Jumanji Game Board replica - 15/05/13 Update - Board Edges

Re: Jumanji Game Board replica

Well, after about a year on the back burner, the board is back to being worked on! :)

I will very shortly be placing an order for wood (possibly MDF) to build the entire body of the game.

In the mean time, my friend the wood carver has finished the majority of the antique furniture restoration he's been doing and has started on the game pieces. :thumbsup

First up is the Rhino. One thing to note is that the tokens of each animal in the movie are not all exactly the same. There are very slight variations in their appearance. The most obvious one is that sometimes they have a small carved base, and sometimes they don't:

RhinoRef3.png
RhinoRef.jpg

Base------------------------No base

And one last reference pic:

RhinoRef2.jpg

(I believe this one has a base, though it is hidden in the movie by the side of the board).

And here's the replica, carved from wood:

JumanjiRhinoCarving.jpg

And painted:

JumanjiRhino2.jpg

JumanjiRhino1.jpg

JumanjiRhino3.jpg

The elephant and crocodile are being worked on at the moment.... :):thumbsup

Re: Jumanji Game Board replica - 16/10/12 Update - Token 1

That's amazing! I haven't started mines yet. But I was planning on sculpting it out of clay or maybe model it in 3d to be printed at shapeways or something.

That's amazing! I haven't started mines yet. But I was planning on sculpting it out of clay or maybe model it in 3d to be printed at shapeways or something.

if you end up doing the 3D modeling, are you going to make it hollow or solid because shapeways gets expensive with solid stuff.

This type of thing is so much nicer and cheaper to mold the old fashioned way.

if you end up doing the 3D modeling, are you going to make it hollow or solid because shapeways gets expensive with solid stuff.

I was thinking solid but I want to leave a hallowed area on the bottom for a magnet so if I drop a token on the board it'll position itself at a starting point right side up just like in the movie. I think that would be cool.

I was thinking solid but I want to leave a hallowed area on the bottom for a magnet so if I drop a token on the board it'll position itself at a starting point right side up just like in the movie. I think that would be cool.

It really would. I was considering doing something like that. But I was trying to figure out how I would make the game magnetic itself. Unless you made the paths, or at least the starting spot, metal...

I'm installing 8mm diameter super strong magnets into the bottom of each game piece. By placing other strong magnets underneath the gameboard, under each game piece, I can (manually) move each piece along the path (the magnetism still works really well through the 10mm MDF). It looks cool. Will have to film it when the board's finished.

I've ordered cedar to finish building the board, and the other 3 game pieces should be finished within a week. :thumbsup

@howlrunner thats great I actually had this idea a while ago for if I ever made the jumanji board i would install a system of tracks and motors with strong magnets that will move the pieces automatically maybe you can do that btw how much would a resin copy of the game cost?

If we do a resin copy of the board (would like to, but lots to work out) price will be discussed in the appropriate thread in the Junkyard.

No huge updates at the moment, but I've got the dice done. While it would have been simpler to use pre-made dice, the dice in Jumanji have a much more hand-made look to them, both in the weathering and the hole placement/shape. But most importantly, the dice in Jumanji have a unique 6-hole placement that I've never seen in any other dice, with the dots in the 2nd row being closer to each other than the dots in the 1st and 3rd row. Here's the oversized prop that was used in the film:

Jamanji-Dice3-300x271.jpg

I bought some pre-cut 16mm wooden cubes, drilled holes in them and painted. Interestingly, not all the dice seen in the movie are the same - some have the 3 spots sloping diagonally like / and others like \ . And some have the 4 and 3 on opposite sides. And it's not just that the image/film has been flipped.

JumanjiDice.jpg

Isn't that how dice are supposed to be? Opposite sides always add up to 7.

He means that the placement of the numbers was different.

Also, about the dice. I was lucky enough to find some real ivory dice years back that matched pretty well with what was satisfactory for what I was doing at the time, and I really dont think I'll ever get rid of them. They just have this certain characteristic that I find interesting, you know? I'm always thinking, "Man, I wonder who held these dice and what kind of person were they? Were these dice used to win a grand prize, or to condemn the user the their death?" My mind is always asking questions like that...

Last edited:

Isn't that how dice are supposed to be? Opposite sides always add up to 7.

Thanks correct, but as JumanjiFan said, I meant the placement/side position.

If you take this image for reference:

Jamanji-Dice3-300x271.jpg

Some dice have the 4 spots at the front and the 3 spots at the back (as shown in this picture), whereas some dice have the 3 spots at the front and the 4 spots at the back.

Thats brilliant... Awesome job... Another guy here with +1 for a run... :)

Very cool... the rhino looks just great, so the dices... :thumbsup But don't try to cheat... :lol

Thats brilliant... Awesome job... Another guy here with +1 for a run... :)

Very cool... the rhino looks just great, so the dices... :thumbsup But don't try to cheat... :lol

Uh oh. I think i see some hair growing extensively fast!

That's very good but how is the black circle in the middle going to show words

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back