Augmented Reality and QR codes

Larry Young

Master Member
I was in Subway and scanned the Green Lantern code for some marketing hoo-ha they're doing because I love 1. marketing, 2. Green Lantern, and 3. QR codes. And it turns out that the panel I'm moderating in San Diego has the QR guy for First on it... who is Brian Mullins of daQRi:

Brian Mullins of daqri: The Man Who Would Democratize AR | Law of Social & Emerging Media | Wassom.com

So, rpf; tell me somebody here has some experience in the tech side of this, because I'm just getting into this and I'm old. :lol

QR are codes are pretty neat. It's like a bar code, but can hold MUCH more information. Most QR codes are just URLs or 'anchor' tags (something to tell an application on your phone where to go or what to do). QR codes are also used as reference points (a camera on your computer or phone can track the position of a QR Code and be used to manipulate a 3D object on the screen - for example).

These have been around since the mid-90s but only recently started popping up in Marketing. As I mentioned, most of it is just "Scan here to go to our website!" (URL) or "Scan here to unlock the Knight armor in such-and-such game!" (anchor tag).

A fun QR game would be actually making many QR tags and each one is a piece to the puzzle (maybe even location-based!).

It's super useful in Inventory (since it can store tons of data), but other than that, so far it's just been a gimmick. It's REALLY easy to create your own QR tags if you want to experiment.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back