Thank you Kurtyboy. (Blade Runner)

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
For cleaning up that picture of Rachael. And you didn't even ask for anything in return...but you will get a kit soon. Thank you for your help.

My Vid-Phon cell phone.

I'd like to think that if they did a little more research before the film they would have realized that cell phones were on the way and going to be a big part of everyday life. If someone were foolish enough to do a remake they would include cell phones. I also designed to look like something made by a prop maker in the early '80's with a retro future look and not look like it was made by a 2011 prop maker. Anyway...

I'm a bit disappointed in the eggshell finish I'm getting from Krylon and Valspar clear coats(if someone knows something better please let me know) but still somewhat pleased with it. Drawn in SolidWorks and sent to Shapeways. Some parts are laser engraved.

The YouTubes
YouTube - ‪Blade Runner Vid-Phone cell phone‬‏
YouTube - ‪Blade Runner Vid-Phone cell phone‬‏

014.jpg

Removable faux CC Battery(what they call the "play feature" in the toy industry).
015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Wait for it....

I'm tempted to slip a real phone inside one of those..... Or did you do it already? =D
Absolutely lovely.

_A

Definitely captured that 1980's "High Tech" feel. Well done.

I think they may have avoided cell phones in the movie for a couple reasons. One they wanted to avoid the Star Trek type Science Fiction look of them, and go with something that still had a retro feel to it. Also I think in reality if the atmosphere is that messed up, and could have radiation in it, satellite transmissions would be very hard to send and receive well. Who's to say they couldn't connect a ground based system with the cell towers though. Now instead, they have a cameras all over the place and inside peoples houses. I am sure there was an implication of surveillance that just wasn't explored in the film.

Andy

Last edited:
VERY nice!
Re: paint......you may be spraying a bit too far away. If you move a bit closer and try to do what is called a wet layer, then it'll look really glossy.( avoiding paint runs is all part of the fun!) Combine this with a high solids paint polish and it'll gleam!

Rich

Thank you everyone. Kit info is in the junkyard.

I used the first EL kit shown here to backlight the screen.
http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html

Re: paint......you may be spraying a bit too far away. If you move a bit closer and try to do what is called a wet layer, then it'll look really glossy.( avoiding paint runs is all part of the fun!) Combine this with a high solids paint polish and it'll gleam!
I tried that as well. I've used Krylon for over 15 years and had no problem. I have been told they have reformulated because of new laws. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back