HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

Re: HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey)

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes you are right the SolidWorks file should supersede the PDF drawing.
I didn't have time to make a new one so I thought it would be easier when everyone could take the dimensions by himself from the 3D model with the ruler-tool.
The old drawing is based on incomplete blueprints I found on the internet, where I added the missing dimensions with the scaling method (as I did on the panel). The dimension have been close to the original, but not 100% as I found out when I had the original lens in hands, to compare.

Here a shortcut:
DOWNLOAD (Nikkor Lens e-Drawing)

...please could someone give me a feedback, if this file works at all?
Can you open it and turn the model around?
Is the user interface in German or English?

As I said before you don't need any software, neither have you to install anything.
Just double click the file .easm file
(maybe you will be asked to do some settings)

Anyway, I will see if I can come up with a new drawing~

Last edited:

Hi AP,

Thanks for the reply.

The eDrawing does not work for me. I used both the 2010 and 2011 version of eDrawing that comes with SolidWorks. I tried it on 2 computers. On my home computer it just crashes the eDrawing application. Says incompatible. I have 2010 loaded there. At least I see a preview there.

On my work computer I can open the application, and the file, but I see nothing. Not even a preview. I checked the properties and Hidden was checked. So I unchecked it and made it read only. Still I don't see anything. And I used eDrawing 2011 at work.

Not sure what the problem is. Your German version is compatible with the American version? I doubt that is a problem. Maybe you can save out a step file.

Ok let’s put the eDrawing on side and enjoy the easy Adobe Acrobat 3D PDF file.
This time you really only need the Acrobat Reader (ver. 8+) to open the .PDF
There is also a measure-tool~

DOWNLOAD HAL Lens 3D PDF

3D_PDF_Measure_Tool.jpg

Last edited:

Hi AP,

Thanks for loading the 3D PDF. I've made one before to test out the capability from SolidWorks. but I never knew you can measure from it. I hope it's accurate.

Unfortunately, the company i am working with blocks your link to the PDF, so I will have to wait to this evening to get your PDF and try it!

I will post here when I do and let you know if it works!

Thanks!

Hi AP,

The 3D PDF file worked! I was able to load it and rotate it and measure. Though the measure tool doesn't work as well as the one in SolidWorks. But at least it works.

It will take a while to study the file and learn how to use the measure tool to get the measurements I want. For example the tool to measure the diameter of the lens won't give me a diameter, only a radius. But I'll figure it out!

Also I noticed that your model doesn't have the threads on the inside of that outer ring. But you did include it as a solid rectangular section that you revolved.

There's going to be a lot to measure!

Thanks!

This build is too awesome. We really need to get a good lens kit going since these lenses are really expensive and hard to come by.

It sure is awesome!

I was studying the PDF and it's just amazing the effort you went into to recreate the lens. Very well done! And thanks again for sharing.

Nelson

yeah the way I am working on solving this is finding a similar lens to be taken from something found that normally would be thrown away. you can see some of the lenses I had here: Borg steam factory so far I have found one good one that only has two issues, one is it is a mm to small and the other is the front shaping. but everything else is totally inline and I think I may have a way to create the red center as a light over a camera so you can still see what the camera is seeing with out the red light interfering with it, at all.

still can not get over the 3D work on the PDFs now. I just got moved so hopefully soon I will be able to set up the tools and begin work on things.

If any one of you guys finally produce a lens kit, I want to be first in line at the junk yard! I am most definetly interested! ;-)

well it is an approximately 80mm fish-eye lens and as I mentioned else where, you can find them in rear projection big screen TVs of the DLP variety. that is where I got all the ones on my site. (just look in the products page for optics at the bottom of the list)

Hey Guys,

first of all, GREAT WORK in finding this Details much Details on HAL.

I always wanted to have a HAL9000 for my own :)

I read the Thread, looked at the Drawings and started my Catia to create my own Hal 3d Model. Yet after finishing the Base Plate, i saved the File as an stl and uploaded it to shapeways. They can build the Plate for about 80 $.
The "Baseplate" is the Complete Plate, champfered, and with the Holes for the Speaker beneath.

After this, it needs the Black Paintings, silver surroundings, the HAL Logo and of cource the Lens(which is the Tricky Part ...)

Is anyone building Hal900 at the moment ?

Greetings from Germany

Mike

In the last few month I've finaly finished my HAL Panel
(See first post: some updates in the "MY HAL 9000 PANEL" section)

My HAL 9000: Done!
... and FOR SALE :)
See my Junkyard thread.

Have been busy the last few month, so there is more to come~
... stay tuned ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beautiful Work!! :thumbsup

Love the wood idea, it gives off the brushed look beautifully...and naturally! ;)

-Carson

I'm happy to inform you that your HAL 9000 panel has been sold to another proud member of the RPF and will have a prominent place in a very cool collection. ;-)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back