Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

OK, more pics...
Sorry about the delay :$

As above, I've removed all the tendons to be made separately. I've made recesses for the tendons to fit into to give the Impression of tension deforming the skin a bit.
921.JPG

922.JPG

923.JPG

924.JPG

Here I've laid two of the tendons in place to show how they'll fit into the depressions. These tendons are messed up as they're the ones I removed & they'll need re-sculpting.
925.JPG

:)

Last edited:
Was a bit shocked to see that beatiful sculpt dissected into pieces, at first.. :O
But it makes sense, and I'm sure it will make it a lot easier to mould and get the tendons to work properly.

Can't wait to see the resculpted tendons and to see all the parts cast in transparent resin/rubber, with a nice set of chromed teeth underneath. :)
Awesome work!

Thanks Guy's :)

As well as tendons you've seen already there'll be an extra tendon on either side on the corner of the top lip. I'm intending to create this small tendon to finish how the top lip blends to the face & it should be one cast incorporating the corner of the mouth, the thin tendon that runs to the very back of the jaw & the bottom tendon that crosses the big tendon. This way there'll be a large surface area to glue the tendon onto so they can stretch hopefully without peeling off. I could have left the two front tendons in place as they don't need to move but I decided to make them separate to have that small gap behind them & so that all the tendons are the same finish.

My next move is to make a silicone mould of what I've got in the pic's. Then remove all the clay from the plastic face, clean it up, give it a good coat of release & insert it back into the silicone mould. Then I can fill the voids left with rigid urethane plastic & cast up the 4 pieces.
I'll clean all the edges, thin the lips on the inside & refine any details if I need to & then make a new mould for each individual part.

I'll then cast up a set from the new moulds, glue them to the face & get on with the tendons :)

Sorry for the delay, been busy with other thing again :rolleyes

I'm getting ready for the mould for this. I think I've covered everything I need to?

The beige part as you already know is cast resin, the dark green part is the bit I want to keep, the red parts are the mould edges & the brown parts are to flow liquid plastic into each part & hopefully allow air to escape. Unlike previous attempts I'll be pouring this from the back of the jaw from one side so that I can see the plastic rise on the other side. After making this half of the mould I'll probably remove the brown & the green clay carefully so as not to damage the red & I'll make a silicone version of the beige & red part to form the inside of the mould. I could probably have done this easier some other way but....

926.JPG

Let me know if you spot any obvious mistakes, I won't be putting rubber on this for a couple of days so there's time to make alterations :)

Last edited:
Mate! Those molds are pieces of art by themselves:eek:cool I've seen Studio molds before, but these are just marvi!! Pro-Job from top to bottom!

If I still lived in the UK - from the next county over in Norfolk - I'd probably be begging you to allow me to come over and look at your work, not only for the sculpt which I love, but the way you've done the molds and casting process too. I'd learn a heckofalot just by looking at it. Really amazing work. :)

Thanks for the kind words Guy's :$

TBH I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with this. My confidence with this piece is low & I'm not sure it'll work. I've still got a lot to learn :)

It would be a pleasure to meet another RPF member, so if you happen to be in or near Cambridgeshire, UK give me shout :)

Hi Leigh; ! pnag; put me onto your thread... long time running!

I used to travel through cambs a lot for work but I'm not working there any more, so don't really get out to the UK any more.

From what I see of your basic form above, you're on the right track, thats a really nice form to mold, but difficult.

You will really have to work it to get the details settles with no bubbles. You might consider powering the inside with talc powder to ensure bubbles don't set into the small corners, like the tip of the teeth. But this only comes once you're ready to cast. molding is the first hurdle.

I think you should be good with the molding, you have a nice base to work on, like I said before. What will you be using to make the outer support mold?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Leigh; ! @pnag; put me onto your thread... long time running!

From what I see of your basic form above, you're on the right track, thats a really nice form to mold, but difficult.

You will really have to work it to get the details settles with no bubbles. You might consider powering the inside with talc powder to ensure bubbles don't set into the small corners, like the tip of the teeth. But this only comes once you're ready to cast. molding is the first hurdle.

I think you should be good with the molding, you have a nice base to work on, like I said before. What will you be using to make the outer support mold?

Thanks :) I always use talc to dust my moulds it also helps to draw the plastic into the detail :) The teeth wont be a problem, it's only the dark green parts that I'm focusing on with this mould. I use a Fibreglass jacket to support the silicone. I only really need one good cast from this mould, maybe two? Form there I'll be sectioning the cast into 4 pieces & then making individual moulds for each piece.

wow! took me 4,5 hours to read the hole thread. i'm glad you're not finish yet! it's like coming too late to a birthdayparty but still on time to get some cake!

stunning work. can't wait for the dome. i don' care if it took another five years. i'll be here!

Leigh; Do you plan on having a skull cover as well to get the smooth full length skull without the human skull parts showing? Or like a piece people can add/remove?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bob the Alien (Giger Alien)

thanks for the reply, is the foil easy to peel off or do you need a tool?

also what are these pipes you used here?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/zorg-industries/10488.jpg

-z

hey guys, im looking for a while now but at least here in germany it seems impossible to find similar pipes like the ones leigh used. since the terms for parts like this are very "technical" i have no clue what i must look for in international shops. what should i type in ebay or amazon to get THAT special pipe.

thanks a lot and much love

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back