Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Oh, now we can really see what you meant about the fourth piece for the mould. Yeah, that should work nicely. :thumbsup

Thanks guy's :)

Yeah, that 4th piece is all about mould longevity. You can see the hinge points for the jaw & the tongue (sticking up) there are also some quite deep area's either side to clear the jaw as it closes into the head. If I had built the mould in two half's I would have had to try to pull the mould over & out of that lot from the side, I can only see that leading to rip's & damage to the mould.
The way I've done this is in an effort to reduce as much ware as possible, by having as many of the undercuts as possible pull directly away without trapping.
It is alot more work I expect. As I understand it, addition cure silicone it tougher & longer lasting but more expensive. I'm using condensation cure, so I'm being as cautious as I know how :)

The other advantage to me is, if I choose at any point to make a GRP head I can close the 3 main parts up & lay glass & resin through the large hole left open by leaving the 4th part out. I can then lay up the front area of the 4th part & bond it in afterwards :)

Well, that's all the theory anyway :lol

Here's another pic:
635.JPG

Last edited:

Way to go Leigh, that mould is magnificent. Inspiring to the last :thumbsup

Condensation cure silicone is the one to start with, thats for sure. Addition cure silicone is a right diva and has issues with all sorts of materials and substances. Still the best for results and longevity though, just got to be sure nothing thats used will inhibit the cure process :p

Wow Leigh, I can't believe we are coming up on 2 years since this thread started! You have had us on the edge of our seats with every post and it has been worth it. Superior job, even the molding process is a work of art.

Thank you guy's :)

Started on the other side today. In this heat the rubber's going off much quicker! I'm having to knock up only 100-150 grams at a time rather than 200 grams.
Its gonna take me all day again :)
637.JPG

636.JPG

That's the first skin coat, got another one of those & then I can start applying the thixo coats :)

Last edited:

Looking great Leigh that's the ticket take your time and get it right the 1st time, awesome work!

Thanks Ray :)

I'm still at it :sleep Just finished bulking it out with the thixo, got another 2-3 thixo's & then one non-thixo & I'm done :)

Holy Jeebus!
I'd seen this thread pop up before but never checked it out. What a fool I've been.

This thing is outstanding! Inspirational! I need to go to Uncle Larry's Superlative Warehouse to pick up some new words to describe this.

LOL Thank you :)

I'll be prepping up for the final part of this mould tomorrow :)
It's been an interesting learning curve making this head mould. I think I'd like to try out the epoxy resin for the jackets next time, this polyester is just far too smelly to use indoors :sick
638.JPG

640.JPG

:)

Last edited:

WOW, the mold now looks very close to a Body Snatcher's spore !!!

:eek

(great work once again !)

Fred

Last edited:

I'm officially addicted to this thread!

"what did I forget today.... oh check out bob the alien!"

How could you forget to check progress on this build?!?!

Most brilliant work!:love

Thank you guy's :)

OK, I've made the last rubber part of the head mould :D
I was worried that it might leak down between the model & the other mould parts while I was pouring it but it came out great with no leakage at all :D
I left that for a good day to cure & I've just finished laying up the fiberglass jacket for this part.
I'll let that harden & then clean up the edges before I post pic's of that :)

Here's the pic's of the rubber part:
641.JPG

643.JPG

I've made the pour spout by gluing a small disposable smooth sided plastic cup to the underside of the head & then pouring the rubber around it. I also poured some inside it for a plug :)

I need to get some more M6 bolts & wing nuts & some SG2000L which has a longer pot life than SG2000, then I can start casting :D

Hopefully I'll be updating this later on with some pic's of the jacket part :)

Last edited:

"OK, the money's safe". :lol

Cat can knock it off the table now...won't matter...your achievement is secure. Feel good? :)

:) I'll feel better when I've de-moulded it! I'm looking forward to inspecting the moulds & I'll have some cleaning to do.
The head didn't get clear coated. The reason, I got a little paint reaction between the clear coat & the Humbrol enamel when I clear coated the base.
Due to that I thought better of clear coating the head, unfortunately some of the enamel sticks a little to the mould & will need cleaning off.

White spirit & nail polish remover seem to do the job well enough, though I am a little concerned I might damage the mould using either of those in any quantity :unsure
I'm tempted to just use soap (washing up liquid) & hot water & see how it goes???

I!d try Easy-off, I reckon. Alkaline, like soap, but stronger.

Also alot of times little paint and primer chunks pop out during the first casting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back