Star Wars The Force Unleashed II - General Rahm Kota WIP

Re: The Force Unleashed II - General Rahm Kota WIP

That makes two of us Zax. :cool

Stick around. Eventually I'll post up some cool sheit. :D

You're a master at this!
This thread has given me a lot of ideas for my own work, thanks for the pointers Koda.

Thanks Dan. I post up process and progress pix to hopefully help other people do what I did; to realize that one can accurately recreate a costume from scratch with no previous crafting knowlege or skills. That it's all out there given enough time, research and patience. Well, that and to get some camera time at cons (hey, I'm honest).

And I'm no master, not by a long shot. I'm just a grunt who keeps trying, learning and making mistakes. But having a ton of fun doing it. :D

~ Bill C.

I wanted to share something I stumbled upon this morning. The reference images show faint corner dots on the metal strap buckles that seem to appear and disappear as the position and lighting changes. After ruining my spare 1.75" strap buckle trying to add the dots with sandpaper I took a pencil and chucked it up in my drill-press. I spinned it up and pressed the eraser end against the diagonal-brushed surface of the buckle. The results were quite nice. Sorry for the underexposure, I had to shine the light just right for you to see the effect.

kota_greeblie14.png

~ Vonnor

Awesome work Vonnor! I can not wait to see the final product. You have given me great tips and new ideas that I am hoping to put together soon. All the best in the new year...

Dominic

Thanks Dominic. Thanks Your Honor.

In the interest of posting SOME kind of weekend update, here's the short info (It wasn't a very productive three days):

Bought fabric for pants and shirt and a pants pattern.
Pre-washed fabric. Went to iron fabric. Iron doesn't work.
Go buy a new iron and bring it home. It don't work either.
Go back and exchange iron.
Ironed fabric.
Laid out pattern on fabric, but forgot to double check girth (ima heftybutt).
After cutting out fabric, measured hip circumference against pattern pieces.
... :eek
Wasted half the day and 2.75 yds of fabric.
Went back to fabric store. Sold out of same pants fabric.
Reverse-Engineered old pair of Dockers for proper fitting pattern.

I did manage to find the perfect pants fabric (will work for shirt body too) at an out-of-the-way JoAnn Fabric store. It's cotton sateen and a close color match to the references. It was also on sale for 50% off. :D The slight shimmer creates light and dark highlights as the lighting changes. Quite a nice drape and still light as a feather. It has a touch of stretch which is nice for the shirt. After finally completing all of the pants except the waistband (about half hour ago) the fit is perfect. Snug from the widest part of the butt to the waistband, and baggy from there down to the boot tuck.

I also managed to dremel down the edges of the right vambrace halves and add a correction coat of Bondo. I also cut and sanded the front and back upper bandoleer couplers.

kota_vambraces40.png

~ Vonnor

I received another focused solution in the mail today. It was a small piece of corrugated rubber floor mat that hopes to become the side panels for the torso armor.

kota_side_panels.png

tfu2kota89.png

~ Vonnor

That is awesome! I've all ways liked Koda's armour.That is some serious ass kicking there!
can't wait to see it done! What are you going to do for Lightsabers?

For now, I'll wear the TFU Kota saber that DoClo Custom Sabers built for me a few years ago. It was based on the action figure and not screen accurate but for sitting in the bandolier holster it should be OK. If I have time before CVI I'll commission a more accurate saber. I still have to work out the topology of a tsuka-ito that generates the diamond pattern on only one side of the grip.

~ Vonnor

This is what a hobby is all about! Well done, awesome work Koda!:cool

Scott

Thanks Scott.

After staring at the shirt collar edging for a few days, I bought some canary yellow bias tape. But no matter how I held it to the light it just wasn't the dingy gold that the reference images suggested. So I decided to have some strong tea and think about it. While I was thinking, a section of the 55/45 poly/cotton canary yellow bias tape fell right into my tea mug! :eek

Needless to say my tea was ruined, which was OK since using the three tea bags like I did had made it almost too strong to drink. Not only that, but it took me 10 whole minutes to fish the tape out of the mug.

Looking on the bright side though, after those 10 minutes and another 5 in a cup of water with a splash of white vinegar, plus 3-4 cold water rinses, darned if I wasn't left with dingy gold bias tape.

:D

Here's a pix of the tape sitting next to it's pristine sibling on my first ever self-constructed pants!

It was a good week. :cool

kota_pants01.png

~ Vonnor

I know, right? :lol

Here's the pants:

kota_pants06.png

kota_pants04.png

Color's not quite right but it'll fly until I find another cotton stretch sateen that's closer. It was good practice. :)

~ Vonnor

Thanks, your Honor.

I put the final shaping on the right vambrace halves today. The contours came out very nice. Next comes a little surface filling and adding the raised edging. Just wrap heavy paper around the model and trace the edge, then cut out the sintra using that template. I will fill the edge gaps and back-fill the corners with epoxy putty, then Dremel all edges to the final thickness.

kota_vambraces41.png

kota_vambraces44.png

kota_vambraces45.png

kota_vambraces46.png

~ Vonnor

Haha awesome man! I loved Koda's suit in the game, however I hated his nagging :p but looking amazing!

Great job, I appreciate the work going into this. However, you could have saved yourself alot of work and planning if you used the game model as a base for accuracy. I do happen to have the source model and the cinematic version and will be releasing pepakura files on my thread if you're interested.

6656006503_1cd4065030.jpg

...you could have saved yourself a lot of work and planning if you used the game model as a base for accuracy. I do happen to have the source model and the cinematic version and will be releasing pepakura files on my thread...
Wow Fierfek yes, I am very interested in the source model and the cinematic version for references.

The reason I haven't embraced pep' builds is the scaling and form-fitting flexibility that scratch-builds allow. With a clay sculpt I can contour a part to my own 6'6" 220lb body, regardless of the size and shape of the CG model. Things like how much ease distance off the skin to allow for the vambraces or the upper slope of the breastplate can be adjusted independently of the overall height/width scaling of the part. Scratch builds allow for a much more personalized fit, and let the builder decide how far to stretch accuracy in deference to motion range, comfort, and wearability.

~ Bill C.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back