logans run flamegun

Pete Schmitz

I am trying to start a project to replicate a screen used flamegun. I have page 1 of the studio blueprints with the measurements- anyone have pages 2 and 3? If all goes according to plan I may have a few extra pieces milled for those interested.

blue1a.jpg

Any project is a cool thing, but are you trying to do something which the existing replica guns don't capture?

There are some blueprints on the web done by a guy who had access to some screen used examples back in the late '70's, they might be of interest also, although I understand his guns were not 100% accurate.

Are you sure this is an original blueprint? Even if it is, it looks to me like the screen-used guns didn't follow this blueprint very closely.

I'm afraid that blueprint won't do much but help you build a really bad replica. I wouldn't consider it to be much more than a concept draft. As another member already mentioned, they didn't exactly follow those when it came time to build the props.

A number of things were changed by the time Fred Cramer started cramming lighter valve parts and giant gates batteries in them.

Good luck on your build just the same. I'd start with photos of some of the more accurate replicas out there. There's also a great blueprint out there that has the correct measurments for all the outside goods.

By the way, Are you talking about making a static or a working replica?

Keep us posted. We have lots of well armed Sandmen around here who love such threads. :thumbsup

Never saw that blueprint before and boy DID they change from that original design but now I know where some of the details on the replicas that have been off from screen used through the years came from.

Jim

Interesting blueprint. The holster resembles the style used in the television series. Who is this person
from the late 70s who used to make replicas? Would that be Bill Blake? I have one of this static pistols,
made in 1991. Looks very accurate.

~Ron

<div class='quotetop'>(Prop Medjai @ Aug 28 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1308716[/snapback]</div>
Who is this person
from the late 70s who used to make replicas? Would that be Bill Blake? I have one of this static pistols,
made in 1991. Looks very accurate.

~Ron
[/b]

Bill did make static Pistols in the late 70's early 80's.

This is the first time I have heard of him doing anything in the 90's.

Late 80's he fell off the face of the earth. :lol

His replicas were about as accurate as MW's when it was all said and done. Certainly some of the nicer ones but far from bang-on. Both made by seemingly great guys and big fans too.

Ron--I have NO expertise in these things, although I love the working ones and was a huge fan when I was younger.

I met Bill Blake in the late ‘70's/early ‘80's through Fay Metz, president then of the Logan’s Run Organization of Fans (?). He was exceedingly kind to a mere kid, and showed me the whole layout of how the guns worked. I was in awe of his working flame gun.

My understanding from those who (I assume) know more than I is that his early guns at any rate are not 100%. I posted a picture of one from that early era awhile back.

Odd though, I see that he apparently owned a film-used original, and it was a picture of HIS gun which was criticized as inaccurate here a year or so ago. Hmmm...

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Aug 28 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]1308752[/snapback]</div>
Ron--I have NO expertise in these things, although I love the working ones and was a huge fan when I was younger.

I met Bill Blake in the late ‘70's/early ‘80's through Fay Metz, president then of the Logan’s Run Organization of Fans (?). He was exceedingly kind to a mere kid, and showed me the whole layout of how the guns worked. I was in awe of his working flame gun.

My understanding from those who (I assume) know more than I is that his early guns at any rate are not 100%. I posted a picture of one from that early era awhile back.

Odd though, I see that he apparently owned a film-used original, and it was a picture of HIS gun which was criticized as inaccurate here a year or so ago. Hmmm...
[/b]

I missed that...Or was that the one that had been converted to the TV version? People do get confused with the changes. I only know of two remaining Movie guns that were not altered for the series.

Rylo--maybe there's a timeline issue here, or misinformation somewhere. There's a picture on the web of him from the era in which I knew him, and he's firing a gun which is claimed to be an original. I expect that's the gun I took photos of around that time. Since that was '78, I think that's pre-series, and certainly the gun in question was in film form.

But all I actually remember myself of what he told me back then is that after the movie came out he had got in contact with the guy who made the guns and got all the info, and made his own replicas working in a machine shop class. He had some access to the studios due to his work doing promotions for Planet of the Apes movies in full makeup.

