The Hobbit movie costumes

We're not, it's pointed on the top.

Also, these made my day!!!

Tauriel, the Mirkwood female warrior's action figure:
Tauriel_Toy.jpg

She also comes packaged with Legolas, WHO HAS ARMOR!! *does happy dance*
Legolas_and_Tauriel_Toys.jpg

Hobbit_Toys.jpg

Considering a dwarf costume for con-season next year.. maybe Bofer, since I think I can pull that look off. I'll post pix if I do manage it. I can knit a scarf, but never attempted gloves before. Myself & a friend did Bilbo & Frodo years ago at DragonCon.

So, after a lot of research on the costume, I did decide to go ahead with Bofur's costume. I can't resist that cool hat!! I've bought fabric & boots & am a third of the way into the scarf and have drawn out most all of the costume from the photos I've found online. I don't think it will be done for a month or more, so by that time, I'll have better references. I can't figure out the pattern on the pants. Looks like a large size repeat of the other geometrics on the jacket. The more you study these things, the more complicated you realize they are :D
Anyone else working on dwarf costumes or props?

And there's this photo of the designer in front of the trim pieces - Now if she'd move a little to the right..
Screen-shot-2011-07-09-at-123202-PM.png

Last edited:
Last night i did a trial run in the full Thorin Oakenshield costume at the local GeekFight trivia night game, next week, Dwarf Company will be participating in multiple premiers and block screenings here in the Philippines in partnership with the local WB distributor.

i haven't gotten decent photos since we are focused on building the suits. we will have Thorin, Kili, Fili, Dwalin, Ori, Oin and Gloin along with Bilbo, Gandalf, Legolas, Thranduil and Tauriel.

i cant wait to see the movie on the 11th in HFR and on the 12th in IMAX 3D

the trial run had me in the full costume walking, sitting down and doing jumping jacks (part of geekfight) also laughing and talking.
i wanted to see how long the beard would hold up stuck to my face. i used liquid latex and a small amount of spirit gum, tomorrow i will try using more spirit gum and stick the facial hair on end instead of flat on my face.

this afternoon we also bought more hair for the braids and to make the widow's peak using hair extensions. i need to get a more distinct curl to the hair instead of it all over my face.

That's great Oneal! Post some photos here if you get a chance. I'd love to see.
I've done 'trial runs' with the facial hair for the last 2 days too. Used the tiny Ben Nye kit that came packaged with the remover, and cannot get it to stick correctly. I think I'm going to go back to my favorite Krylon spirit gum. I'm using human hair moustache & beard and will have to add the length to the 'stache. I'm going to attempt lacing the wig hair myself, but might have to get the help of a pro hairstylist. I have a small curling iron to use on the ends.
My hat is almost done.. have to put the top-stitching in, and the rest is coming together quickly. My only hold up is the top vest-fabric. I'm going to look for a blanket to cut up & sew on the bias for that. I've made all of the tooth/claw trim bits out of Apoxy sculpt and am very pleased with the way those came out.
CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!! :D

during the different events we used a variety of methods for the facial hair:
1) Thorin: liquid latex for my chin and cheeks up to the sideburns, part of the mustache had liquid latex but the edges we used spirit gum since the latex was too light for my skin tone - this lasted about 4 hours and started to come off when i talk to much or smile
2) Thorin: spirit gum for everything, hair glued on end then pushed down when it sticks, looks more natural but the hairs we were using were a shiny synthetic black that was perfectly straight. i will try softer hair that curves next time - lasted much longer, is very itchy but stayed on for over 6 hours till i had to rip it off
3) Kili: my wife as kili needed elmers glue (white glue) mixed with water 2:3 ratio. spread over her cheeks and chin, then we dabbed finely cut synthetic hair to give her the 6 o'clock shadow. it lasted about 5 hours with her laughing and smiling

P.S.: it helps that Thorin Oakenshield does not smile in the movie, that way my beard stays put.

our costumes are mostly done, just some minor changes like the slit on the sides of Thorin's furry coat and pleating and slits on Kili's leather coat.

aside from that we are going to work on the weapons.

i'll post the build progress photos in the other thread about thorin

during the different events we used a variety of methods for the facial hair:
1) Thorin: liquid latex for my chin and cheeks up to the sideburns, part of the mustache had liquid latex but the edges we used spirit gum since the latex was too light for my skin tone - this lasted about 4 hours and started to come off when i talk to much or smile
2) Thorin: spirit gum for everything, hair glued on end then pushed down when it sticks, looks more natural but the hairs we were using were a shiny synthetic black that was perfectly straight. i will try softer hair that curves next time - lasted much longer, is very itchy but stayed on for over 6 hours till i had to rip it off
3) Kili: my wife as kili needed elmers glue (white glue) mixed with water 2:3 ratio. spread over her cheeks and chin, then we dabbed finely cut synthetic hair to give her the 6 o'clock shadow. it lasted about 5 hours with her laughing and smiling

P.S.: it helps that Thorin Oakenshield does not smile in the movie, that way my beard stays put.

more pics, more pics, more pics bro:lol..looks great so far(y)thumbsup

After seeing the movie the other night, I have to say that I was blown away by Lord Elrond's costumes. The only others that topped them were Galadriel's and Thorin Oakenshield's. Lord Elrond's armor was MAGNIFICENT!!

Dwarf madness here! Still working on Bofur for our group.
We also have a Gloin & Bifur in the works & hopefully Dwalin too. Maybe I should start a build thread for just dwarves?
Got the "Chronicles" book today & it has some great pics of the concepts to finished designs on the costumes and props. I've seen the film twice now.. ready to go again!

Last edited:
I love the dwarfs the most from the movie the hobbit. I have noticed they all have over sized boots. In the utube vids of making of the hobbit. You can see the actors running around in these boots. If they had to have a size.. maybe size 33.. or 35?
Any ideas of how to make them?

I guess I should have posted the Bilbo I made for a friend! I helped him make Meriadoc for Dragon*con this past year, and he kept getting stopped asking if he was Freeman-Bilbo! So, it had to be done. No great pics of him in it yet, but here's some shots before I shipped it off!

Before distressing:
402999_435863209794425_605048235_n.jpg

603958_435863123127767_1034353784_n.jpg

424829_435863323127747_303124611_n.jpg

I sculpted the acorn buttons and cold cast them. I'm going to start producing alot soon, as I've gotten so many requests about them! The suspenders were made from scratch as well.
198052_435863336461079_622522795_n.jpg

After distressing (placed it right near/after the Trollshaws):
64680_435865233127556_1715582590_n.jpg

484207_435865286460884_1081939548_n.jpg

483623_435865373127542_965146726_n.jpg

20327_435865673127512_367998021_n.jpg

More pics here!:
After distressing: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435865013127578.93433.193671420680273&type=3

Before: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435862716461141.93431.193671420680273&type=3

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back