Shapeways and "recasting"

:rolleyes A couple things;

1. I was addressing Straker in a specific attempt to clarify a point of mine that he misunderstood...not you. Why are you "up in my grill?"
  2. With that info, you should be inspired to read my original post in which I clearly stated that the Megatron pics were fully removed from my machine (I have also listed 2 valid reasons for this since, one being morality), that I do not condone recasting, and that my comment was intended to be vague as the issue you're married to was already resolved. (ie Zenith's Shapeways Key.) I have done, and will do no recasting. Period.
  3. We clearly DO attempt to police the entire world. How many "Ebay Recaster Alert" threads do we see here? You can't be ignorant enough to think every one of those is about an RPF member.
  4. Despite your protestations, no, the normal folk I speak of DON'T know the difference, and the effort to find out different involves FAR more time than they are willing to waste.
  5. You are too immersed in your anti-recast rhetoric to have an objective opinion on the reality of the subject.
Now, you should know that I don't come here to fight. I have my own forum if I wish to waste bandwidth on bickering. I was simply putting forth what I feel is a valid concern in regards to the issue at hand. OUR props will be copied by normal people more and more because we provide lots of clear pictures of our work while the movies and TV shows don't. 3D modeling is becoming more common place, and 3D printers are getting better while the service is getting cheaper. This should be the major concern IMHO, not what our fellow hobbyists are openly doing right here. If member "X" crosses the line, and doesn't back down when member "Y" calls him on it, Art and the Fellas handle it, no? Sounds like problem handled to me. But everything we do is right out there, and more easily accessible to the average joe than the real thing. This is where I feel we need to be truly concerned about the advent of 3d printing companies.

If you still feel that my point is irrelevant, then so be it, but I am done arguing with you about what you "know".

Ah, so you have now gone to "quoting" me by making up things I never said and attempting to make it look like I did.

1. I didn't realize I was "up in your grill" I thought we were having a discussion, you brought up points to which I brought up counters. I was also just asking some real questions to which I would like some understanding, but each time you keep ramping it up to the point of putting up false quotes and name calling. But now I know to refrain because you can so easily be offended.

2. I read that you removed them from your computer, but nowhere did you state that you didn't use them.

3. Alerting the RPF membership in no way amounts to policing the world. It's alerting the RPF. Those alerts rarely have anything to do with an RPF member being the recaster, they are usually to point out a member being recast. But that's only my ignorant take.

4. Again, you like to talk about the interwebz in general while I have been talking RPF specific. I am fully aware of how "normal" people operate, I am also aware it's not the RPF standard.

5. If I am engaging in "Anti-recast rhetoric" then is it fair to say some of your posts border on "recast-apologist rhetoric"? (if you want, I can go point by point)

Last edited:
Ah, so you have now gone to "quoting" me by making up things I never said and attempting to make it look like I did.

Actually, the quote was intended as a "Is this what you really mean, sir?", because that's the impression I'm getting.

1. I didn't realize I was "up in your grill" I thought we were having a discussion, you brought up points to which I brought up counters. I was also just asking some real questions to which I would like some understanding, but each time you keep ramping it up to the point of putting up false quotes and name calling. But now I know to refrain because you can so easily be offended.

No, discussions involve the exchange of ideas. As you weren't actually addressing what I was talking about, it cannot have been a discussion. I failed to notice these 'real questions' that pertained to my point (which I'm NOT restating, thank you.), and am happy to address them if you'd be so kind as to pander to my negligence and point them out.

Please show me where exactly I engaged in this name calling? The false quote I've explain, though I feel that it's intended message was more than obvious.

And truly, if my posts suggest to you that I am or was in any way offended, let me assure you that I am not. I am however prone to impatience when spurred into explaining a simple comment time and again, this may have been what you were sensing, and for that, I apologize.
2. I read that you removed them from your computer, but nowhere did you state that you didn't use them.

Well, as I clearly have not yet produced a 7-key in any form, what the hell could I have used them for?

3. Alerting the RPF membership in no way amounts to policing the world. It's alerting the RPF. Those alerts rarely have anything to do with an RPF member being the recaster, they are usually to point out a member being recast. But that's only my ignorant take.

Hardly an "ignorant take" on it, in fact, you are making my point with your take. If we care about non-members selling recasts of members work on ebay why in the name of all logic would we NOT care about the same happening on Shapeways?

(If you are now saying that we should, then you actually agree with my entire point, as that was it.)

4. Again, you like to talk about the interwebz in general while I have been talking RPF specific.

See above response.

