Game of Thrones- Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen

Ryliciouss

Hello all, my name is Rylie and I am creating/looking for help suggestions for creating my costume. Here is the picture of the costume I am looking to recreate.
Daenerys_Targaryen.jpg

Here is me:
resizedme.jpg

Hair: my hair will look identical to this as I will be getting blonde extensions to my already blonde hair.

Theres really four pieces of this costume I'm needing help/suggestions with. The shirt, the skirt, the gloves, and the boots.

I'm really novice to all this costume making but i am 100% dedicated to making this as authentic as possible. I'll even be getting the violet contact lenses. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Too bad you're not making her silver wedding dress...I have detailed photos of the real costume from when it was on display at the HBO store in NYC.

I would suggest looking for a woven throw/blanket that you might be able to cut up and use for the top. You might find something like it in a shop that sells free trade crafts from South America or Africa. I doubt you're going to find that sort of thing at your average fabric store.

What are your plans for making the belts and the brooch?

The belts are going to be a little bit more tricky. I have just been looking around online for something similar that I could tarnish if need be. As far as the brooch goes I was thinking I could use a circular pendent, stained as well, with a point through it to hold it together. Are there better place to search for these things?

I have picked up some fabric that might pass for the parts against my skin, just some regular burlap but I'm not satisfied with the texture. It just isn't quite right.

I'll post more pics as I get started but tips you all can provide to help me get this going would be great.

What if you weaved some 1/4" or 3/8" cotton rope and dye it. By looking at the screen shots you got there it looks like it has a pretty heavy weight to it.

I second icys' recommendation to look at shops that carry hand loomed materials. I'd suggest something from Nepal. Barring that, I would look monk's cloth and sack cloth. Burlap is going to itch against your skin. I wouldn't be surprised if the skirt is a heavy weight linen....so it flows better.

Do a google search for mudcloth. I punched it in and already pulled up some nice finds similar to what you have pictured. As far as burlap or itchy fabrics go. Remember that you can line it with something so that the fabric never actually touches your skin.

Looks like you'll be looking at alot of beading, rough linens, and leathers.

Also. On your extensions. It may be easier and less messy to just get a lace front wig. Your hair seems pretty short already, so it would be quite easy to get into a wig cap and cover up.

The belts are going to be a little bit more tricky. I have just been looking around online for something similar that I could tarnish if need be. As far as the brooch goes I was thinking I could use a circular pendent, stained as well, with a point through it to hold it together. Are there better place to search for these things?

You might be able to find a brooch if you search "great kilt brooch". They're a similar style to the one she's wearing.

I'm not too sure about the belts unfortunately.

I was able to find some "geo jute" or "jute netting" or "jute mesh," which is evidentally a gardening supply but the texture is perfect for what I am looking for..
jn.jpg

I have run into them only selling it in HUGE bulk rolls so I'm on a hunt through my local gardening stores to see what they can do.

And WOW at the brooch suggestion! That is exactly what I need! They even have some with little dragon heads. This has been ordered. Thanks you so much for the suggestions. I'll post pix as I progress.

I might just end up braiding some belts and dying them. Also here are some more pics of different screen shots of the back of the skirt (albeit different shirt)
danygotback.jpg

And here is the boot situaiton:
fuzzydanyboots.jpg

I still haven't decided if I want to alter it so that I am not basically wearing pants under an already hot skirt. Maybe just stick to some scrutched cloth over some shoes to tie above or below the knee... Still uncertain.

Thanks for the tips I'll keep posting the progress as the suggestions come in.

I was able to find some "geo jute" or "jute netting" or "jute mesh," which is evidentally a gardening supply but the texture is perfect for what I am looking for..
jn.jpg

I have run into them only selling it in HUGE bulk rolls so I'm on a hunt through my local gardening stores to see what they can do.

And WOW at the brooch suggestion! That is exactly what I need! They even have some with little dragon heads. This has been ordered. Thanks you so much for the suggestions. I'll post pix as I progress.

You're very welcome.

I actually work at a garden center and I know the jute mesh you're talking about. However, I feel that it is too rough for what you need. The fiber her's is made of appears to be loosely woven, but made using a softer fiber than jute. I recommend you continue your search...but that's just me. ;)

I had another thought...raw silks like they used in the Star Wars movies....more expensive, but softer. I'd put money the fabrics used for the actress are soft to the touch.

For her belt...THIS is close, not 100% accurate and probably not available any more, but I'd say good to aid in your search

I found something very helpful for you. If you have an HBO subscription, you can go to hbogo.com and they have 360 degree HD views of various costumes on there. You can also zoom in on them. Your costume is in there and you can see tons of detail on it.

Good to see someone else starting work on a Game of Thrones costume. I am hoping to start work on Jon Snow's costume after DragonCon this year. I am hoping we get some good special features with the disc release later this year to go with the HBOGO materials we have now. I already have learned to hate the filters they use on the show changing the colors on some of the materials from what they actually are.

I found something very helpful for you. If you have an HBO subscription, you can go to hbogo.com and they have 360 degree HD views of various costumes on there. You can also zoom in on them. Your costume is in there and you can see tons of detail on it.

You mean what I showed you while looking at the details on my costume :cool

Good to see progress on this one she is a pretty cool character. Now we just need to get you some dragon eggs Khalessi.

So happy to find this thread! I'm working on this one too (well different scene, same basic outfit), hopefully finishing in time for DragonCon. Good suggestions here on the difficult to find bodice material, now to see what my Googlefu can turn up...

I am also making this costume. I have found wonderful fabric from Joann fabric. If you use upholstery fabric you can find something similar and it's softer than mud cloth or burlap. plus I got almost 2 yards on clearance for 5 bucks. I'm using a kilt pin from ebay for the pin. I fabric glued the material to a bra, cut the straps and sewed on a braided rope for the halter/straps. Support with out showing support...
also used a stitch ripper to frey up the edges
here is mine so far:

Last edited:
Does anyone know what type of fabric the skirt would be made out of?

It looks like leather/suede to me. I ended up going with an upholstery weight faux suede, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't say for sure how well it matches.

After taking a bunch of screen shots from different episodes, it looks like she's wearing matching leather leggings and an underskirt as well as the visible overskirt. The underskirt looks like white/light tan leather (like the folded-over waist band, under her belts), probably with open side seams. The over skirt is split front and back with closed sides. All which makes sense for a culture that lives on horses -- she can comfortably ride in a regular saddle without exposing any unclothed leg.

Wow the resemblance is pretty nutty. If you get this right you're gonna be a doppelganger.

The skirt looks like weathered micro-suede to me.

The jute cloth will have a distinct smell. Growing up on a farm, it's not a bad smell to me, but just be warned that it will have a smell in addition to being itchy and not very washer friendly. It will also break down pretty quickly, so there's that.

I'd go with the raw silk suggestions. Not only would it seemingly be softer and smell nicer, but probably a good bit more durable in the bargain.

Perhaps Madame could be enticed to use something like this?

Raw%20Silk%20_%20Honey%20Rust418.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back