Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

It's absolutely gorgeous - now, when can we order? ;)

Just kidding, take your time, Leigh! It's so been worth the wait!

I think I'm pretty much there with this...
912.JPG

916.JPG

I'm going to leave it for a few days & keep looking at the refs just to see where it might need more work?

:)

Last edited:

I'm not sure about the wrinkles on the front of the lips top & bottom :unsure

They're there in some of the ref pics & I think they may well be difficult to see when cast in clear rubber but it hard to tell.

Maybe I'll tone them down a little :unsure

I'm also thinking that the tip of the chin should be a little wider & flatter?
Looking for some criticism here....

Agree with Too Much garlic. Don't tone them down in my opinion.
hard to tell for the chin because of the lighting on angle of the pictures. Shape is hard to really define and change a bit depending of the pics.
Great work so far. But you're the big chief so you decide. lol

hm, well... I can understand the point with the wrinkles. somehow they look a little unnatural to me too. just in the front. really not sure depending on the chin, but the wrinkles... really hard to say though. in the original the lips were these condom rubber right? pretty hard to reproduce that. somehow I really liked the natural look of the version before the latest. that one looked pretty natural to me.

Thanks for the feedback Guy's :thumbsup

Well, I made myself a new sculpting tool this morning, tried it out & found that I still have some work to do :D

I reduced the wrinkles just a bit & they look better. I've also resurfaced the tendons & cleaned up some of the details here n there, the new tool works really well! :)

Regarding the condoms, from what I can tell they used condoms for the tendons & the lips & yes I'm finding it tricky to reproduce something that looks exactly the same.
Hopefully it'll look about right when cast in clear, teeth & gums visible through the lips.

I'm already planning (in my head) the moulding/casting of this & its going to be complicated! At this point I think I'll make a silicone mould of this & from there cast it in rigid urethane. I'll have to run 2-3 casts & then separate it into parts. Then I'm hoping I can make moulds for each of the parts & cast them up. Then it should be a kit of parts that'll probably be a bit fiddly to fit :/ just hope I don't get too much shrinkage with all this moulding & casting of the same part :/

I'll update with some pics when I've finished this current stage :)

Just a thought. How about doing a test mock-up using actual condoms. Get that to look right and then replicate that look on your sculpt? Nothing beats working with the original materials and use it as a sculpting guide.

For ease you can snap the lips right down the middle, so you have 4 separate pieces to mold. Molding it as a one-piece will probably be difficult to do as well as produce castings, but I'm not skilled with mold making, so maybe it's doable with a little guidance. You can easily make a sort of "snap-fit" system, so they always attach the same on the face and then all is needed is a little filler to close the seams. Just a thought. However, this will probably require the lips be sculpted with that break up in mind, which would mean you can use something like Aves Apoxie sculpt as the base for the 4 parts and have them connect in a certain way, so they hold together, and then simply sculpt on top of that thin layer with whatever sculpting material you like to work with best.

for me the folds of her lips are perfect, because they give a good idea of a folding skin. chin is his. it would be nice and maybe even see clarifying these lips mounted on the head with the skull, to see the entire expression.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back