Question from KUHN Global

Kuhn Global

Sr Member
I know this wasn't a popular ship,.. nor popular movie,.. but does anyone know or have reference to the Studio Scale size of the Cygnus from the Disney Movie,.. The Black Hole? :confused

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Aug 26 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]1307445[/snapback]</div>
Kurt, check this if you haven't already. Not sure if it addresses the specific question, but good info nonetheless...

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=black+hole
[/b]
Thanks Rob.

Charles Adams is doing the Cygnus, eh? BIG job.

At 1/16 inch = 1 foot,... a 12 foot model is a BIG BIRD.. Heck,..even the SSD was smaller than that. Well... just a little. LOL.

Good reference...thanks again Rob.

Anyone else doing this or just Charles?

More references still welcomed. Especially pics of the original being built or filmed.

I know we haven't met yet Charles,.. but if you happen to read this,.. did you work out a time and cost estimate (to date) on building one of these? A 12 footer I mean,.. not CG. Is that what the filming miniature was? If not,.. what was it?

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 26 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]1307454[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Aug 26 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]1307445[/snapback]
Kurt, check this if you haven't already. Not sure if it addresses the specific question, but good info nonetheless...

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=black+hole
[/b]
Thanks Rob.

Charles Adams is doing the Cygnus, eh? BIG job.

At 1/16 inch = 1 foot,... a 12 foot model is a BIG BIRD.. Heck,..even the SSD was smaller than that. Well... just a little. LOL.

Good reference...thanks again Rob.

Anyone else doing this or just Charles?

More references still welcomed. Especially pics of the original being built or filmed.

I know we haven't met yet Charles,.. but if you happen to read this,.. did you work out a time and cost estimate (to date) on building one of these? A 12 footer I mean,.. not CG. Is that what the filming miniature was? If not,.. what was it?
[/b][/quote]

Charles runs the Starship Builder site. You should check it out.
I haven't seen him in a couple of months. Last I know he was authoring a book about CG modeling for model making.

Howdy.

As far as I know, I'm the only person to have even attempted to accurately reconstruct the Cygnus. This has been a long-term project. Very little reference is available. Two models were built for the film and both were destroyed. So far I have the proportions worked out and I built a CG mockup to make sure I had all the details right. That is probably 85% finished. My friend showed it to Harrison Ellenshaw and I hope to get to talk with him about the project in the near future.

I have designed a structure for recreating the original in plastic rather than metal. The challenge right now is finding the right material for the girders. The original had 060 girders and 030 stringers and this is not practical to cut from acrylic or styrene (acrylic is too brittle, styrene is too flexible). I designed a practical light box and frame for the whole thing. All this is on hold while I finish up some other projects. You can see the results of my CG mockup here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369

I haven't been on the boards much as I have had my nose to the grindstone finishing a major project. I've been working on a reference book on blueprinting and pattern making for modelers (both CG and physical modelers). This has turned into a really in-depth volume and I am excited about how it has turned out. It's taken me 8 months full time to get this done. As far as I know, there is nothing else like it that has ever been written for this audience. I just finished the last chapter this week. Still some tweaking to do but I hope to have it ready soon. . .

Awesome Charles. That's a very good idea and you're right no one has written a book like that before.

I'll definetely buy a copy when it comes out as I'm wanting to try more CG stuff geared more towards practical model making, cross sections etc.

The Cygnus is sweet, very nice.

<div class='quotetop'>(star-art @ Aug 26 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]1307513[/snapback]</div>
Howdy.

As far as I know, I'm the only person to have even attempted to accurately reconstruct the Cygnus. This has been a long-term project. Very little reference is available. Two models were built for the film and both were destroyed. So far I have the proportions worked out and I built a CG mockup to make sure I had all the details right. That is probably 85% finished. My friend showed it to Harrison Ellenshaw and I hope to get to talk with him about the project in the near future.

I have designed a structure for recreating the original in plastic rather than metal. The challenge right now is finding the right material for the girders. The original had 060 girders and 030 stringers and this is not practical to cut from acrylic or styrene (acrylic is too brittle, styrene is too flexible). I designed a practical light box and frame for the whole thing. All this is on hold while I finish up some other projects. You can see the results of my CG mockup here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369

I haven't been on the boards much as I have had my nose to the grindstone finishing a major project. I've been working on a reference book on blueprinting and pattern making for modelers (both CG and physical modelers). This has turned into a really in-depth volume and I am excited about how it has turned out. It's taken me 8 months full time to get this done. As far as I know, there is nothing else like it that has ever been written for this audience. I just finished the last chapter this week. Still some tweaking to do but I hope to have it ready soon. . .
[/b]
Excellent Charles. Top Notch Work.

Thank you for the expediant reponse. I would love to pick your brain more one day. :p

I will look forward to meeting you AND reading your book in the future.

Be well.

<div class='quotetop'>(star-art @ Aug 26 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1307610[/snapback]</div>
Thanks.. :D
[/b]
Charles,..

Bob mentioned his thoughts to me that I should sign up on your board. Think there's room for a full on geek like me? :p

I have always liked the Cygnus-- it looks like a dark brooding spaceship designed by someone from the 19th century out of wrought iron--a la Jules Verne...

<div class='quotetop'>(Pauleysolo @ Aug 26 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]1307791[/snapback]</div>
I have always liked the Cygnus-- it looks like a dark brooding spaceship designed by someone from the 19th century out of wrought iron--a la Jules Verne...
[/b]
That is a GREAT description.

WOOOOOOOOOOW

Thats the first time I see this ship, and I loooooooove the design .

Really nice model . Does she come from which movie ?

Anyway good luck Charles .

It´s the big ship from "The black hole", a Disney movie from 1979 - probably the attempt to catch the "Star Wars" train. A bit cheesy, but has some really great moments - especially the beautiful introduction of the Cygnus.

The Cygnus has got to be one of the most beautiful and unique designs ever to grace the silver screen. Charles, your work is astounding. I never realized to amount of detail on that model until I started pouring over your renders. I would love to see this ship created as a real world model. I knew two were created for The Black Hole, you can actually spot the differences if you look carefully. I thought one survived filming and was on display in the New York Museum of Modern Art for a while in the early 1980's. It's been destroyed too? :cry I look forward to the book you're writing.
Kurt, I have some cool photos of the Cygnus model from an old issue of Cinefantastique I could scan and e-mail you if you're interested. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Pauleysolo @ Aug 26 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]1307791[/snapback]</div>
[/b]
From what I've read it was based on the Crystal Palace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace
I new the time I spent in architecture school wasn't wasted. :lol

Kuhn building the Cygnus might be your whole SS model budget.
That Ship isn't complex, just insane. Or you will be after you finish it.

Seriously, it would be the Crown of any collection.

I did like how it was photographed in the movie.

Thanks guys. It WILL get built. It's not a matter of "if" but rather "when." As to whether anyone could afford/justify what it would actually cost to commission one at full studio-scale, I have my doubts. . .

The detail is layer upon layer. I will do my best to get the actual studio blueprints so I can be sure my patterns are dead-on-balls accurate to the original miniatures built for the film. BOTH have been destroyed so they are lost forever. But by recreating one of them this great, gothic ship will get preserved for posterity. It is one of the all-time classic SF designs to many, including myself.. :D

I totally agree with you guys, (especially after speaking with Charles)... this project (The Studio Scale Cygnus) would be insanity on a stick and even make Howard Hughs go broke again. LOL. I am sure Charles will beat me to this one. From the look of your CG stuff Charles.. the pattern work looks mostly complete. Sheeeeeeeesh... this is a true beastie. I don't think we will see it in the flesh anytime soon.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back