Shredder TMNT face mask

slimesquare

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So some of you have seen my TMNT 2 Shredder costume, and though the mask was actually made out of metal it wasn't exactly accurate. So I've taken the liberty of trying to sculpt one, and since I've never worked with clay before I was a bit worried but it seems to be coming out ok so far

shreddmask4.jpg

shreddmask3.jpg

shreddmask2.jpg

shreddmask1-1.jpg

hope you guys enjoy.....once this is finished it will be molded and cast so the end result is nice an pretty

Slime

what are you using as a head? Is that spiderman? awesome symmetry by the way, How does the mask connect to the helmet?

from the original TMNT it is.

Original comics? Cause the first movie is not a wicker helmet...im lost on what you're saying is wicker

what are you using as a head? Is that spiderman? awesome symmetry by the way, How does the mask connect to the helmet?

It's an AZspidey spiderman face shell, right now the mask I have bolts to the helmet like in the movie, the only scene where it isn't bolted is at the end of the first movie where he takes it off to show his face.

it looks more like a chain mail than wicker, or even how armour was made properly in the samuri/ninja era with leather and silk rope under chain mail or sheet metal. I just dont think they would have put resin or fiberglass over wicker to make a helmet. Doesn't seem like it would be reasonable for movie or real life. Most likely it was a stamped pattern

Yeah, I can see why someone would think it was wicker in some shots. But up close, it does look like old, weathered chain mail layered over the armor. It would make more sense to make the armor of chain mail rather than wicker too. You can easily sculpt that pattern as it's apparently not a clean pattern, over the helmet shape and the rest of the armor. So far the face mask looks good chief. I'll be watching this topic as I LOVE the first 2 TMNT films.

it looks more like a chain mail than wicker, or even how armour was made properly in the samuri/ninja era with leather and silk rope under chain mail or sheet metal. I just dont think they would have put resin or fiberglass over wicker to make a helmet. Doesn't seem like it would be reasonable for movie or real life. Most likely it was a stamped pattern

actually a part of 13th century do-maru ("on" foot soldier armor) innovation is the use of bamboo, leather and... tortoise shells. And this is from using copper and bronze because of weight.
Oyoroi, which is worn by higher rank and mostly on horsebacks are the only ones who implemeted chain mail in their armor. Chain mail wasn't even used as an armor alone as it's mostly used to hold metal plates together.

any way back on subject

shredder4.jpg

shredder3.jpg

shredder2.jpg

shredder1.jpg

its just about done, theres a few things I need to line up and smooth out, but other than that I think its pretty good for my first time. Hopefully it will look even better once I smooth it out and everything. Gonna order the silicone, and I haven't decided on fiberglass or resin yet. I was thinking resin since its gonna be on my face. Any suggestions?

Slime

alright so I finished the sculpt and it's been molded!!! So i'm putting the fiberglass jacket on it tonight and hope to get a test pull or two out so I can add the vents since they are slightly different from TMNT 1 to TMNT 2....plus if the mask is solid it may work for the cartoon version as well

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back