Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - FINISHED

twinight

Here's the start of my kid's costume for SDCC.
He wanted wolverine and then I convinced him to do a tron/wolverine hybrid with a light up x-men jacket and light up claws. But then he wanted to hold an identity disk too. Then he wanted to be rinzler, but there's too much detail to scale down for a kid and not enough lighting. And the logistics of 2 discs....
But he was set on red. But after getting the diasppointing red EL tape that doesn't even show lit unless it's dark, I finally convinced him how cool Anon was.
Large body panels, Teal lighting. But since I already have the red tape, I'm just going to peel off the color overlay and just use white.

anonlg.jpg

anonback.jpg

I started by wrapping my kid in duct tape. I stared at it for a day and wondered how to lay that first layer of foam. That will determine how he will get in an out and where the fabric will be shown. I resorted to sketching the panels on the mannequin and that gave me a sense of scale. I will then cut out the panels in construction paper to tweak the shape before using it as a stencil for the actual foam piece.

DSC02450.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

Flexibility in this costume is a must for a 4 year old, so I found this 1/8" shelf liner material at home depot that i will use instead of craft foam. Stretchy and tear resistant. I don't know how well hot glue will stick to it yet.

DSC02452.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tron Anon costume for 4 year old - WIP

Will be watching this one :)
Just resined my Anon helemt (my very 1st pepakura attempt) fingers crossed, if works out will post pic's (if not was too embarrassed to show the failure). I love the duct tape template idea, do you then cut the dummy and lay flat as a template for foam panels? I assume you're plastidipping as well?

Last edited:
Re: Tron Anon costume for 4 year old - WIP - helmet finished

I'm keeping the dummy as is and laying the panels on top. I'm not cutting it up because I still need it for sizing. The foam I have has a smooth plastic finish, so I don't need to paint or plastidip at all.

I used the same method to build the sentry costume.
First I cut out the panels onto construction paper and trim it till the proportions are correct. Then I use the paper as a template for the foam.

IMAG0909.jpg

Here's the front panels I cut out so far. I'm not gluing it on yet, because I still need to cut the channels for the EL strips.

IMAG0904.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - WIP

That's some great work, but here's what I really want to know:

How did you get your 4-year-old son to stand still long enough to get duct-taped!? :confused

I told him that I was making his costume with duct tape. Imagine his disappointment when I told him he had to wait a few more weeks.
I cut some panels that overlay the EL tape on the shoulder.
Mocked up to see what it's like lit up. I had to shallow out the angle of the chest to utilize a single 1.5" El strip.

DSC02470.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

Looking good Twinight, could you make me an adult version? :p

Use an old long sleeve T-shirt and pants. Wrap the duct tape on top. I used an entire roll. Then use some blunt scissors (emt shears) and cut slits to get him out. Then add more duct tape to close off the cut areas. Stuff it with some old clothing and you have a mennequin.

Made a little progress tonight by starting to glue the panels together with hot glue. Still need to hit up Gymboree for some tight fitting black undershirt and pants.

IMG_0004-4.jpg

Time to get some sleep. Only 5 hours a night is wearing me down.

SDCC coming fast! Oh what a joy to have a dad that will take you there...and in costume.

i'm also making an Anon for myself, i'll look here for sure, for lighting troubleshooting. My gf is in Hong kong soon, and hopefully can pick up some battery packs for me :)

wowo? or powo? What did you get?

It's POWO, not by choice. It was red, but since it was so dim, I peeled off the overlay. Its probably for the best since it's brighter than WOWO and it'll be on all the time anyway. I'm just doing the main lighting and forgoing the 2nd set of stripes on the chest and the 2 slits at the collar. No lighting on the hands/gloves either.

I can hide the 3 inverters in the disc hub, but I still don't know what to do about the battery pack. It's 4.5" long and 3" wide. I may end up hiding it inside the costume on his back if I can't figure out another way.
Or I may try to assemble 2 stick sets that takes the place of the 2 batons on the thighs. 4 AA's on each side. I need enough juice to last a full day at SDCC.

im curious, what are the dimensions of that POWO strip that you have. Also, glowhut? Luminous film, or LightTape?

im curious, what are the dimensions of that POWO strip that you have. Also, glowhut? Luminous film, or LightTape?

It's the 12"x1.5" strip from glow hut. No visible scribe line, but it's not easy to splice multiple segments together because the conductor dividing line is on the edge of one side, leaving little room for staples.

EDIT: My son's 36" tall and about 30lbs. Essentially 1/2 scale.

Last edited:

ah ic, yea i got my product from glow hut as well, really hard to get that stuff to stay in contact for multiple segments. I'm curious how tall is your son, weight. These 1.5 inch strips look massive on the pics lol

Looks awesome! I've not ever been interested in building a tron suit myself, but you guys that construct them impress the heck out of me. The light-tape is just so darn cool. :):thumbsup

/subscribed

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back