Tron (1982) Sark Costume (WIP)

thormungandr

Alright so I've already made a Tron costume due to the fact that it is my favorite movie. I made it using spandex, hockey gear, glow paint, and reflective tape. Here is what I came up with:
197868_205446192815652_100000508198394_759430_4100203_n.jpg

29002_380643437005_722267005_3869070_2866124_n.jpg

Glowing circuits

44195_432733027005_722267005_5102001_6074836_n.jpg

el wired disc

33711_442657212005_722267005_5284568_7749762_n.jpg

As you can see I even made my ex gf a Yori outfit. Though due to time restraints I never finished it. You can tell by looking at the awful hat and the tennis shoes.

so the reason I bring this past costume up is because since making this costume (and especially after Yori), I've wanted to make a Tron costume that isn't blue. And seeing as Sark is such an awesome villain, this has been a goal of mine for some time. Though I start to think about how intricate I want it, when it comes down to it none of the intricacy really matters as my original Tron costume was quite a hit at conventions anyways and a costume I end up wearing even if I don't plan on it. So I guess it makes sense to make another one especially since they are so fun to make.

So one thing I thought about was Sark's layers.
tumblr_lm54ntCVxO1qhz4apo1_500.jpg

As you can see, he has weird leg pads, a dance belt, and short cut top on. I stressed so much time thinking about these. My solution is what I did for the belt on my original Tron: just draw it on. More layers could end up costing more money than I need and drawing it on will look cool since when the lights go out theres more glowing lines. And finding a dance belt that doesnt have a thong in the back might prove hard :$.

I bought the red glow paint from glopaint.com (actually from dharmatrading.com but glopaint.com is the company that makes it and they were discontinued at the time but dharma was still selling them). When I received them in the mail I was quite disappointed with what I received. The red paint was a light red that almost appeared pink. It glows orange in the dark though. I almost considered buying the brush on red paint from glowinc.com but I figured I'd do a test run on a garment with the other stuff I bought
07-21-11_1528.jpg

To be honest I actually kinda like the way it turned out. Though a deep red glow would be cool like the glow inc kind, brushing it on would be much more difficult that the squeeze tube that this kind has that I can just draw with.

Finally the part I was dreading the most was the hood. What I decided to do is just get a white ski mask thats open faced and I can just pull under my chin. I work at medieval times and the "chainmail hoods" (basically black fabric with silver stitching in it) we use have the perfect shape but I dont have anyone to sew a white one for me so I'm just going to have to go with the the balaclava ski mask for now. The head piece will be made using craft foam and reflective tape and will be velcroed to the hood. I will post progress pictures when I order my spandex and start work on it.

A little update. Got my spandex in the mail today (wow that was fast) and started painting the design. So far I only have the big chest piece done but need to add the circuits to it. Then I have a ton of line drawing I have to do o_0

"Thank you Master Control."

Done with the upper torso and crotch area. Still need to do the legs, arms, and back. The legs is what I'm dreading the most.
(ignore the black reference picture behind it. I made it to draw the chest area and the V in the crotch. Don't wanna mess it up permenantly)

Can't wait to see it finished!

One hting though is that the in the Sark suit the upper chest area is actually a padded vest and not part of the spandex undersuit.

Nick

Yeah if you read through my first post I did make note of that. Fact of the matter is I cant sew and since I'm using glow paint I thought it would look cool to have more lines. Same deal with the dance belt which I could technically find but most of the ones I've seen have thongs in the back. No thanks :lol
Can't wait to see it finished!

One hting though is that the in the Sark suit the upper chest area is actually a padded vest and not part of the spandex undersuit.

Nick

"Get them...send out every game tank on the grid...GET THEM!"

Finished the front side of the legs. Now All I have to do is the back of the legs and do the arms. Running out of paint though :eek. But I come not empty handed, I have also attached a picture of it in the dark.

does anyone know if I were to dye my body suit thats already painted with the glow in the dark fabric paint would it ruin the paint? Kinda want to dye it gray but not sure if its too late

Update:

So it appears I probably don't have enough paint to do the arms nor do I want to have to order a bottle (im lazy) so I'm going to wait until con time before I endeavor in those. A friend of mine is making the bracers out of leather and I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about the shoulder pads. As for the headpiece I have begun work

So found out the moved the work halloween costume party a week earlier making it less than a week away. Eek! I would like to go into more details with certain things and finish my disc (my bracers should be done being made tomorrow and I will reflectify it soon after). Here's what I got done today. You may recognize them as the same type of shoulder pads I have on my Tron original outfit. Thats because they are. They got beat up and the tape was falling off so I just ripped the tape off, repainted it, and put the Sark circuits in it. I'm planning on getting new pads for Tron eventually anyway so its not a huge deal.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back