Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Many thanks for the kind words Miek :)

Trust me I'm looking forward to be in a position to complete this & I have every intention of doing so :)
I will be re-sculpting the tendons & they will be cast as a separate piece to be glued on after assembly, assuming I can get good casts of quite a delicate part :)
When I eventually get my life sorted out I'll be able to crack on with this, until then... many thanks for your interest & your patience :)

Leigh, you're a gent! I'll (hopefully, finances pending) be in the queue when you're ready :)

Hopefully won't be long until you're running some more castings off Leigh! :)

Hi Leigh, let me tell you that you did an marvelous job and a tribute to such an epic creature. I accidentally found your thread in search of refs of big chap becausee I am planning to do exactly the same as you did, kind of a personal challenge and I am also in the same shoes as you, I never did anything like it. When I found your wip here on this forum I was totally sucked in and end up reading the whole thread like a good book:). Also it is great thread because many people sharing their thaughts and experience also helps to find right pieces to this puzzle like all necessary hoses and tubes. All and all can't thank you enough to decide sharing your wip in the first place. Thank you again and hope to see the continuation soon. BTW I had a really hard time to find the radiator hose but finally managed to find it in UK but because I live in Canada it will cost around 100$ to be shiped here, but I think it is worth the money for that particular purpose. Any way take care and hope to see you around really soon.

Alex T.

Hi Many thanks for the kind words :)
Welcome & I'm looking forward to following your build thread. There's a wealth of inspiration here on The RPF to help you along :)
Also don't forget to check out Daredevil665's build threads, He's done an Amazing job on his Alien!

:)

Last edited:

Hi Many thanks for the kind words :)
Welcome & I'm looking forward to following your build thread. There's a wealth of inspiration here on The RPF to help you along :)
Also don't forget to check out Daredevil665's build threads, He's done an Amazing job on his Alien!

Thanks Leigh, but mine is technically very poor. :( In fact my next alien, for what concerns the head, I will try to follow your own, at least for the shape. :)

Leigh...what can I say...I've just read this entire thread...took me awhile but I made it :lol but just seeing the process of this magnificent piece you're building is just AMAZING.
You have captured Giger's masterpiece like no other that I've seen, I'm just speechless. It's hard to believe its taken this long... but I can relate to the perfectionist term myself too lol...ALOT but its so worth the effort in the end....and your thread has proved that. I too Studied Giger for my GCSE in Art! Was very fun to do...I actually sculpted a miniature Derelict diorama...could never have pulled off a full sized Alien bust at the time! The original has always been my favourite of the bunch...was in my element lol and this thread reminded me of it all.
Giger would be so proud of you mate...seriously..cannot wait for more updates on this. Again... I just cannot stress enough how phenomenal this has become...
Leigh, I would absolutely LOVE to own one of these later down the line (when he's all done) I'd be in heaven painting it.

Marcus

WOW, firstly many thanks for all your support :)

I haven't been in a position to continue with this for some time now due to numerous things & I feel like I've been letting you guy's down.

I'm pleased to say I've started to sculpt a new set of lips & tendons (Rambaldi style) & I should be in a position to buy some more rubber within a week or so :) This will mean I can continue making the moulds.
I'm hoping to be updating this thread with pic's of more progress in the very near future :)

Re: Bob the Alien Sculpting finished page 45

Well I promised some more pic's :)

This is at an early stage at the moment, I'm just trying stuff out until I can arrange the major parts in a way that I'm happy with.
I'm quite liking this :)
All constructive criticism is welcome...
782.JPG

784.JPG

785.JPG

Last edited:

My criticism is... Your work is too damn good! :) I love it - it looks amazing, keep it up (if you can - real life is *always* more important :) )

I think I can safely speak for everyone here, Leigh - you have in no way let us down!

Thanks pnag :)

A little more refinement, I'm going to work on the other side now & get that to the same stage as this side then I can do a little finishing & give it a coat of paint.
787.JPG

786.JPG

789.JPG
788.JPG

Last edited:

Art with a capital A:cool Love every one of your updates! I'm still waiting to be disappointed: you're a machine:D

Thanks joberg :)

OK nearly there, I've still got some little bits to do & I have to check the thickness in a few places.
I'm going to have to make a rigid mould for this, I'm planning to inject the rubber using a food syringe & make lots of air vents otherwise I'll never get a good cast.

If anyone who has done similar & has any tips I'd love to hear them :)
790.JPG

791.JPG

792.JPG

Last edited:

I really, really like your new take on the lips and tendons Leigh! Nice detailing and the overall look is very close to the Rambaldi one.
Just watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_x2zKWX70) of the original head to compare the position of the seperate tendons and such, and I think you've captured every detail perfectly. You've managed to create a very pleasing, organic look, and I can't wait to see how it will look, once cast in clear rubber and attached, with the teeth shining through beneath it like the original.

Btw. It's good to see you back here - and working on this masterpiece.
Been waiting patiently to see more - this is one of my all time favorite projects, and every update is a joy to watch.

Thanks.

Thanks joberg :)

OK nearly there, I've still got some little bits to do & I have to check the thickness in a few places.
I'm going to have to make a rigid mould for this, I'm planning to inject the rubber using a food syringe & make lots of air vents otherwise I'll never get a good cast.

If anyone who has done similar & has any tips I'd love to hear them :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back