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Aug 28 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1308776[/snapback]</div>
Rylo--maybe there's a timeline issue here, or misinformation somewhere. There's a picture on the web of him from the era in which I knew him, and he's firing a gun which is claimed to be an original. I expect that's the gun I took photos of around that time. Since that was '78, I think that's pre-series, and certainly the gun in question was in film form.

But all I actually remember myself of what he told me back then is that after the movie came out he had got in contact with the guy who made the guns and got all the info, and made his own replicas working in a machine shop class. He had some access to the studios due to his work doing promotions for Planet of the Apes movies in full makeup.
[/b]

Yep, he used the match-o-matic valves with booster springs just like the originals so his replicas inherited the same problems as the screen props. But, hey...his dedication to the prop paved the way for everyone who came later. He is the grandfather of the replica. He didn't do many working pieces at all.

In fact. I've never seen one in person or talked with anyone who has one.

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Aug 28 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1308776[/snapback]</div>
[/b]
I don't want to take this thread too off-course but Bill was a little bit of a Con-man.

I knew him back when he was doing supposed "Promo" work for Fox on the Ape Movies.

He ripped me off for an Ape appliance and I was not the only one I later found out, untill I finally caught up to him and got my cash back.

Paula Crist used to work with him and she DOES have screen-time as a Human on "Battle for The Planet of The Apes".

She was the one who imo had the connection with Fox, not Bill.

She was also one of the People on Carrousel on "Logans Run", the shortest, and Bill was in the carrousell crowd as well he can be spotted just barely.

Paula was great and was a real sweetheart , while Bill you had to take with a grain of salt.

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Aug 28 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]1308785[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Aug 28 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1308776[/snapback]
[/b]
I don't want to take this thread too off-course but Bill was a little bit of a Con-man.

I knew him back when he was doing supposed "Promo" work for Fox on the Ape Movies.

He ripped me off for an Ape appliance and I was not the only one I later found out, untill I finally caught up to him and got my cash back.

Paula Crist used to work with him and she DOES have screen-time as a Human on "Battle for The Planet of The Apes".

She was the one who imo had the connection with Fox, not Bill.

She was also one of the People on Carrousel on "Logans Run", the shortest, and Bill was in the carrousell crowd as well he can be spotted just barely.

Paula was great and was a real sweetheart , while Bill you had to take with a grain of salt.
[/b][/quote]

Heard that too.

Serafino,

I used to hang out with Bill Blake a lot during the mid to late eighties. He did, indeed, own a screen-used
flamegun which turned up missing for a time. Turns out he left it under the seat of my car and had
forgotten he put it there. It stayed hidden there for almost a year until I found it while vacuuming the
carpet. I gave it back...

He was always astonished that I picked up a screen-used Follower from an old memoribilia store on
Sunset Blvd for $15.00. At that time, they were also selling a rubber stunt gun with metal holster for
$25.00. Wish I could've gotten the gun too, but I was poor at the time.

I was also a member of the Logan's Run Organization of Fans back in the day. I was really disappointed
when Fay closed up shop. I especially liked her filmbook segemnts of the uncut version of the movie
in the newsletters.

So long ago...

~Ron

To answer some questions- I have the blake blueprints, and the photoset of the breakdown of an "original" prop. I guess I could use photoshop and do all the math, etc, to get it exact, but I am assuming many have already done that. I was hoping to not have to step in the shoes of those before on that. SO I am open to submission...hehe. As to the match -o-matic- I like my leg like it is.. not burned all the hell up and me screaming, rolling around, cursing that prop, so I do not believe in cannon on that- gain, suggestions welcome. I know many here have done this already, and I would not presume to insult their labor by asking for a free ride- lets just start off with some tantalizing hints and go from there- sound good?

I can suggest cutting corners is not the way to go on this type of project. IÂ’ve owned 3 different replica working guns through the years and they were all custom pieces of work, all different from each other in design, all with their own valve design.

About the only thing they had in common was that carbide went in one end and flame came out the other. :D

Jim

Hey Rich, I like the info on your site, but where do you list the pieces you have for sale?

Wow, Paula Crist and Bill Blake. Haven't heard their names in years. I think the last time I saw Bill Blake was at "Fantasticon" at the Bonaventure hotel.

(Oops, no not Fantasticon, that's Bill Cambell's convention... D'oh.)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back