Tron (1982) Guard Build

MrSinistar

vlcsnap-2015-05-29-03h45m53s90.png

Need help IDing a lot of stuff here.

Parts:
*Respirator (what type of respirator though?)
*Lots of spandex, fabric and foam
*Belt (with little pack in front...what is that?)
*Unknown gloves
*Unknown knee pads
*Military boots?

I'm possibly speculating that they used football shoulder pads for support of the foam pads that are visible.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

- Max

Last edited:
Re: Tron (1982) Guard Research

Also, look up hockey gloves. Those are hockey gloves for sure, and because they are used in so many screen used costumes (ALIEN spacesuits, etc) I am sure that there are experts here who can help you identify the proper type. The masks are painters' respirators with a little trim around the filters. This is a cool thread!

Also, look up hockey gloves. Those are hockey gloves for sure, and because they are used in so many screen used costumes (ALIEN spacesuits, etc) I am sure that there are experts here who can help you identify the proper type. The masks are painters' respirators with a little trim around the filters. This is a cool thread!

They're definitely not the ALIEN spacesuit hockey gloves, unfortunately. Are they goalie gloves or something?

I found the mask, but I'm going to hold back on the name and manufacture info until after I can get the part. Good news is that they still make them, so getting one that's 90% accurate should be easy.

Thanks a lot, switchblade! Found a leather handcuff case that matches great. :)

Can't wait to see what comes up on this. Never did any research on this character!

Nick

My friend and owner of one of the biggest Tron collections and archives, David Arnspiger sent me a few pics of his behind-the-scene guard pictures. They're really nice high quality. I went ahead and put his watermark on the pics, as he's very protective of his archives and I respect that.

Guard_front.jpg

Guard_side.jpg

Also, the respirators are Binks Twin Cartridge Respirators. The ones I got were model 40-128. Unfortunately, I believe the specific cartridges seen above are out of production, but the respirators themselves are still made today. Here's what they look like today and the look really, really close:

40-128.jpg

MSA also makes a respirator that matches really close too. It's a MSA Comfo or Comfo II.

ms808072_1.jpg

Those gloves are nuts. I never seen anything like those before. I hope that when I do find them, they're easily attainable.

Last edited:

The boots look like motorcycle police boots that have been painted white and with a custom sole that blends the heel in with the rest of the sole. Here's a pair that's really close, just change the sole out, paint it white and you're good to go.

http://www.motorcowboy.com/product/BLAC4/Police-Motor-Patrol-Boots-all-sizes.html

As for the gloves, I'd also take a look at lacrosse and field hockey gloves, I believe that those two sports would also have heavily padded gloves.

Last edited:

The boots look like motorcycle police boots that have been painted white and with a custom sole that blends the heel in with the rest of the sole. Here's a pair that's really close, just change the sole out, paint it white and you're good to go.

Custom Boots by Motorcowboy Police Motor Patrol Boots all sizes

As for the gloves, I'd also take a look at lacrosse and field hockey gloves, I believe that those two sports would also have heavily padded gloves.

Yup, those look right! Thanks, Riceball! :D All of the other program boots I've seen have the same soles as well, so I'm wondering if they replaced all of them or someone manufactured boots with soles and no heel.

I'll go ahead and look into those types of gloves. Thanks!

Yup, those look right! Thanks, Riceball! :D All of the other program boots I've seen have the same soles as well, so I'm wondering if they replaced all of them or someone manufactured boots with soles and no heel.

I'll go ahead and look into those types of gloves. Thanks!

I'd imagine that they were all re-soled, at least the guard boots since I've never seen a riding boot (motor or equestrian) without a distinct heel. After doing a little quick research I found that that type of sole is called a wedge sole and I imagine that you could probably get the boots re-soled or even ask if you could get the boots made with a wedge sole.

I'd imagine that they were all re-soled, at least the guard boots since I've never seen a riding boot (motor or equestrian) without a distinct heel. After doing a little quick research I found that that type of sole is called a wedge sole and I imagine that you could probably get the boots re-soled or even ask if you could get the boots made with a wedge sole.

Thanks Riceball! I'll definitely do that. That explains why finding the other program boots let to no matches...that custom wedge boot, lol.

In other news, my gas mask came in the mail today! This thing looks like it has never been used...it even came in it's original box (dated 1979 hahaha)!

185493_2289352240288_1443438409_2735428_6177031_n.jpg

197704_2289352720300_1443438409_2735429_1923435_n.jpg

189203_2289353040308_1443438409_2735430_6007210_n.jpg

224459_2289353720325_1443438409_2735432_2525494_n.jpg

252119_2289354080334_1443438409_2735433_7596280_n.jpg

281319_2289354760351_1443438409_2735435_6294202_n.jpg

I'll look into painting it soon. Also, no luck on the gloves. :( Haven't found anything that looks remotely like them, except for the Alien Spacesuit hockey gloves and those barely even match. I'm really hoping those gloves won't be as rare as the original Tron helmets: the Winnwell hockey helmet.

I think I may have a relatively close solution to your glove dilemma. My dad's old hockey equipment (late 70s approx.) was left out due to needing the suitcase they were stored in, so I thought I'd compare them to your pics since they were cooper gloves and I knew they used a cooper helmet for the programs. They're a bit funky from being stored in the basement on top of which flooded last night, but they look pretty close to the reference pictures to me, namely in the fingers since they're one solid piece like a mitten rather than split like a glove. XL1 is the only make I could find on them, but I haven't checked the other glove for a tag of any kind. Hopefully this will help.

I think I may have a relatively close solution to your glove dilemma. My dad's old hockey equipment (late 70s approx.) was left out due to needing the suitcase they were stored in, so I thought I'd compare them to your pics since they were cooper gloves and I knew they used a cooper helmet for the programs. They're a bit funky from being stored in the basement on top of which flooded last night, but they look pretty close to the reference pictures to me, namely in the fingers since they're one solid piece like a mitten rather than split like a glove. XL1 is the only make I could find on them, but I haven't checked the other glove for a tag of any kind. Hopefully this will help.

THAT'S IT!!! :D Huh, very interesting name... it reminds me of the Cooper XL7 which is the name for the rare helmet that Mystery Science Theater 3000 used for Crow's hockey mask net.

I hope I can find these guys. Just in case, I sent you a PM. ;)

Thanks a lot, Icey!! :D

Well, it's pretty much confirmed that getting Cooper XL1 gloves ain't going to be easy. I saw one pair on eBay about a month ago, but I got outbid in the last second I haven't seen any online since.

I'm probably just gonna get some more common Cooper gloves and modify them to make them more like the XL1.

Any advice on what type of interfacing/foam/stuffing I should use for the padded parts of the costume?

Anymore work on this?

Unfortunately, no. I just got laid off so all of my projects are on hold. I'm thinking of making a mold of the vintage respirator caps so that you can get a new respirator while still having the same filter cap.

Those Cooper XL1s are unbelievably difficult to find.

I have a little pouch like that. Not quite the same shape though. Inside is a small puck shaped brass bottle filled with oil for rifles.
Must be WWI or II.

Can't find any images of the holder. The bottle looks like this;

140769118078.jpg

Alright! This build is back on the road again. Just got the uber rare Cooper XL1 off of eBay. I'll post pics when they arrive soon.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back