"Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Earth vsthe Flying Saucers"

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
I drew these up in SolidWorks and will probably get them 3D printed at some point.

Gortship.jpg

I wanted one of these for years.
EvsFSsaucer.jpg

The only EvFS kit I have seen have been small, like 2 inches. I would love to see one a bit larger. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have a 3 foot diameter Day the Earth Stood Still saucer that I made a few months back... Was thinking about molding it and offering fiberglass castings to the RPF. I really need to guage interest - will probably do an interest post in the next few days when I get some good pics made...

I would grab a 3 footer of this in a second. Please do it Ewokus! And I'll look forward to seeing how St.Louis Kid finishes his out. A great underappreciated ship. Before we had to get all fancy and greeblie the heck out of everything.

I would grab a 3 footer of this in a second. Please do it Ewokus! And I'll look forward to seeing how St.Louis Kid finishes his out. A great underappreciated ship. Before we had to get all fancy and greeblie the heck out of everything.

Amen, brother!

Stlouiskid - In case you want your render as accurate as can be - the DTESS Saucer does not have a flat surface that the dome sits on. That surface, from the outer edge, inclines (ramps up) slightly and meets & curves into the dome. You can see this in blueprints on the DVD, and I have photos of the 5 foot dia. model that Bob Burns has. I'll be posting pics of my 3' saucer model in a day or so, so you can see what I came up with...

Just going by this picture.
dtesssaucer.jpg

Also strikes me as having a lot of flat surface area.
klaatu.jpg

Studio models are not necessarily going to made the same or to plans during the same production. The original next gen props and various versions of the J2 are perfect examples of that. I don't think anyone is really interested in DTESS saucer anyway.

Last edited:
I have the Mars Attacks saucer done. It's sized for 5 1/4 inch diameter.

I'm going to rework some parts on the EVTFS model and then do an interest thread tonight or tomorrow. It's a model I'd like to do in an 8 inch diameter. I'm trying to decide on the option of the landing column being sold separately. I'd like to do a snazzy base but unfortunately it means passing on the cost.

Somebody already does this one in a kit form with a 9 inch diameter and dioarama set for $100.

Is there much point in doing it in an 8 inch as the saucer itself?

I like the idea, but, Skyhook Models puts out a 6 inch diameter saucer that is very good. They also have a smaller, 3 inch model of the saucer in various scenes from the film. More to think about. But anything related to Ray Harryhausen has my vote.

I was going to make a replica 6" diameter Harryhausen saucer, only use the method Ray's father, Fred used. He constructed the models from wood (and one from aluminium I think) on a lathe, which I have access too. The only thing that I would find a challenge is the under section that rotates, how would that fit together? Any ideas?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back