Shapeways and "recasting"

Megatron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Am seeing a lot of Shapeways made items on here now and they sure look like recast of items other members had made with there hands and hard work.

I not knocking all the computer work that goes into drawing of the items but to imply you cast and made the item in the material is really starting to make me think others should be aware of these items.

Shapeways has its place in parts and prototyping as its intend for.

Well it would be simple enough I would think if the person laser scanned the RPF member item and modified it for Shapeways. But for curosity sake what are the items?

No way making final parts is cost effective with them.

Heck 2"x3"x1/"4 Star Trek Data Card is $36.

Good for masters and prototype, but no way can it be good for any "production".

Let's see what you're talking about.

I think he is referring to the current builders of GL rings. Now I know that Zenix and Bimmer all did their own work on their own models. If you line them up you see they are different in quite a lot of ways, and as for both doing the Sinestro ring, they are both working off the SAME three images from Constructing Green Lantern. Now before we hoist another member over the coals who also makes Movie GL rings, he and Bimmer have teamed up, and are sharing resources (Bimmer just hasn't been given alot of credit for his work with this individual.)

I think i'm a little confused. IF the GL rings is what the OP is talking about does that mean i discretely being accused of recasting zenix's movie GL ring?

If so, zenix has never come forward or accused me of such and i have various stages saved of my 3d model to prove otherwise.

If thats not what megatron was referring to, then my bad. Just a little confused. I don't think i've seen TOO many shapeways products that have been very popular on here but i could be missing something.

It is either that or Megatron doesn't like the idea of someone else paying to have their digital creation made into real life. If that is the case is it any different than CNC? One still has to model it in a computer and have it routered out on a machine. The only thing is Shapeways is making their printers available to the public at large for a small price, heck I know guys here have asked others to make a mold of their original work and this is not considered recasting.

I think he is referring to the current builders of GL rings. Now I know that Zenix and Bimmer all did their own work on their own models. If you line them up you see they are different in quite a lot of ways, and as for both doing the Sinestro ring, they are both working off the SAME three images from Constructing Green Lantern. Now before we hoist another member over the coals who also makes Movie GL rings, he and Bimmer have teamed up, and are sharing resources (Bimmer just hasn't been given alot of credit for his work with this individual.)

nope not the GL stuff

It is either that or Megatron doesn't like the idea of someone else paying to have their digital creation made into real life. If that is the case is it any different than CNC? One still has to model it in a computer and have it routered out on a machine. The only thing is Shapeways is making their printers available to the public at large for a small price, heck I know guys here have asked others to make a mold of their original work and this is not considered recasting.

I design my stuff in software also, but I also make them myself. I Have made molds for others but at there request and for them of something they sent me. That's not a recast cause the owner asked for the mold. CNC something takes lots of skill its not that easy. Ordering off a website pfft and having some company make it..

When I do things for the forum I make tales in the items just for this forum and now I see them being copied into Shapeways copies.

Another concern is that now members are "fishing" sales via pm for items that are not available but are in the development stage or fine tuning. What they are offering are Shapeways "copies" and I mean inferior detailed copies of the other prop with a sales tactic of why wait.

Am not here for profit..am here for the reason we make props and prop replicas, the creation and discovery, the physical connection that the prop gives us to the movie or show.

Shapeways has an interesting feature where you can sell a digital copy of the model or make the digital copy free for others to download

So do you think items sold via Shapeways should be tag that they are made by Shapeways? I can spot a printed item but some don't know the difference-I don't know it just disconcerting to me that the members getting the items our being mislead of the origin of the prop.

Last edited:
If you have a specific example of when one of your tells showed up in somebody's print you should say exactly what it is here so the mods can have a look. Otherwise it just seems like whining without a goal.

It's got to be the TARDIS key, but I'm not sure if I could spot a tell or not. In fact, the shapeways key is missing elemnts of the Megatron prototype.

the back of my key (the RPF version) has the constellation on it as was agreed upon by fellow RPFs long ago on the first run. No one has come out with any ideal of what is on the back of the real prop key yet. So when we did the run people said put the constellation on the back.

Even a real DR. Who has used one of the members key I made and could not recall what was on the back of the real prop.

I have seen the RPF version recast many times selling on ebay but of course in true recaster fashion with crappy detail degradation.

Last edited:
the back of my key (the RPF version) has the constellation on it as was agreed upon by fellow RPFs long ago on the first run. No one has come out with any ideal of what is on the back of the real prop key yet. So when we did the run people said put the constellation on the back.

Even a real DR. Who has used one of the members key I made and could not recall what was on the back of the real prop.

This certainly opens up a new chapter in the realm of recasting. I took a look at the key in question and the resemblances are nearly identical. Especially with your tell in place that you and only you put there that isn't on the actual prop. Your key was obviously of primary reference to the model.

I'm certainly interested in how this unravels. 3D Modeling and printing is here to stay, so seeing how this precedence pans out will certainly be interesting!

"Ask not what your forum can do for you; but what can you do for your forum!"
Nice signature

This certainly opens up a new chapter in the realm of recasting. I took a look at the key in question and the resemblances are nearly identical. Especially with your tell in place that you and only you put there that isn't on the actual prop. Your key was obviously of primary reference to the model.

some one sees why am bring this up finally..in a way it is like what happens to paper props.. but now its objects because of the 3d printer.

Sorry, but if you are going to accuse then do it.. dont speak in riddles your stirring a bee hire. or at least bring the mod's in and have them work it out. Dont you think thats the proper way?

I seem to recall this same type of topic showing up when Pepakura hit. To me using shapeways is legit because I have to actually make the model first, then they print it and thats it. No different from me sculpting something physical and paying someone to mold it.

As for Shapeways offering to let you download 3d models that is no different from Google 3d Warehouse. Ask before use is what it comes down to.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back