The Hobbit movie costumes

These are great, Davy! Awesome find. I love the detail on Thorin's bracers. Also, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Dwalin's gloves. Never seen anything quite like that before...

I'm liking them a lot actually! I kind of hope they go in a complete different direction of LOTR as far as style goes. Mostly because whenever a prequel (or sequel sometimes as well) tries to follow up in the originals wake it always kind of disappointing. As if the film is trying to hard to be like the original. Case in point, Pirates 4. I think it will be much better for the Hobbit to have it's own style and story to tell completely separate of LOTR even though they are part of the same storyline.

I think I may eventually make my fiance one of the dwarves now lol. He's 5'6 so it works out nicely.

I think they're all great looking costumes and weapons, however, I do not like the fact that Thorin, Fili, and Kili look more like miniature elves than dwarves. I also don't like how Thorin looks relatively young.
All of that aside, I'm pretty excited for the movie and for what the members of this forum could do to replicate costumes and props!

Hi there. I am new to this forum.
I have joined because I was hoping to find some other people who were hoping to make costumes for the opening of the Hobbit in December.
My daughter has asked me to make her Arwen's chase costume for the premiere and she says that I should make myself something as well. Looks like it is going to have to be a dwarf.
So I am here to see what I can find out and to contribute what I can.

Re: The Hobit movie costumes

I saw the second photo and also thout this had a Warhammer look to it. If any of the costume is produced commercially it would be attractive to the fans of both.

I think Peter Jackson when considering the costumes for 13 main characters, has had to make sure that each was differentiated from the other significantly so that they could each develop their own distinct personality. I think he has done a great job on the characterisations.

I think they're all great looking costumes and weapons, however, I do not like the fact that Thorin, Fili, and Kili look more like miniature elves than dwarves. I also don't like how Thorin looks relatively young.

It has been many years since I read the book, but I seem to recall that Fili and Kili are the youngest of the thirteen dwarves. They are also the nephews of Thorin Oakenshield. Perhaps dwarves get bigger and, dare I say it, uglier facial features, as they get older (maybe "more prominent" is a better way of expressing it). If the three of them resemble each other then JP has done a good job with his character development, and maybe, as they are all a bit upper class (as far as dwarf society is concerned) they should all be a bit more handsome.

Something which is also cool about the way PJ has characterised his dwarves for The Hobbit is that he has made sure that Glóin bears more than just a passing resemblance to his son Gimli. Here is a picture of Gimli (centre) at the Council of Elrond in FOTR.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj6374kvmS1qgutswo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1333675241&Signature=G5e96%2Bsr6ZXACTXADxZcQUZPQJM%3D
Notice the treatment of his beard and compare it to the recent publicity of shot of Glóin.

Last post on this subject for the meantime (sorry as I am new I am trying to get 20 posts as soon as possible).
Those pics of the dwarves are publicity shots and have been retouched a lot in Photoshop. I doubt they will look as Warhammer-ish once they are on the screen. Check out this publicity shot of Gimli from the LOTR. He doesn't look as dissimilar in style from The Hobbit dwarves when he is posing for the camera.
http://www.gimli.tk/albums/gimli/gimli9.jpg

Something which is also cool about the way PJ has characterised his dwarves for The Hobbit is that he has made sure that Glóin bears more than just a passing resemblance to his son Gimli.

Continuity Kudos: Glóin appears to be carrying the 'Walking Ax' that Gimli carries in the LOTR Movies!

Just a new pic of Radagast!
198673_10151085224209821_1162639782_n.jpg

Someone in the costume department either like Uncle Buck or Mother Russia...I don't know what's going on with the flap-hats here.

That hat angers alot of people...

Though apparently he has birds living under there so...that's pretty much win!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back