Alice Madness Returns Mad Hatter Hat

trebory6

So this is the Mad Hatter's Hat from American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns.

I made this because I REALLY wanted to bring something to life from the game, but as I'm not a girl, and I don't have any access to an etching Machine to be able to make the Vorpal Blade's designs, I decided to do the Mad Hatter Hat.

Since I finished it, I have been thinking about doing the rest of the costume, and commissioning one of my Make-Up Artist friends to be able to make Mad Hatter Prosthetics. The rest of the costume is easy.

I'll be posting pictures about how I went about making it later tonight or tomorrow, but I don't have time right now as I'm currently getting ready for Comic-Con.

But without further ado, here is my Mad Hatter Hat (The Last one is a makeshift MH walking stick):

So something went wrong with my sync between my phone and computer, so iPhoto deleted my photos off my phone without syncing.

But I have a few pictures left that I saved.

So first of all, the Base of the Hat is actually from another top hat. Specifically the Nightmare Before Christmas Top Hat that you can get from Disneyland. My roommate works at Disney so I got to go to Company D and get this hat for around $7.
afjxau.png

Then I cut the top part off, and created a wire frame about 2.5 feet tall out of Copper Wire, and soldered it together, leaving the bottom ring open for flexibility and to leave room for a bigger head to be able to wear it. I then sewed it and attached it to the base of the NBC Hat. It was also great, because the NBC hat had a drawstring to adjust the tightness so that it would stay on my head in spite of it being VERY top heavy.
nvbplt.jpg

I then did research on the symbols and the symbol placements, and from many screenshots and through in-game study of Mad Hatter's Hat, i created a test grid that displayed the placement and the individual lengths and pattern of the Hat. I was originally going to use this for the final stencil, but used the wrong fabric paint.
4vspvq.jpg

Testing proportions:
npni1d.jpg

So the next step is buying the fabric. I used Papyrus Linen, it had the perfect offwhite color and the perfect texture for the hat. I got it at Joann's for around $4 a yard, as it was luckily on sale. I also got some STENCIL Fabric Paint(Regular Fabric paint will not do, I made this mistake, it bleeds like no other) After getting the fabric, I cut out a 35x35in square.

Now comes the hard part, remember when I said I was using the original paper as the main stencil? Well, Michael's sold me the wrong fabric paint, so it ended up being VERY blotchy and ruined. BUT! I had made top down pictures of that stencil so I translated it into photoshop and printed it out on multiple pages of card stock.
fbkq9y.jpg

After that, I cut out all the squares and symbols and used stencil glue to hold them in place in the grid and spray painted the Stencil Fabric Spray paint over it, and voila!
2yxotjt.jpg

Then the easy part comes, where I just sewed it together, and put it over the frame. It was supposed to have a very loose fit, and I'm thinking about stiffening it up with the wrinkles much more even like it is in the game.
n154rp.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back