take some sharper pictures once I've got the teeth glued in.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Two chainswords are almost done:

I still need to install teeth in the third one. I ran out of casting resin yesterday though, so it'll be a few minutes before I get back to that.

I've also finalized the sculpt for the wings on the chest (finally):

Now that it's got its shiny glosscoat, I'll be pouring some silicone on it tomorrow after the paint has dried.

Apologies for the crappy cellphone pics. I left the shop camera behind today.

Stay tuned, I should have some more interesting pics tomorrow...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back