5. If I am engaging in "Anti-recast rhetoric" then is it fair to say some of your posts border on "recast-apologist rhetoric"? (if you want, I can go point by point)

Believe what you will, but my posts were intended to illuminate the reality of the situation at hand. ie. Regular people a) Like movie toys too b) Have the sort of skills that enable the recreation of these things via 3D printing c) Find OUR pictures more easily, and they are more useful to them d) Have never even HEARD the term recaster, nor are they concerned about it.

I know, because a year ago, I was "normal" too. I found this place only because I took the next step.

We're on the same side dude. I think maybe I'm just closer to the "normal" folk due to my n00biness, so I have a clearer view of the situation.

We're on the same side dude. I think maybe I'm just closer to the "normal" folk due to my n00biness, so I have a clearer view of the situation.

Ehh! We can leave it at that. Maybe I'm becoming one of the crotchety old members. Though I would still disagree on the "clearer view of the situation".:angel

Some of you Digital 3d Haters are lumping all of Us into your dumb circle of talentless easy buck hacks, based on your opinions formed over simple flat hardsurface objects created from extruded splines. Saying it's all non artist like and easy as pie, and most of us digital 3d guys have no concept of true 3d forms or any true artistic abilities.

I want to slam my keyboard into my monitor so bad right now. This CGI hate stuff is everywhere on the net, and it's really tiring.

I am more into organic than hard surfaced.

Zbrush as far as I see it is Digital Clay

Improvements over real world clay:
Undo/Redo button

The ability to sculpt both sides at the same time using symmetry.

To save any alterations to the original as a different file.

The ability to dynamically pose the model in different action and facial poses as many times as you want without destroying the original unposed model.

The ability to 3d surface texture the final sculpt with alphas images you made from photos of real world textures, including images/scans you made off of real human skin.

Is it easier than clay. I don't think so. These objects don't sculpt themselves. The topology has to be redone at some point if the original base mesh you started from lacked have the proper topology to support the new shapes you forced into the model.

Be it clay or digital, at least as far as non spline extruded mechanical flat forms are concerned. It's very much the same and it still requires artistic abilities to do anything worth a damn.

I get mad as hell when people say CGI is lame and then they say CGI guys have no concept or knowledge of practical forms and sculpting, and we aren't capable artists or real ones for that matter.

I was hands on clay guy since age 14. I'm 33 now. I love digital sculpting, but I love it over practical for very personal reasons. I don't have to worry about how much clay or free space I have. I if I make a critical shape or texture mistake, all I have to do is click Cntrl Z and it's undone. No more bagging sculpts, or making room to work on and store them.

Using the photoshop airbrush like interface to grow and push into digital object allows me to build forms much more faster than I could in the real world via carving and clumping pieces of clay and wax together.

I love it, but I don't think it's all that different from real world sculpting. It's like sculpting 2.0, but it doesn't do the work all by itself. It's a tool and it still requires the skill of an artisan to do stuff with it.

I am a little leary about people trying to label image ref hunters in the same zone as recasters. Let's set this straight. Recasting involves no artistic talent whatsoever to reproduce the item.

All that's requires is a mold made off of the original item being re-casted. If you are saying the guys judging and using image ref to create something from nothing is the same. I do not agree with you.

I did not know that Zenix deliberately looked at Megatron's work to make his. Even so I think he mainly looked at the back of the key- not being able to find any ref of that area online. Using the "You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could" argument isn't exactly tiger-blood here.

Megatron stood on shoulders as well when he used the items original ref images to help him make his replica. Slapped and sold.

I don't think this ref issue is the same as recasting. I think setting this up as a rule could lead to some misuse issues.

If I find something on a prop no else has found before me, and I put it on my replica. Can I claim that no one can repeat my finds on their attempts? Ridiculous.

That's called property control over the original, not the replica. That's the personal ownership fear agenda I'm talking about.

Let me put it to you this way. I have very rare ref of the back of Yoda's head.. I have not seen anyone nail this region like it actually is. I'm not talking about the spinning ref from yodajeff.com
I got mine from a curator of a museum. The images I have of this area is not circulated to the public. It was taken for me alone. When I finish my digital Yoda and I circulate the replica I made from the 3d print to the fans.

Can I make beef with anyone who makes a Yoda after mine that winds up having the same wrinkled line play on the back of the head.

I don't think so. Unless it's a recast.

If you search through this board you will see many members comparing their replicas to previous replicas from other members, showcasing the improvements over the previous attempts. In essence this new law is already heavily violated in the practical world of replica making. Of course people who make the same things look at the attempts that happened before theirs- in hopes to make a more accurate follow up in most cases.

