Making fake liquid for prop bottles help????

Tom1971

Sr Member
Anyone know how to make fake liquid. In other words a material you can poor in a bottle or glass and it will harden and look like liquid but is solid so no spilling if it gets knocked over.

Need it for my Blade Runner display.

Whiskey, Blue Alcohol, Clear for Vodka, etc.

Thanks

Clear resin- add color of your choice. Bubbles in glass - pour resin and let harden. No bubbles - need pressure pot.

I've seen products like this in Micheals crafts stors as well as ACMoore. I'm sure you could dye them to color of choice as the only ones I had seen were clear drying.

I was thinking of trying the stuff they use for water in miniature gaming landscapes. I tried white glue but it shrinks. My problem is none of the liquids are clear, they're all various colors.

The pressure pot is used to remove the air from the resin before you pour it. So you'd put a cup of your resin in the pot, turn on the pump, wait for the bubbles to froth up and fall, then turn off the machine and pour the resin carefully into your vessel.

For onstage props in theatre we have used Gel candle wax for liquids. Warm and melt down on the stove, add some candle dye to get the color you want ( a little of this stuff goes a long way ) and away ya go. I've used it alot to make champagne so the bubbles worked out in my favor, but it is pourable to not get bubbles. One word of caution as your pouring hot liquids be careful what your pouring into as some plastic glasses have a tendency to melt.

-Chris

Encapso K® Water Clear Rubber Product Information | Smooth-On

I use this stuff regularly when making vases with fake flowers for teachers in local schools. They don't want actual water or flowers, but they want it to look as real as possible. Pour slowly and carefully down the side of the container and you can avoid bubbles completely. It's easy to work with and to dye, too. The best part is that its optical distortion almost perfectly matches filtered water.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back