Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien Sculpting finished page 45

I really, really like your new take on the lips and tendons Leigh! Nice detailing and the overall look is very close to the Rambaldi one.
Just watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_x2zKWX70) of the original head to compare the position of the seperate tendons and such, and I think you've captured every detail perfectly. You've managed to create a very pleasing, organic look, and I can't wait to see how it will look, once cast in clear rubber and attached, with the teeth shining through beneath it like the original.

Btw. It's good to see you back here - and working on this masterpiece.

Been waiting patiently to see more - this is one of my all time favorite projects, and every update is a joy to watch.

Thanks.

Many thanks for the kind words :)
The link to the vid you posted has got my attention, thanks for including it :thumbsup
I've been watching it over & over, re-checking the images & its made me change direction a little :D

I don't know if you'll like the changes but I think they're a bit closer to Rambaldi's rendition.
I still have a little work to do on one side before I post pic's but I'll update later on :)

Here's those pic's :)
794.JPG

795.JPG

796.JPG

:)

Last edited:

You're welcome Leigh :)

Glad you liked the video.
(I found this one too, when searching for videos of the head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKlpX6v2QOw
..it shows an original tongue/inner mouth piece. I know you've completed yours a long time ago - Just an interesting video to watch.

I like the new changes!

I actually thought your recent work was great as it was, I kind of liked how the lips formed a kind of special grin,
but the added/extended underlip is more accurate - and I also like the added wrinkles/folds in the upper-lip.
The string in the front of both lips also ads to the accuracy.

A little detail I noticed on the original was: that it seems there's a little space between the lower lip
and the two tendons pulling it downwards, as shown in this pic:

On yours the tendons are lying flat against the lip. It might be hard to make this space if this is supposed
to be cast as one large piece, so it's probably something you've considered. I just thought I'd mention it. :)

Bob_ALIEN_Leigh_Tendons_Lips_11_25_14_zps7d350999.jpg

Great work!

A little detail I noticed on the original was: that it seems there's a little space between the lower lip
and the two tendons pulling it downwards, as shown in this pic:

On yours the tendons are lying flat against the lip. It might be hard to make this space if this is supposed
to be cast as one large piece, so it's probably something you've considered. I just thought I'd mention it. :)

Thanks again :)

I had noticed those two tendons, they actually buckle & stick out when the lower lip is all the way down.
Ideally I should make all the tendons separately but it would make this part very complicated, I still have to highlight them a little more before I'm completely finished.
I also should have chosen a different clay to make this part, this clay is too soft & is difficult to hold detail as fine as this needs to be, I'll have to put it in the fridge to do the final detail.

The comparison pic you've posted is interesting to me as I can see the differences between the two much easier when they're side by side like that. Unfortunately I'll never be able to make these lips & tendons exactly the same as the original due to various reasons including the casting I'm building it on being so much different to Rambaldi's animatronic chassis.

I'll be completely honest here, I'm struggling with this part! its been really difficult to get a layout I'm happy with that will work with the casting I'm building it on :unsure

I'm hoping this shape will work slightly better with the mouth open so that the teeth at the end of the tongue can be seen :)

I've made some minor changes this morning including rounding the chin off a bit, it was too square
797.JPG

798.JPG

Last edited:

I've been getting a bit frustrated with sculpting the lips & tendons so I've taken a slight detour :)
799.JPG

802.JPG

Its very crudely done using bmx bike cables & broken casts amongst other things. I've never done anything like this before & I'm quite surprised at how quick & relatively easy this was! If I'd used latex rather than nitrile gloves it would move better but it is fully posable, I can even get him to raise his lip Elvis style :D
Having thrown this together I may well do it properly using better materials & metal brackets next time & it may well help me to do a better job of the sculpting.
As far as modding the casts I cut the sides & inner parts of the jaw away & recessed behind the upper rear most fangs, not much cutting really :)

Last edited:

Looking good Leigh.
Don't get those latex gloves near your silicone! It inhibits curing of silicone.
Lol, BMX cables...... Glad your nowhere near my Skyway. :lol

Looking good Leigh.
Don't get those latex gloves near your silicone! It inhibits curing of silicone.
Lol, BMX cables...... Glad your nowhere near my Skyway. :lol

TA or Streetbeat? The cables were some old no name gyro cables & a pair of Astroglide offcuts :)

Gosh! I thought we'd do something hard. I did not expect mobile lips. I've stunned.:eek :) :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

:D Thanks DD
I do still want to cast up a set of one piece clear lips for display purposes but I'm beginning to think this may be the way forward for a mechanical head ;)

Here's a couple of pics of him without the blue gloves, you can see most of the mechanisms & you can see how crudely its been thrown together but it proves it's doable :)
804.JPG

803.JPG

Last edited:

Brilliant. I love how this is evolving, and you've never done anything like this before? Incredible.

David

Great job on these latest adjustments!.. I think the overall look is near perfect - and I'm looking forward to see the final detailing.