The only 3d Digital I know that is closer to this "click easy" stuff some of you people are going on about- is extruded spline hardsurface based designs like this key and things like a bat symbol. Not all Hardsurfaced forms fall into this "Easy As Pie" area.

The only opinions I take seriously are from those who use and are proficient in what they speak for or against.

Last edited:
Well now you do know he deliberately copied work he knew was a custom design of Megatrons.
He had to know it was custom as there was no reference of the rear of the real prop plus Megatron made no secret of the fact his rear design was entirely his own custom design.
That is the real issue here the copying of a members custom design without his prior knowledge or consent.

Actually this point is not entirely clear to me, who originally designed the Constellation of Kasterborous?

Actually this point is not entirely clear to me, who originally designed the Constellation of Kasterborous?
I've been quietly reading, since I don't have much to add in the thread, but I had a similar question someone may clear up; the constellation also appeared on a previous generation Tardis key, did it not?

I'm not a frequent Dr. Who watcher, so I wasn't sure.

Seems to me that there is a lot of unnecessary spite being directed against digital modeling. If the issue at hand is whether it is kosher or not to reference another member's work in your own work for commercial use, then whether the method of reproduction is a practical cast or a 3D print is irrelevant.

It seems to me that the crux of the entire key disagreement is that the Constellation isn't an original design from Megatron, and the idea of putting the design from the older key on the back of the newer key is not unique enough for Megatron to claim ownership. The mistake Zenix made was copying the design directly off the Megatron key, since he reproduced the missing bar between 2 of the dots. I think he gets acquitted on a technicality.

Basically it comes down to, if you like the idea enough to use it, ask permission.

Well now you do know he deliberately copied work he knew was a custom design of Megatrons.
He had to know it was custom as there was no reference of the rear of the real prop plus Megatron made no secret of the fact his rear design was entirely his own custom design.
That is the real issue here the copying of a members custom design without his prior knowledge or consent..

No, now I know he based the back of his design on an image of another members replica.

When I posted my original message in this thread, I did not know that Zenix knew that it was something Megatron originated. In fact this is now new news to me. Thanks to your information on the matter.

I suggested that the lack of ref out there lead Zenix to believe that Megatron's Tardis key had the the props original details on the back of his replica vs a independently artistic addition.

That is the rub bub.

Again Zenix did poor research and for that he must face the lions. I didn't do crap, but I'm detecting the problems this new law might cause in other circumstances. I usually avoid posting in threads like this.

Hypotethiclly speaking here, let's say that the details on the back of Megatron's Prop were exact to the prop- but ref of that part of the prop was only available to a select number of people. So what then when the replica goes public and others want to try and make there own ground up attempts?

I'm trying to show you how this can and will be abused to prevent others from making thier own ground up non recast versions.

In the end I have to roll with the rules set around here, I dont think I'll ever be in danger of breaking this image ref rule.

I'm against things this place is not. Like using lifecasts not licensed to you to create your busts replicas, and recasting film props, and using 3d files given to the autodesk community by companies like digital domain and stan winston studios to make masks and helmets.

I believe it's only marginally cool when you do it totally from scratch. That is a personal opinion and by no means supported here.

I think people really need to think this one over a bit before it's a done deal.

...and there are always people who insist the technology isn't as good.

Right up until the point that it is. Then you just sound like a fool.

It doesn't matter what industry or art form you are talking about.

I never said the tech wasn't good, but it is a solid fact that it takes more skill to make something entirely by hand and especially have it be GOOD without the 3d modeling in CAD and having a machine precisely carve it out for you without you having to do anything except lift a finger...literally. You sound like a fool to think otherwise.

Fact of the matter is that tech made replicas have their place. After all, who really wants to make an entire replica blaster rifle by hand filing metal to the right shape and using a skill saw and hammer to shape parts to do it? How would you possibly make enough of them to sell if that was your intention? Manufactured practices are there for that reason, the ease of making large quantities of the exact same item over and over again. Still, if someone showed they made an exact replica blaster using only very basic hand tools out of a chunk of steel...you really telling me that that persons skills wouldn't impress you as much as a mass produced machine made replica? if you say other I call you either a liar or just plain stupid.

It's not the same in regard to a piece being manufactured for commercial use, but both cases involved a replica that ended up being used as reference as if it were the genuine article.

Most of the dialogue concerned only the constellation. I believe only a few (or even one person, yourself) have remarked on the others, being the thickness of the "wings" as well as the detail above where the key would enter the lock.

Megatron didn't bring up the other details but even though I pointed them out, believe me this was always about more than just the constellation.

