Building a car scale model - any advices?

MadMike

i found a usb-hub without any sheathing or covering or something like that, only the circuit board with the ports and the cable (no idea where it came from, but is was in one of my drawers :lol)

as it still works, but this naked hub looks somehow strange, i thought of something to build around the board, and since there are also three LEDs attached to the board (two blue and one red), the idea came to my mind to put it into a scale model of a car and to use the LEDs for the lights.

now, the car i'm heading for is a BMW 3 series from 1993 (the E30, for those who know the production codes) in the scale of 1:200 (roundabout).
it is a very angular car, which gives me a good basis to start with pieces of wood glued together, and bondoing the edges afterwards.

now, as i often have plans that sound very easy and turn out to be very difficult or rather impossible to do (at least not the way i planned them), i asked you: has anyone ever made a scratchbuild of a scale model of a car? anything i should look out for / avoid / do in any case?

thanks in advance,
Michael

oh, totally forgot about about the scale model section of this forum. if you think it's better posted their, feel free to move the thread

First thing you need to do is double check your scales! A car that is 1/64 is the size of a Hotwheels car. At 1/87 scale your looking at about an inch or less. At 1/200 scale!? Your looking at a car that will fit on your fingernail with lots of room to spare.

Last edited:
oh, sorry, a zero too much, it will be 1:20 (the original car has a length of 4360mm, my model should be 218mm long

Establish wheel base, and spread and lock that in first...

Find a dead on side profile of the car, scale it to the wheel base...

Find dead on front and back profiles, and scale them to the width...

Trace, measure, take angles of all the edges of those profiles and you will have a decent blueprint to work with...

If you are real lucking you might be able to fine line drawings online that will save you a lot of work, or even a 3D model...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back