I really understand your frustration about this part, and the whole casting procedure. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
But I really hope you'll figure out a way to get a great cast of it, that will work perfectly with the head and jaw. :)

Thanks again :)

I had noticed those two tendons, they actually buckle & stick out when the lower lip is all the way down.
Ideally I should make all the tendons separately but it would make this part very complicated, I still have to highlight them a little more before I'm completely finished.
I also should have chosen a different clay to make this part, this clay is too soft & is difficult to hold detail as fine as this needs to be, I'll have to put it in the fridge to do the final detail.

The comparison pic you've posted is interesting to me as I can see the differences between the two much easier when they're side by side like that. Unfortunately I'll never be able to make these lips & tendons exactly the same as the original due to various reasons including the casting I'm building it on being so much different to Rambaldi's animatronic chassis.

I'll be completely honest here, I'm struggling with this part! its been really difficult to get a layout I'm happy with that will work with the casting I'm building it on :unsure

I'm hoping this shape will work slightly better with the mouth open so that the teeth at the end of the tongue can be seen :)

I've made some minor changes this morning including rounding the chin off a bit, it was too square

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/797_zpsc2c862f8.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/798_zps6181473b.jpg

Wauw!!! :eek That's Awesome Leigh! Great idea!.. It looks very similar to the way they did the original.
If you at one point are going to make your excellent creation available to us drooling fans, as kits
- it will be quite hard to decide on which version to get. The sculpted tendons and lips look stunning,
but this glove-solution seems to be a perfect alternative to those who want to be able to pose Bob with
the jaws open, tongue extended and so on..

Would love to see this done with a transparent material at one point. :)

I've been getting a bit frustrated with sculpting the lips & tendons so I've taken a slight detour :)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/799_zpse9ca29fd.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/802_zpsf2b1310d.jpg

http://vid74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/mech 01_zpswvmwpdej.mp4

Its very crudely done using bmx bike cables & broken casts amongst other things. I've never done anything like this before & I'm quite surprised at how quick & relatively easy this was! If I'd used latex rather than nitrile gloves it would move better but it is fully posable, I can even get him to raise his lip Elvis style :D
Having thrown this together I may well do it properly using better materials & metal brackets next time & it may well help me to do a better job of the sculpting.
As far as modding the casts I cut the sides & inner parts of the jaw away & recessed behind the upper rear most fangs, not much cutting really :)

Leigh make us dream! It is a complex mechanism. To what Rambaldi we wanted to move it in four. I also like when he closed lips. If you do a mechanism,will be electric or manual?

Many thanks for the feedback guy's :)

This one is just a proof of concept using all discarded parts. I'm pretty confident I can do a better job of this with some refinement, it'll mean making/buying a complete set of parts specifically for the job.
I've realised I don't need to cut away so much of the bottom jaw as I have, I can modify another cast & include mounting points for the lever's & other mechanical parts, then pop it back into the mould & produce some plugs which should allow me to use the one mould to cast a full jaw or a modified one. I need to find a smaller cable to use & I need to remake the levers in something like PCB, I also need to fit springs here & there to improve the movement.
After that I just need to hook up the jaw & the tongue :)

I'm going to come back to sculpting the lips at a later date, my next move will be to order some more materials so that I can finish the moulds & then sort out getting the vac forming done.

So, after I ve been reading this thread for so long time, and made an account here just a few weeks ago to show my clone helmet project, i realy have to write some words down here! As so many before me, I just have to say this must be the most perfect, or maybe THE perfect alien head ever. even the originals may not beat it, because of they are in a bad condition. I saw all that manufactured figures and busts, but nothing made it to catch the right shapes. but you did, you have a realy good eye for the small details. I love the Alien movie since I'm 8 years old I guess and its still a masterpiece. I decided to get a good statue a couple of years ago too, but most of them are not so well done, exempt the sano alien, but that was no longer available, so i sculpted my own one and cast 10 variations of it in bronze. the form of the dome was very important to me and i think i used your head a couple of times as a reference. for me it was a little after work fun and a side project, so my figures are not so much detailed, but I can realy figure out what you ve done here, especially for the dome, which seems to be realy hard to sculpt right. here are some pictures of my little statue.

So this was also inspired by you. looking forward to see the finished dome… and congratulations for this fantastic work! this is a realy concentrated work!

best regards, hinrich

Thank you Hinrich :)

I get great pleasure from reading that something I've done has inspired others even if only in a very small way.
Thanks again for the kind words & support :)

Your sculptures are Fantastic!! Great choice of poses & in Bronze... Awesome!!
How big are they & can they be reproduced??

they should be 1:6 in scale, around 38 cm high when standing. I ve sculpted one in wax and made a silicone mold than of the different body parts so technically they were reproducible. But there have been only 12 made. my mold was not made out of high quality material so its gone now. Every sculpture is also just based on the original model and than resculped more or less to change the pose. In some cases I ve changed a lot especially on the head while I ve learned more and more about the correct form of the dome and the teeth. Some versions have also teeth made out of stainless steel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back