SS Dornean Gunship Torktarak

almar bouwman

Sr Member
Finally decided to start building this baby although it hasn't been fully indentified yet.
The ID thread can be found here for those of you who haven't followed it.
http://www.therpf.com/f10/rotj-roj-bg-dornean-gunship-kit-ids-help-107787/

This is what you get in the Guillows P-38 kit.

_DSC1463_resize-1.jpg

After cutting

_DSC1472_resize.jpg

I've cut some pieces of styrene and glued them inside the P38 hull, just make it easier to glue the two parts together.

_DSC1473_resize.jpg

_DSC1474_resize.jpg

Here she is all glued up.

_DSC1477_resize.jpg

I'm pouring in some Smooth Cast and kinda rotocasting the inside of the hull hoping this might strenghten up the whole thing.

_DSC1479_resize.jpg

NOTE: after the Smooth Cast had hardened I noticed it was very easy to peel it off the hull. So if you are gonna do this make sure you use some kind of primer so the Smooth Cast (or something else) really sticks to the hull.
But in the end the smooth cast did the job.

Next up: trimming, filling, sanding and filling and sanding and filling.............:wacko

Had to cut the grill to make it fit.

_DSC1480_resize.jpg

_DSC1481_resize.jpg

Added some styrene

_DSC1485_resize.jpg

Had to do some serious cutting to make the Slave I part fit

_DSC1486_resize.jpg

_DSC1489_resize.jpg

The top still needs some extra work but we're getting there

_DSC1487_resize.jpg

_DSC1488_resize.jpg

I actually like this one a lot. I can see the beauty in its ugliness I guess :lol. It's impressive you've identified so much from those small photos.

Been working on the front of the ship a little.

_DSC1492.jpg

_DSC1493.jpg

_DSC1494.jpg

_DSC1491.jpg

Now it looks a bit more like the actual model.

_DSC1495.jpg

_DSC1498.jpg

Today the Heller 1:400 Zerstorer Z31 arrived but it's the wrong kit, too small. But the shape of the part looked alright though.

Really Cool! cant wait to see what this looks like when its done..definately on my need to build list

Thanks to Seven I was able to make this little 'Wall-E' like part.

_DSC1500_resize.jpg
_DSC1502_resize.jpg

I haven't glued on all Flak 36 parts because they are very fragile.
This is what the bottom now looks like.

_DSC1504_resize.jpg

_DSC1505_resize.jpg

Lovely work so far - this ship is so fugly (in a good way) and the way the community here dissected the "reference"? nothing short of ASTOUNDING!

Thanks guys.
Right now I'm waiting for the A & B sprues from the 312T4 kit. There's a guy on the bay that sells the sprues. I'd rather use those so I can sell my entire 312T4 kit (if no other parts were used).

Today I received the Ferrari 312T4 sprues. Now I can attach the 'wings' on the front.

_DSC1509_resize.jpg

I don't know if the Ferrari parts were glued together or not. It's nearly impossible to see in the pictures I have. Nevertheless, I glued them together because I think it looks better, but that's just my opinion.

I've glued them in the center of the 'air intake'.

_DSC1510_resize.jpg

_DSC1513_resize.jpg

_DSC1514_resize.jpg

EDIT:
Here is a picture of the model which shows the CORRECT allignment of the parts. Looks like mine is a bit off. Too late now ;)

sidewings.jpg

Last edited:
I did some work on the ship today. Did some work on the topside.

_DSC1517_resize.jpg

_DSC1518_resize.jpg

I cut this shape out off styrene.
_DSC1522_resize.jpg

Added the greeblies. Now I'm sure about these parts. Not so sure about the rest. Have to figure that out somehow.

_DSC1525_resize.jpg

_DSC1524_resize.jpg

This might give you a better view of the whole thing. Still need some Flak 36 parts for the middle section.
Don't mind the stand, that's just a temp.

_DSC1528_resize.jpg

_DSC1534_resize.jpg

_DSC1535_resize.jpg

Now I still need to figure what goes underneath the Slave I parts.

_DSC1536_resize.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back