Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

Bluepoint tin snips while the resin is still a little soft :)

https://store.snapon.com/Aviation-S...et-Jaws-Left-Hand-Cut-Red-Handle-P769672.aspx

As an ex-panel beater/ Fabricator I can't recommend these enough!!!!

I imagined that you had something that does not produce dust. I use the little grinding wheel that makes dust, because I do not have time to wait for that fiberglass resin reaches the hardness of rubber. The craftsman who I have known, use a cutter.

When the jackets are all finished for this mould I'll take them outside & grind all the rough bits off & clean up the flanges a bit.
831.jpg

832.jpg

Need to get some more nuts n bolts :)

Just the top of the neck with a pour spout left to do with this mould :)

Last edited:

Those molds are so well done that you'll keep those for years to come. Really excited to see the rest!

I can't put a date on it TBF, I would have started the last part of this mould last night, I was thinking about doing the rubber part with the fill spout. The problem I have now is how to support the whole thing while I build the last part :confused

Its very heavy! It was heavy before I started doing the mould but its a fair bit heavier now! I'll need to figure out a structure of some sort to support it while I do the last bit. So I'm thinking it over ATM while I'm doing some grouting in the bathroom :wacko Too many things going on!

After I've figured it all out & got it finished I'll run a test cast & work out any alterations I might have to make & then move on to the next mould. The next mould will be the fin that goes on the back. That one should be fairly simple.

Then I've got the base to deal with! The base will be an interesting experience for me. I'm going to make a one piece mould over the top of it with silicone & a jacket. Then I'll be removing the original part to reveal an empty mould. I'm planning to lay a rolled out sheet of clay into the mould & then adding various bits of carefully shaped MDF to form a strong structure. Then when it's all looking how I want it I'll build a closing mould for it. Once the closing mould is done I'll open it up & remove the MDF & the clay & cast the base a one solid casting.

I've also still got the lip's & tendons to deal with but hopefully I've got that sussed now :)

I've also got to make a mould for the pipes either side & the rubber closing flap for the throat.

Lots to do still :)

so glad this is back on, the molds are looking great...going to be really exciting seeing some of the first pulls!

Woot Woot. Yep its a long road ahead but it does worth it.
Looks so awesome so far. :)
Can't wait to see the final!
Congrats

Sorry about the delay... sooo many distractions :wacko

I have a little bit of progress to share :)
I figured out a way support the mould so I could make the last bit :D
833.jpg

834.jpg

A folding chair! real technical :D

I've made the rubber part with a fill spout & plug & it's all prepped & ready for the fiberglass jacket.
835.jpg

836.jpg

Just got to get on with that now. I still need to order nuts n bolts & the casting resin for this part :)

Last edited:

Leigh, you're awesome !!! You've worked hard. In the first picture there is also something sexi. :)
So bust and neck are one. It is a complex piece. But the chair is a stroke of genius! :) Really good!!:thumbsup

OK, I got the final bit of jacket finished :)
Then it was time to de-mould :D
Most of this part hasn't seen the light of day for a long time:
837.jpg

838.jpg

839.jpg

840.jpg

841.jpg

842.jpg

843.jpg

The sculpt didn't fair too well during de-mould, the clay was like hard cake icing :confused
The sculpt is beyond repair & will be destroyed.
844.jpg

845.jpg

846.jpg

The moulds look good :) Need a bit of a clean up just to remove bits of paint & clay & they'll be good to go :D
847.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Leigh , you're a war machine . Even the bust of my model has been damaged . But it is not a problem . :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back