HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

Re: HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey)

Update: modified final [HAL | 9000] labels -> new downloads! (see first post, Point 8.)

A.P. this is beautiful work!
Will you have a version with a rabbet cut out of the edge of the milled aluminum trims?

Best regards,

XrayDeltaOne

Last edited:

Great work. This is the kind of thing you want to see before a run.

Especially the eye, it's all about the eye.

This is a really inspiring build; it's going to be beautiful when finished!

modified final [HAL | 9000] labels
It's looking very good, but doesn't it seem a little odd that the entire panel seems to be based on imperial units except for the label (and of course the lens)?

it's all about the eye.
I thought it was all about the speaker grill. I've never seen anyone get that right yet.

---------------

Last edited:

It's looking very good, but doesn't it seem a little odd that the entire panel seems to be based on imperial units except for the label (and of course the lens)?

My decision to refer to this "auction/prototype panel" is based upon Gkvfx research (see quote) and on the fact that the panel was marked as authentic (how else could you explain a bid around £17,500/$27,615) for it.
-> see auction

On the other hand that label is pretty close to the label in the screenshot, when you compare it, even after scaling it up ...it just fit perfectly! (I checked it by overlaying the screenshot and the prototype label-> size and position match 1:1)
...and I don’t have anything better to rely on until someone comes up with a better quality screenshot.

I did some checking on my end and can offer up some tidbits -

They only had a couple of the Nikkor lenses at their disposal. There is one scene where the camera pans around the room and, in the same shot, you can see two HAL interfaces. Apart from that, they just moved a lens from set to set.

All of the HAL interfaces were the same size. Different ratios and layouts were experimented with, but eventually they settled on the long slender layout seen in the Pod Bay and Centrifuge set.

The short/stubby HAL interface that was discussed here, though made for the film, was not ultimately used. It was a prototype of sorts, but the proportions changed down the road. Story goes it was discovered in a junk shop (or would that be 'shoppe') in London along with the Brain Room key (which is screen used) after filming. It followed the same construction techniques, has an original decal, but is not the actual (final) size. Also, the screen is probably not original.

I suspect that since there were multiple interfaces and only a couple of lenses that the interfaces had some sort of mounting ring that was a copy of the mounting ring from a Nikon camera body for the lens to securely mount to. The short/stubby interface posted here doesn't seem to have anything more than a beveled ring.

The HAL 9000 decal is a decal. Not some sort of plate that was affixed. White outlines on blue/black. (Though I have to admit I wouldn't mind an aluminum plate with the lines in the bare aluminum.

13" - 15" high with corresponding proportional width "sounds about right".

So, with that being said I've always thought that the plan of attack should be to find a decent lens that is the approximate shape and size and build the interface around that - keeping the proportions the same as what we see on screen. That way, it will "look the part", even if it isn't made of OEM parts (so to speak). I will call around some camera guys I know and see if I can get 15minutes alone with a real Nikkor lens.......

Like I said, I would be up for getting a bunch of those little HAL 9000 labels made. Surely we could do some sort of printing on a stamped metal plaque?

Gene

Very cool, I would to get my hands on your solidworks files so I can convert them to inches. Great work.

I hope you do not mind my using your files listed here and butchering them a bit. I have a rack mounted case I want to give the HAL9000 facelift before I install my CNC controller inside it. the only two things I want now to go with it would be a way to have my computer play "I'm afraid I can't do that" when the mill hits one of the limit switches and a dozen or so of those IT patches so I can be wearing one every time I go in to work on my mill :D (adding a pic of my mock up of the plans)

another difference is that my lens is smaller than the specs on the real one :cry but it was a free find so I will suffer along with it until I have the disposable cash of a lottery winner or something close to it :D

BIG BIG Update 20.07.2011 See first post !

P.S.:
I found this:

from an IBM computer 1964
Logo1.jpg

HW-2a.jpg

Was Stanley inspired by these logos ~

Last edited:

Great stuff. Love the speaker grille update! I think you nailed it. I made one once using a drilled circuit board that "almost" matched. :)

I would say that Kubrick's design team were definitely inspired by the look of that mid 60s era of computer gear. The aluminum framed, sectioned panels and even the layout and colors of the logo tags. I imagine they were the kind of labels that were screen printed onto rolled/extruded metal (sheet steel?) with adhesive backing?

This is an amazing piece of detective work and some damn fine modelling as well !

Yes, Kubrick's design team were very much inspired by what was around them, in part to give it that feel of authenticity. I'm sure everyone is aware, but it is worth repeating that the computer is intended to be an IBM. I guess licensing was an issue (and product placement was many years away) so if you shift the letters back one position, I becomes H, B becomes A and M becomes L, or HAL. The 2030 nameplate shown above really "seals the deal" in matching the look of the real thing.

Regarding the face being woodgrain I can't doubt you there. I don't have the original (nor the bank account to buy it), but if it is indeed wood I would expect that the intent was to simulate a brushed Aluminium plate. You might get a similar effect by using the backside of a piece of Arborite.

Nothing to take away the best replica of HAL I have ever seen !

Hmm sounds convincing, SSR.
To be on the save side I put point "9)The Panel" under reserve!

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that it really could be brushed, black anodised aluminum instead of wood.

Besides the auction site didn't mention any wooden parts.

And I can see differences between my surface and the one from the prototype.
Mine has little striae on it and the prototype surface has a smooth surface.

Here some references:

AluminumTintAnodicBlack.gif

501953.jpg

8318078-geb-rstetes-metall-textur-aus-schwarz-aluminium.jpg

Will do more investigation soon~

Edit: Did they have the technology to anodise aluminum way back in the 60's ?

Last edited:

Brushed Aluminum was all the rage for electronics in the 70s; likely the 60s as well. Not sure whether it was anodized.

As for the process, Wiki (take it for what it's worth) has this to say:

Oxalic acid anodizing was first patented in Japan in 1923 and later widely used in Germany, particularly for architectural applications. Anodized aluminium extrusion was a popular architectural material in the 1960s and 1970s, but has since been displaced by cheaper plastics and powdercoating.

Im really impressed! I love the detail for the speaker grill, not sure how but...Will you do a run of these?

if it were worth doing a large enough run of those grills, I know I can make them from actual sheet metal. though it would be a bit before I could get to the hole part of the task as I will need to set up my mill *cnc* how much is the 3D printed stuff costing if ran on a sintering system that is either doped with aluminum or actual metal? mind you if I did it then they would be strips about an inch or so wider than the grill is and just a continuous strip about 2 foot long to cut them from then so... is there anything else that would use this material that maybe just the hole placement would be changed?

also (due to I JUST disassembled it) I just pulled a fish eye from a dead LCD rear projection tv. two things off on it. lens is 3.19 inches and the center of the dome, of the large lens of the assembly, is pushed in. like a blood cell. GAH so close. this might make it possible though for us to find lenses that are already made and being tossed on top of it, for those interested. *none of the other fish eyes I pulled from these rear projection LCDs has this indented dome so really there is hope*

i'll add a pic in a bit if anyone is really interested.

Really nice work on this thread. Thank you for sharing.

-Rylo

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back