Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

:thumbsup

In terms of criticism, I want to say the tendons look too narrow but I think that's just me defaulting to thinking of another variant. It looks great.

Thank you :) Yes, that's the plan. To cast it in one piece clear rubber but I'm still not sure what rubber to use at this stage. I want to avoid Latex but it needs to be almost as stretchy & paintable. So I'll be sending off for some samples soon :)

Ahh that's what I thought - Excited to see how it will work once cast, glued in place and painted.
The elasticity of the rubber would have to be just right, so that it keeps it's shape even after a bit
of stretching.. but also doesn't break all of a sudden. Hope you find just the right material for it Leigh. :)

It's such a cool feature just to be able to open and close the jaws.. and extend the tongue.
A few years back when I still had my HCG scaled Alien bust, I dreamt of being able to to that. But no :(
This just ads to the coolness-factor of Bob :cool

I cannot wait to see this finished. I really hope you offer some for sale because I'll be all over this! I've held out on adding an alien to my collection for a reason!!!!!

You are doing an unbelievable job!!!!

Many thanks Guy's :)
& thank you for the feedback so far :)

OK, what's peoples thoughts on this extra tendon?
686.JPG

687.JPG

Obviously this is just a test piece, I'd have to re-make it a bit better :)

Last edited:

Oh yeah. That works for me big time.

On the one hand I'd say yes because it gives a further sense of immense power in the jaw, but on the other hand I'd say that it disrupts the flow of the other tendons; they're all dynamically pulling back from the mouth but then the new tendon breaks that up a little.
Damn I wish I was better at explaining my thoughts...

I like it - but I actually thougt that this tendon was going to be a separate one, attached underneath the other piece.
Comparing it with different reference-pics it seems it should be a bit wider at the bottom and maybe moved a bit more towards the mouth where it's attached to the mandible. Could be the camera-angle fooling me though. :)

To better explain what I mean:

tendon_suggestion1_zps13f0244f.jpg

And while looking at more reference, I actually think the tendon could be a bit wider all over.. not sure about that though. The width and position change from head to head.

tendon_suggestion2_zpsfacf7c34.jpg

Many Thanks guy's :)

OK, Thicker tendon & I've added another small one to the top lip. This is very crude ATM & I'm thinking the big tendon should be narrower at the bottom :unsure I'm also thinking the new top one could be straighter :unsure
688.JPG

689.JPG

690.JPG

:)

Last edited:

I like what you are doing, but I'm not really a fan of the really thin tendons, especially those top two that are the same width from end to end. What's the thinking behind that, Leigh, does the movie one have them like that or are you doing what pleases you? If it's the latter then more power to your elbow :)

Al

Hi Leigh....I love the look so far, but I found this side view pic (which I'm sure you already have) which shows the 'randomness' of the tendons....what do you think?

Alien.jpg

Ah, that photo explains a lot, I've never looked that carefully before.

Bobs looking really good Leigh, can't wait to see him finished :)

I have a possible material for consideration in regards to the lips/tendons, translucent silicone. While it's cloudy/foggy in thick quantities, it's practically clear when only a few mm thick.

It is a bit more expensive being an addition/platinum cure silicone, but the company I get mine from sells very small quantities on up to to barrel size. It can also be coloured/tinted with the appropriate dyes as well which can be mixed to produce almost any colour you want.

This one is a very stretchy/springy shore 13A, here's the link :thumbsup

Polycraft Zhermack ZA13 Translucent RTV Silicone Shore A13 - mbfg.co.uk

Awesome! :)
Many thanks Guy's :)
Right, I have some work to do :D I'll get cracking on those suggestions & update soon :)

Canobi, Thank you :) that's the supplier I've been using so I'll order a sample :) Question: will I be able to cast this silicone in a tin cure silicone mould? & I assume it'll need special paints?

Addition cure and tin cure are not compatible as the tin cure will inhibit the platinum silicone from curing. Plaster of Paris or fibreglass/solid resin moulds are the method used for casting silicone IIRC, though using the same type of silicone for both will work also if ample release agent is used to stop the mould and cast from sticking to each other.

Casting it in the right colour would be simplest, a tiny drop or two will make the translucent silicone opaque. I'm not sure what paint would stick to silicone anyway, although it would be possible in theory to dye a small amount and paint with that.

Absolutely astonishing work Leigh, your sculpting is 1st class and your mould work flawless. I cant even begin to comment on the quality of your casts. Cant wait to see how the final dome and tendons turn out. Easily one of the best threads on here.

Many many thanks Guy's :)

I've been thinking a bit more about some of the comments...

It's been suggested that the tendons I have so far are a little too thin & a uniform thickness end to end. I'm also getting a feeling that more tendons = good :)
I wanted you guy's to have a looky at these pic's before I start chopping stuff up:
alien 3.jpg

alien 28.jpg

alien 36.jpg

alien 64.jpg

This version of the Alien has very thin tendons & very few tendons. I've been modelling Bob on this version for some time now & my intention was to add a few extra tendons from the Rambaldi version In an attempt to build an overall likeness of the Alien we know. I think you'll find, Sano also modelled his on this version.
I've added the two extra tendons on the chin either side from the Rambaldi version & I'm happy with those. I've been studying the Rambaldi head & I can see that the tendons are just stretched rubber, rather wide one end & very narrow the other end, completely different to the pics above.
From what can gather, the Rambaldi head was built like Yoda, a plastic under skull with basically a Latex mask fitted over it. The problem with that, is that all the main features like the cheeks & some of the jaw details are in a different place & ultimately a slightly different shape.
Personally I find that Giger's version has more grace than the Rambaldi version & as a result is my favourite.
One of the problems I'm having with this part of the build is creating something that brings all the elements of the different versions together without ruining the whole thing by over detailing & ultimately cluttering it up.
I'm interested in your thoughts here :)

Last edited:

Here's some images of the Rambaldi head for comparison:
alien 38.jpg

alien 21.jpg

alien 41.jpg

alien 57.jpg

As you can see they're quite different :)

If anyone has an issue with me posting these pic's please let me know, I'll remove them :)

Last edited:

Hmmm...so that vertical tendon....
Me personally....I love the thin tendons you're sculpting in. I'm not a fan of the wide vertical tendon shown on the Rambaldi head. On the other hand, there is a similar tendon shown on the inside of the mouth...probably to help with it opening and closing but that one has a sense of 'I belong', where as this other wide one starts to bring the jaw to a more ALIENS type design.
Yes, I know it's on some of the Alien heads, but the diagonal strips of 'flesh' show a dynamic in this sculpt that just screams original ALIEN head sculpt, and that is what I'm personally loving.
Either way, it still does look fantastic, with that wide vertical tendon in there too...I'm just more a fan of this ALIEN look with a sense of motion extending outside of the lips and pulling back towards the jaw....without the wide tendon. Again, just my preference and that doesn't make it right or anything like that... :)
I hope that makes sense...and this is all just my personal view on what's being done here.
The sense of pain, terror and even motion that the first ALIEN head/jaw design has is utterly terrifying. There's a huge sense of 'what's going on here' when you look at it and only once the mouth opens do you fully appreciate what this 'thing' does and is capable of.
Either way, this is already a winning sculpt...with or without it's just stellar, and your step by step is such a joy to follow.

David

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back