sealer for MDF?

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been making a bunch of stuff with MDF and using automotive filler primer to get a smooth surface. Am I using the best stuff or is there something better that will get me to this stage faster?

Automotive filler works just fine, but I would recommend first sealing the MDF with Sanding Sealer before putting the auto filler on. The sanding sealer I use is oil-based, not acrylic.

The sanding sealer strengthens the edges of the MDF and stops the telephone-book delaminating that MDF is prone to. You can sand a much sharper edge this way. Then you can use the auto filler to build up low spots, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ Aug 25 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]1306743[/snapback]</div>
I've been making a bunch of stuff with MDF and using automotive filler primer to get a smooth surface. Am I using the best stuff or is there something better that will get me to this stage faster?
[/b]

One word Shellac Two or three brushed on coats with a sand between each and you should have nice candy finish, and it dries in about 10 minutes...

BEyeShellac_Clear.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back