Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Fantastic work! I remember seeing this on the Aliens Legacy a year ago and worried you had stopped working on it. The head scult is amazing, but that base really takes it to the next level.

Wow!
It all paid off. Bravo.
I see you went to Ebalta. Their resin is good and what is used at the Modelmakers I worked at and why I continue to use it. It comes out really smooth.
Can't wait to see more. Really chuffed for you. :thumbsup

Leigh, the casts look pretty tidy to me but as has been said by Nwerke, it would be best to leave the cast in the mould and add the foam. Any thin/weak spots and the foam would find it's way through the resin.

Beautiful work and well done :)

Top notch! Great quality of the casts and I admire how much effort and energy you put into this project. I´m truly speechless. Thumbs up!

Many Thanks :)

Right, I attempted to mould the tongue & failed miserably :rolleyes

I shall have another go at that very soon :)

I have had some success the last few days though :) I've modified the upper teeth mould & the bottom jaw mould.
I don't know why I didn't think to do this before :facepalm The modification to the mould for the upper teeth was easy, I simply cut right through the mould, through the fangs & then there's no trapped air. By dusting the new slits in the mould, it draws the plastic into the slits & into the tips of the fangs. The only side effect to this is a tiny bit of flashing in between fangs, so that's that sorted :)
659.JPG

Partly due to the good results I had with the upper teeth I then decided to modify the bottom jaw mould. My first attempt was to slit it in the same way I had for the upper teeth, that didn't work so well with the sprue thing I'd done to the mould.
So I decided that a separate set of teeth was needed for the bottom jaw, in the same way as the top teeth :)
I modified one of the casts to have removable teeth & it has dimples to help locate the teeth to the jaw. I then started cutting the mould to remove the teeth part, closed the modified cast into the mould & added new rubber over the cut out part & much to my surprise... it worked :)
I ran a cast this morning:
660.JPG

661.JPG

662.JPG

I'm pleased with the results :) I have the teeth in rubber at the moment but its not fully set yet. I'll get some pic's of the teeth fitted to the jaw in the next couple of days :)

Last edited:

I've been thinking...It would be cool if you could sculpt some tendon/lip pieces that will fit over what you have now. Similar to what Sideshow did with theirs. The only downside if you call it that is you'd have to pick a mouth position and freeze it. I suspect most people would want it opened mouthed anyway. I know we can do it the old fashioned way with wires and condoms but I'm thinking the latex will eventually break down and you end up with a fragile mess in a few years.

Like this:
customname0011024x768ux5.jpg

That's precisely what I've been planning to do for at least the last year :D When I refer to me sculpting "the lips n tendons" that's what I'm talking about. The only difference being that the lips n tendons will be sculpted to more closely resemble the first Alien. They should also cover the seams left by the fitting of the teeth mostly, there'll be a little puttying to do but not much :)
I've had no intention of using Latex on Bob for the very reason you mentioned. I'm not sure what rubber I'll use, polyurethane or silicone :unsure though I'd like to use clear urethane rubber as it can be painted easily but I'm not sure about tear resistance & elasticity :confused as I would like to keep the jaw poseable.

Last edited:

:)

Well...he now has a full set of teeth with no bubbles or tips missing :)
664.JPG

I thought I'd show a couple of pic's of the tongue. I've been re-working it a little:
665.JPG

666.JPG

I originally wanted to make the tongue so that it was fully poseable with the hinges hidden under a layer of rubber. This looks like its going to be quite difficult to do :unsure
I'll build a mould & run a cast of what I've got at the moment & then I can look into what my options will be in a bit more detail :)

Last edited:

Stumbled across this cool piece of Alien reference that shows the weirdness of the neck/head connection area.

alienprotosuit_bts31.jpg

Thanks Pixi :)

Stumbled across this cool piece of Alien reference that shows the weirdness of the neck/head connection area.

View attachment 212835

That's an Awesome pic! also quite interesting. Someone else made me aware of a neck piece in this shape, though the one I've seen wasn't an original (I don't think it was anyway).

The problem I had with this was that the top of that tube would be clearly visible in the Aliens open mouth, even hindering its Jaw movement. There would be no room for the tongue. So I'm guessing they either cast it like this & then cut away the top to use on the opening mouth heads or they only used this one on the stunt head :unsure

As with many of the parts used on the first Alien I suspect there was more than one version of the neck piece.

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. I've been checking back several times a week since though (wauw, it's been almost a year and a half now since I stumbled upon this great project) and it still amazes me to see your extraordinary talent, craftmanship and eye for details Leigh.

The sculpting of Bob has been such an exciting process to follow, and seeing the creation of the moulds and following the casting-process has been just as exciting. It's hard to come up with something that hasn't been said before. But I'm totally amazed by the skills shown in this thread.. and it's great to see Bob's slowly coming to life.

The new casting of the teeth looks sharp and clean, very nice! Excited to see how the tongue turns out. :cool

Oh, btw. - I played around in Photoshop with one of the photos of the finished sculpt today - Thought I'd try and visualize how Bob would look like with the dome, some lips, tendons.. and a Gigerish paintjob. :D

Alien_Sculpt_By_Leigh_Artwork_By_Kasper_GigerStyle_zps6109c051.jpg

Cheers, K.

Attachments

• Alien_Sculpt_By_Leigh_Artwork_By_Kasper_GigerStyle_zps8a4f0d62.jpg
    Alien_Sculpt_By_Leigh_Artwork_By_Kasper_GigerStyle_zps8a4f0d62.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

WOW!! :thumbsup
Thank you for the kind words SankaraRaider :)

Your picture is really very good & you've obviously put a lot of work into it! Its great to see what he might look like when he's finished. Thank you :)

You're welcome Leigh! And thanks!! :D

Yeah, did put quite some work into it.
Guess I just can't wait for things to happen
in real life - it's good we've got Photoshop then. :)

I'm sure he'll look extremely cool once casted, assembled and painted.
This great sculpt deserves an equally great paintjob.
Any experience with painting sculptures like this?

The hardest part to do on the picture was the lips and tendons.
I had a some reference-pics to work from, but the parts seem to
change position and size between the various heads..
I'm actually quite curious how you'll tackle those on Bob. :p

WOW!! :thumbsup
Thank you for the kind words SankaraRaider :)

Your picture is really very good & you've obviously put a lot of work into it! Its great to see what he might look like when he's finished. Thank you :)

I've been thinking...It would be cool if you could sculpt some tendon/lip pieces that will fit over what you have now. Similar to what Sideshow did with theirs. The only downside if you call it that is you'd have to pick a mouth position and freeze it. I suspect most people would want it opened mouthed anyway. I know we can do it the old fashioned way with wires and condoms but I'm thinking the latex will eventually break down and you end up with a fragile mess in a few years.

+1

The condom tendons on my Aliens head broke down after only one year...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back