Game of Thrones- Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen

I realize its not the costume being discussed here, but it is one of Daenerys other costumes so I'll post up the pics in case anyone wants some references. There's photos in the link that I took of her screen used wedding dress, as well as Jaime Lannister's costume and Ned Stark's costume.

Game of Thrones Reference - a set on Flickr

Everyone I've talked to who is working on this costume has had trouble finding good fabric for her top. I looked everywhere, searched multiple terms online including several mentioned here, and couldn't find anything that looked hand-woven enough.

So I ended up just making my own fabric from scratch. I've never woven fabric before, but I figured that, along with my lack of tools, would add to the hand-woven appearance. What I did was knit a base in the basic shape of the top on large needles, using a basic garter stitch and a drop stitch pattern (like this) at random intervals. For my first attempt, I used a thick tweed-like yarn, hoping it would knit up faster, but the end result was too puffy and sweater-like, even with the drop-stitch pattern. So I started over with a much finer, sock-weight tweed yarn, using what I'd learned from the first attempt. Once I had finished that and tried it on (then added to one edge where it was a bit too short -- with knitting it's usually easier to add to than to take away), I started weaving different yarns into the base I had knit, just using a really basic under-over-under-over pattern. I'm not quite finished yet, but so far I'm liking the result:

scaled.php

Overall not terribly difficult, if you know basic knitting stitches, just time-consuming. Less than 4 weeks until I debut this costume at DragonCon, so I'm hoping it ends up being worth it. :p

Everyone I've talked to who is working on this costume has had trouble finding good fabric for her top. I looked everywhere, searched multiple terms online including several mentioned here, and couldn't find anything that looked hand-woven enough.

So I ended up just making my own fabric from scratch. I've never woven fabric before, but I figured that, along with my lack of tools, would add to the hand-woven appearance. What I did was knit a base in the basic shape of the top on large needles, using a basic garter stitch and a drop stitch pattern (like this) at random intervals. For my first attempt, I used a thick tweed-like yarn, hoping it would knit up faster, but the end result was too puffy and sweater-like, even with the drop-stitch pattern. So I started over with a much finer, sock-weight tweed yarn, using what I'd learned from the first attempt. Once I had finished that and tried it on (then added to one edge where it was a bit too short -- with knitting it's usually easier to add to than to take away), I started weaving different yarns into the base I had knit, just using a really basic under-over-under-over pattern. I'm not quite finished yet, but so far I'm liking the result:

scaled.php

Overall not terribly difficult, if you know basic knitting stitches, just time-consuming. Less than 4 weeks until I debut this costume at DragonCon, so I'm hoping it ends up being worth it. :p

OMG, that is AMAZING! You ROCK

I definitely agree, you will pull this off nicely.

When i first read the title and saw the reference pictures, I was confused for multiple reasons, first being that I forgot they made this a show and not just a book, and secondly that in the book she wears a painted leather vest. So if you ever want a different look to the same character, go book style IMHO.

I am really curious how it and you look in it when the piece is finished. :thumbsup Very nice and a cool idea to make such costumes. Besides the show is amazing and full with ideas. A lots of stuff there for good props.

I'm not the OP, but I thought I'd mention that I finished my Daenerys costume in time for DragonCon 2011, and just posted a bunch of pics and info to my cosplay.com profile here, if you guys are interested. I did her outfit from season 1 episode 7 of the show, including an edible jello horse heart.

I'm not the OP, but I thought I'd mention that I finished my Daenerys costume in time for DragonCon 2011, and just posted a bunch of pics and info to my cosplay.com profile here, if you guys are interested. I did her outfit from season 1 episode 7 of the show, including an edible jello horse heart.

Nicely done! My husband and I were talking to you about your edible heart at the con. :)

Those were really cool ideas and inspired me to make my own Daenerys Targaryen costume which I used last night at a Halloween Party. I used burlapp for the top and faux suede for the skirt. Had to hand sew parts of the top and had my first experience with a sewing machine...lol. My favorite part though was the shoulder dragon that I was able to find on amazon. Check out the photos on the handcrafts page on my blog, Lol n' Lollies

Last edited:
Those were really cool ideas and inspired me to make my own Daenerys Targaryen costume which I used last night at a Halloween Party. I used burlapp for the top and faux suede for the skirt. Had to hand sew parts of the top and had my first experience with a sewing machine...lol. My favorite part though was the shoulder dragon that I was able to find on amazon. Check out the photos on the handcrafts page on my blog, Lol n' Lollies
LOL, I bought that exact same dragon

So its another year and I'm working on a season 2 costume for Dani but I realized that I never posted the finished pix of last years! So here are a few.

khaleesi.jpg

khaleesi2.jpg

khaleesi3.jpg

This year I'm attempting the Qarth dress.

Following this one. Daenerys is one of my favorite GoT characters. I'm currently working on an unarmored Jaime myself! Can't wait for Valyrian Steel to come out with the Kingsguard armor set next year. =)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back