Reeve's Superman Blue Fabric Project

By gauging interest, do you mean interest in trying to find the closest materials, or do you mean you plan to do a run or something?

I'd like to find existing materials ideally. I know they exist, because I have the "Golden Edition" costume that Sebastian shows above. The fabric is excellent, and all three colors look dead on. If he can tell us where he gets it and how we can order some, I think we should be good.

However, a project run would be cool too, especially if we had enough people to make it cost effective. In my searches, a company or website called "alibaba" will make fabric that looks identical to the screen used stuff, metallic sheen and all, but at a minimum of 500 yards per color. I don't know how much though. I'm assuming anywhere from $5-10 a yard, so it would add up quick.

I'd like to find existing materials ideally. I know they exist, because I have the "Golden Edition" costume that Sebastian shows above. The fabric is excellent, and all three colors look dead on. If he can tell us where he gets it and how we can order some, I think we should be good.

If you look at post 51, he says that he got it in his home country. I think that's Argentina based on ebay. Since you ordered the suit, you may be able to verify based on the address it was shipped from. If it is Argentina, I doubt it'll be a place we can order it from directly online unless we know where they got it from :)

However, a project run would be cool too, especially if we had enough people to make it cost effective. In my searches, a company or website called "alibaba" will make fabric that looks identical to the screen used stuff, metallic sheen and all, but at a minimum of 500 yards per color. I don't know how much though. I'm assuming anywhere from $5-10 a yard, so it would add up quick.

I could see it possibly working if say it were sold in batches of 8 yards. It would require 62 people and they'd have a ton of red and yellow leftovers, but enough to make 2 full suits.. Maybe use the extra yellow to make a Kill Bill / Bruce-Lee Game of Death type of suit :) 62 people is probably a lot though.. if you did it in 5 yrds, it would require 100 people though.

The main question, though is will alibaba produce exactly what we're looking for!

If you look at post 51, he says that he got it in his home country. I think that's Argentina based on ebay. Since you ordered the suit, you may be able to verify based on the address it was shipped from. If it is Argentina, I doubt it'll be a place we can order it from directly online unless we know where they got it from :)

I could see it possibly working if say it were sold in batches of 8 yards. It would require 62 people and they'd have a ton of red and yellow leftovers, but enough to make 2 full suits.. Maybe use the extra yellow to make a Kill Bill / Bruce-Lee Game of Death type of suit :) 62 people is probably a lot though.. if you did it in 5 yrds, it would require 100 people though.

The main question, though is will alibaba produce exactly what we're looking for!

Yeah, the fabric source is in Buenos Aires, Argentina. And no, I searched, none of them have websites. We'd have to get someone to physically walk in and buy it for us.

As for the allibaba thing, I don't know if they can do samples, but yes, we'd have to make sure it's right before ordering that much product. Hopefully we can get ahold of Sebastian.

It says that they have samples available, but you have to create an alibaba account. Not sure if they sell to individuals or how this whole thing works. It would be great if the sample came back as a match! :)

I sent them a message to find out how much per yard, etc, and how to obtain a sample. Did not get a response. I saw that their "response rate" was less than 30 percent, so that doesn't look good. I also sent a message to one of the spandex websites and havent received a reply.

I got a response from the alibaba source. Unfortunately it's a 4-way stretch material, so it's not the right one. It was $2.40 per yard. You can order 400 yards as min if you get more than one color, so you'd prob need to get 1200 total yards @2.40 = $2880.

They offer samples but they need your company name, phone, etc.. I don't what the deal is as far as if they require you to have "company" or not, but since it's not 2-way, I think we need to keep looking.

I'm sure a few of you have seen this website before, but if not:
http://www.capedwonder.com/christopher-reeve-superman-costumes/

This has some closeups of the suit and other info. Getting the real material does not seem possible... so action costumes is the closest but there has to be others that are similarly close.

Lots of good info there...

Also, I found this at a store by my house! Color is almost an exact match for AC's fabric, and has a more metallic sheen to it, more like the original. Too good to be true? Yes. It's too thin, 4-way stretch, and the weave isn't big enough. From 2-3 feet away though, it looks great though. Here it is against my golden edition costume in some crappy lighting with an iPhone cam:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
Wow. That material looks great. Do you happen to know what the name of it is? If not, do you know what it's made of (percentages would help too if listed). While I would still be on the lookout for closer material, I think that material would satisfy me for now.. I know it's thinner than the material you have, but is it still decently thick?

So I saw this material on spandex world, and asked them to send me a closeup of the knit pattern but it wasn't the same.
http://images.spandexworld.com/vii/2012/12/12/DSC_3647_2012-12-12_7.jpg

This is actually a 2 way slinky spandex. It's 80/20 acetate/spandex. Unfortunately I cant see the material in person. They also said that it's really stretchy which is no true of the suit material.

I sent alibaba a picture of the closeup knit but they said they'd need a sample to compare to because they cannot tell from the pic.. With the alibaba route, it would have to be the perfect material in order to order 400 yards :)

I checked the receipt, and it says "slinky spandex". It feels like a 4-way though, and is very stretchy. Maybe too stretchy. They had it in red too, but no yellow. The weave looks like a bunch of ribs, instead of those nice little "v" stitches. Its not anywhere near as thick as the AC stuff either. The color a and shine is an outstanding match though. The search continues...

Wow. That material looks great. Do you happen to know what the name of it is? If not, do you know what it's made of (percentages would help too if listed). While I would still be on the lookout for closer material, I think that material would satisfy me for now.. I know it's thinner than the material you have, but is it still decently thick?

So I saw this material on spandex world, and asked them to send me a closeup of the knit pattern but it wasn't the same.
http://images.spandexworld.com/vii/2012/12/12/DSC_3647_2012-12-12_7.jpg

This is actually a 2 way slinky spandex. It's 80/20 acetate/spandex. Unfortunately I cant see the material in person. They also said that it's really stretchy which is no true of the suit material.

I sent alibaba a picture of the closeup knit but they said they'd need a sample to compare to because they cannot tell from the pic.. With the alibaba route, it would have to be the perfect material in order to order 400 yards :)

Funny that we both found "slinky" spandex at about the same time. Do you happen to know the name of the color of that material? Is it turquoise or something else?

side note: Any idea what the name of the color for the dark superman III is called?

As a long shot, I emailed the folks at "Super.Costumes" as well and asked them if they knew were Action Costumes got their golden edition fabric. Even though they are both in Buenos Aires, they didn't know, and wish they did.

I guess I never paid close attention: the material that Action Costumes uses does not have lycra in it. Here is part of the description:
"The most accurate Heavy Weight 2-way teal blue fabric (Not Lycra) "

This explains why it isn't very stretchy. Maybe it's just some sort of polyester cotton blend?

supgreg, Can you look at the weave on the red and let me know how close this is? (click on it to zoom)

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 135
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
supgreg, Can you look at the weave on the red and let me know how close this is? (click on it to zoom)

That looks really close. It's hard to tell how big the weave is though. The stuff I have only stretches horizontally, not vertically, which is the identifying feature of 2-way stretch. What other colors does it come in?

That looks really close. It's hard to tell how big the weave is though. The stuff I have only stretches horizontally, not vertically, which is the identifying feature of 2-way stretch. What other colors does it come in?

Unfortunately I can't measure this to see how many rows per cm/inch. They have a white which I'm not sure if it can be dyed or not. There is no blue that comes close. I think they have Royal and Navy which are too dark. Now that I know the knit style/pattern is correct/close enough, I'll see if i can get a sample.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back