Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

{I'm just thinking that if you find one in five casts - or whatever - turns out junk, you might regret cutting one this nice. Also it is the first cast! The mould is pristine...it will start losing small bits of rubber rapidly...this could be the best cast you get, in terms of fidelity.)

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! Its been two years!?

what an awesome cast! must be really exciting talk about a heck of a journey from what you had 2 years ago. really inspiring thread, been a pleasure to follow from the beginning

Thanks for the kind words & support guy's :)

I'm not going to cut this one up just yet, but I cant fill it with foam, its really very thin at the very back end & has a split. Due to the split I don't think I'll bother slushing another coat either. It wont go to waste though, I need two sacrificial head casts & this will be one :)

I'm hoping to run another cast later on today, with about double the resin. The next cast will hopefully be better & a fair bit thicker.
Assuming it comes out as planned I'll foam fill it.

I'll post an update with a couple of pic's after the next cast :)

Congrats on the first casting Leigh! As has been said before, always such a treat to check this thread......

Ummm, I don't know what to say Leigh, Bob's beautiful! Good luck on your 2nd cast, may it be as pretty as the first. This has to be the longest pregnancy in history and the birth is spectacular. :lol

Awesome work Leigh.. Really looks incredible. Very impressive molding skills to get something that clean.

Fantastic, Leigh, I'm so relieved it's come out well, moulding is always a bit of an uncertain art form, so to see you not only sculpt for the first time, but also create such an amazing and complex mould is nothing short of astounding. Well done. Maybe I'll take that drive to yours sometime and see all this work first hand.

Al

Last edited:

Best thread ever! So happy to see all your hard work has paid off, you must be chuffed to bits :)

Thank you for the kind words & support guy's :)
This thread wouldn't be what it is without all the Fantastic help, support & feedback from you guy's :)

Ok, I didn't get to run a cast last night, so I've just done one this morning. In about 20 minutes I'll be de-moulding it :D
I've used 1.9kg of resin this time but I didn't get the help from my Julia with the rotating like I did last time... its a hell of a workout!!!! :lol
Doing this on a semi regular basis should keep me fit!! Martyn, you can proudly say "I told you so" :lol

I got a little leakage this time. When I bolted up the mould I noticed a slightly larger gap between the two sides than before, I think I must have left a piece of plastic on the flange :unsure I'll have to go over the flanges after de-moulding with a fine toothed comb & I may add some tape to the inside of the jackets near the flanges to improve the seal a bit. I used the tape thing on the jaw mould & it worked a treat! It only adds the thickness of the tape, so there's no distortion but it does seem to improve the seal :)

Alan your welcome over any time, just let me know & to anyone else who wants to come over :)

Awesome work once again Leigh !

I think Giger would have appreciated to have you on his side at the time of A L I E N... At least that's what I understand from what he wrote at the time of production in the book I told you about... Instead he got the "too slow" Eddie Butler and the one he's ranting the most about, Roger Dicken...

KERMIT THE CHESTBURSTER.jpg

This is a photo with a handwritten legend from the hand of Giger that says "Roger Dicken with a desperate Ridley Scott"... I can understand the despair coming from Scott, look at that sculpture, it looks like "Kermit the Chestburster" ! (and you have to consider this stage of the sculpt was the end of a long process that took a few weeks)

Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy that silly pic while your last cast hardens...

Cheers,

Fred

:lol Thanks Fred :)

Bless... he looks cute with eye's :lol

I think I'd need to speed up a bit to work in the industry... just a bit :lol

Right, the second cast is out of the mould & I've got some cleaning up to do where the mould leaked, of course its stuck to the fiberglass quite well :facepalm

Ok, I submit... I'll have to fab some help with the rotating! Overall its another great cast but this time the underside has come out a bit thin for my liking.
The thinnest area's are the two tubes on the underside that run from the middle to the back, other than that, its perfectly usable :) At the very least I can definitely use this one to build the buck for vac- forming the dome, the top & both sides are thick enough :)

I'm wondering if it might be wise to do the pour in two stages :unsure ie, I put a kilo of resin in, rotate & leave to cure for 10 mins, then cut the fill spout & pour the other kilo in :unsure ??? what's peoples thoughts on this?
Also, this may seem like a dumb question but... is it best to pour the foam before or after de-mould?? I'm thinking after so that the cast can be inspected for evenness first. But then that could cause distortion through the pressure of the foam expanding?? :unsure I've not used the A+B foam yet...

Anyhoo, heres a couple of pic's :
657.JPG

658.JPG

As you can see in the second pic, I need to dust the mould a little better next time! these are the only bubbles I've found so far :)

Last edited:

Leigh, some urethanes don't adhere well to themselves, but I have castings done in layers as you propose where this is the case...and it doesn't matter. The second layer can't really separate even if it doesn't stick perfectly, and does add strength. If you then fill with foam, you should be fine.

That said, I take back what I said earlier about re-seating the first cast in the mould. I forgot about all that ribbed-for-her-pleasure tubing. :lol It would be easy to crush some of that detail - silicone can crush, and once done there is no fixing it.

Astonishingly bubble-free work. :thumbsup

Oh, and...I told you so. :lol

PS just re-read and realised what you were really asking. DO NOT USE THE FOAM OUTSIDE THE MOULD!!! :lol

It will pretty much explode. :lol

Just mix and pour, quick as you like because the stuff doesn't wait around. Left at atmospheric pressure it will expand a lot but be very low-density, i.e. soft. Read the material data sheet and work out the rough volume you need to fill. Mix the right amount, leave the plug out until the foam has replaced the air in the mould, then plug it. If it starts to force its way out of the seams, you used too much. :lol (Relieve the pressure for a while if this happens. It might mean the cast has cracked.)

Oh, mind that it really does expand with a bit of force, is sticky as hell and takes quite a lot longer to set all the way through than resin.

Last edited:

Martyn, Thank you :)

I was also reluctant to put it back in the mould for that very reason :) I have a good feeling about doing the two pour method, I'll give it a try on the next one & report on how it goes :)

With the foam, could I knock up a bit & pour it in, with the mould on its end? the rear end, so that it fills just under half way when expanded. Then flip it on to its nose & pour the other end so the two join in the middle? I'm thinking this way might reduce the pressure on the inside of the cast/mould. Like filling a large bore tube that's open at the top. I'm thinking it has all the space above to expand into with the pour spout open as well. Then when I flip it on to its nose, it'll fill & expand up to the previous pour & then out the pour spout... what do you think?
I'm thinking this way I can build the foam in layers until I'm confident with the amount I would need to use in each head, without making a sticky mess everywhere :unsure

Dear God those castings look superb, outstanding enough to go in any predator trophy case!!!!! A fantastic set of results from a heroic thread. Bravo.

Leigh, that'll work fine. You ideally *want* a little bit of pressure but it is tricky to get right. It will still add strength even setting at one atmosphere.

Leigh, did you ever cast the Tongue........that alone was a brilliant work of art!!!! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back