HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

Re: HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey)

... and to top it all off, you use Windows Speech Recognition Macros to control your PC with voice comands.

It will be like:

-> "open a new folder and name it CON, HAL"
<- "I'm sorry, AP. I'm afraid I can't do that."

... and be precautious when you try to shut him down!

:D

then we would need to have the sample "my god! it's full of stars!" play everytime the screen saver loads up and then make sure the screensaver is set to starfield. XD

Sorry, guys! The quality of the soundbytes I found on the net are is horrible, so I'll see if I can get a hold of the re-mastered DVD. It should be possible. If not, however, there are tons of very good voice actors out there. ;-)

I have had some decent luck with clean up using soundforge's parametric EQ. since this is copy-written material I can not in good conscience upload it anywhere on the net, but I can zip it and send it in private emails if anyone wants to see if the work is usable to them, kinda get some feedback and then make a package that people who are getting a HAL made by anyone here can get for free.

I knew it was not hal but I was not sure which of the two movies it was from. so it is from 2010?

"Oh my God - it's full of stars!" is Bowman's line when he reaches the monolith in 2001. I believe it´s repeated by HAL in 2010 as a recording of Bowman's last transmission.

ah ok that makes sense, I just watched 2010 and it was in the beginning. as if it had been in the 2001 movie.

I just watched 2010 and it was in the beginning. as if it had been in the 2001 movie.
As if it had been, but in fact it was not.

The last words Bowman spoke in 2001 were to HAL, before he knew of the existence of a monolith.

---------------

yeah I just watched 2001 again and the end is nothing more than a serious acid trip. instead of coming outright and saying what is going on stanley just hints around at it. Though to be fair it was made back when people actually read books ... made with paper. ;)

Here is the first HAL audio file that I did all the way back in '06 before that build was killed.

so is it ok for me to add an attachment of a clip about that long here of the clean up I did?

also my condolences on the death of your build. hopefully if you still have an interest in the prop this thread can revive it?

so is it ok for me to add an attachment of a clip about that long here of the clean up I did?

Yes.

also my condolences on the death of your build. hopefully if you still have an interest in the prop this thread can revive it?

Wasn't my build, I was just working on supplying the audio for it. Here are the HAL dialog & phrases lists that I put together for that run.

Last edited:

cool I'm adding an attachment of my clean up of a clip.

also I am looking around but finding it difficult to find a screen capture of what things looked like from HAL's point of view, and for some reason I missed it when last I watched it.

one last thing I am seeking is a good screen capture of the chess game that they play, I have a couple Touch screens and would like to use one to add a small section of the console under the eye I am building. so anyone have a shot of that game that I could either compare existing chess games or possibly make a skin for an existing version? attached is a pic of the chess game I am proposing to build, as well as a ZIP file of both the background noise I am thinking should be able to be used, and the one speaking file I guess is most popular as I made it with out knowing anyone else had already made versions. it is not complete though yet as there is still a group of frequencies I need to remove to get it done, but it could be used in the mean time and replaced once the part has been cleaned up more.

i had found a resin cast of this way back, that I was gonna buy and use in a Case mod, but decided against it eventually. Yours looks way better than that cast did :) Kudos!

Attachments

• HAL_Chess_Game.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 434
  • HAL_Chess_00.jpg
    HAL_Chess_00.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Hi AP 333-

This is an excellent effort you put into the research and a great post! I just discovered it yesterday.

I've been looking for info on the lens for a few years and had no idea where to start. From what I can see, you have hit the bulls eye with your work here!

You've made available a file called "HAL_Lens draw_old.pdf" Its a very well done drawing! It looks very complete. Why is it old? Does your SolidWorks file supercede the PDF drawing? Since I was going to recreate the Nikkor lens in SolidWorks, I was hoping to use the PDF drawing for the dimensions. So I hope it's your most recent accurate, as far as you know, drawing!

I really appreciate your willingness to share so much. I can appreciate the effort as I am as into accuracy and completeness!

I look forward to reading your reply.

Nelson

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back