Alright, I'm Sooooo Tired of the "Technology is bad" feeling being displayed by some here.

*Snip*

When I first joined the RPF, I was one of few who had a laser. In my threads, I often heard "That's Cheating" or "That's not fair". I'm sure most of it was in jest but there was a definite current in that direction. Now, lasers are much more common and pretty much an expected part of prop making.

All you "tech is bad" people do realize that more and more propmasters are using things like CNC, Lasers, and 3d Printing, right?

I never said "Tech is bad". Tech is great. It's awesome. It's certainly not like I own no props whatsoever that were made on a CNC there guy. XD I am just saying that it takes more artistry and talent to do it without the CNC and 3D modeling.

They are all just tools, and simply because you have access to it, does not mean you have the talent to use it correctly. It does not mean you have the ability design the part correctly.

When Straker said "I will always hold in higher consideration that which was hand sculpted, hand molded and hand cast." Really? What if the prop I am replicating was designed in Zbrush, then 3d Printed? Should I go back to hand sculpting because "that's how they did it when I was a kid"?

Again, it's not the tech, it's the talent (or lack thereof) using it!

And.... off the soapbox.

I can't speak for Megatron on his feelings on the matter of tech but for me this is never about whether tech is bad or not.

I am going to address your comment to me however. The question you asked has no bearing what-so-ever on the statement I made that you quoted for a start, and the answer to your question is, no. Absolutely not. We all do what we can with the skills and tools at our disposal but you ARE going to have to get used to the fact that just because you can make the same thing in CAD and make it on a mill or CNC or 3D printer or some other fully automated machine does NOT mean you are as skilled as the person that does it all by hand without those tools. You are not. This isn't kindergarten and we are all not winners.

Now if you're curious to know, if you DID go back to doing it by hand sculpting it, and you asked if I was more impressed by that effort than by your previous CAD modeled and 3D printed version, I would indeed be even more impressed by what you made, even if it wasn't as precise as a machine made version. I will hold that piece you made in higher consideration at that point. Why? Takes more talent to do it that way. It takes more skill, more patience, more time to craft something by hand. More drive, more determination to hone your skills and be the best. I hate to use the violin example again but...what do you think will be worth more in years to come? A hand crafted, hand carved violin by a world renowned violin maker or a violin made by Fender in a factory? Here's a clue, it's not the factory made one. There's a reason for that and if you don't know what it is you never will understand my point of view or the reason why it's a fact that a Fender violin will never be as desirable as a Stradivari or an Amati. In you're mind, they're all just as good and in the real world, it doesn't work that way.

Thing is that everyone things that that means that I think that "the old ways is the best ways" ummm....no. This isn't an anti-technology thing you're hearing from me. I am just saying that I will always hold a craftsman that can still do the same thing by by hand that another person does in a computer in higher regard. If you do it all by computer, bless you. I'd probably still buy your stuff anyway if it's something I collect and doesn't suck, but I'll pay more and treat the item like gold if you did the exact same thing with just your hands and some basic tools.

Seems to me that there is a lot of unnecessary spite being directed against digital modeling. If the issue at hand is whether it is kosher or not to reference another member's work in your own work for commercial use, then whether the method of reproduction is a practical cast or a 3D print is irrelevant.

^ THIS!

It seems to me that the crux of the entire key disagreement is that the Constellation isn't an original design from Megatron, and the idea of putting the design from the older key on the back of the newer key is not unique enough for Megatron to claim ownership. The mistake Zenix made was copying the design directly off the Megatron key, since he reproduced the missing bar between 2 of the dots. I think he gets acquitted on a technicality.

Basically it comes down to, if you like the idea enough to use it, ask permission.

It's not just the constellation. 9_9 I do believe I pointed out all the things that Megatron put into that key that were his own design aesthetic that were transposed to the other replica in question...in pictures no less. The only "acquittal" here is that Megatron and Zenix sort of "settled out of court" so to speak.

Now. If other people want to argue with people that are ACTUALLY anti-technology, go for it. But from now on, please, PLEASE leave me out of it for I do love technology. Since Megatron, Zenix and the RPF Moderators have reached a conclusion, I bow out as I have repeated myself over and over again and if people STILL don't understand after that then I can't help yous guys. -Later.

Hypotethiclly speaking here, let's say that the details on the back of Megatron's Prop were exact to the prop- but ref of that part of the prop was only available to a select number of people. So what then when the replica goes public and others want to try and make there own ground up attempts?

I've been thinking about this as well and it's definitely a sticky bit. As an example I have been given extremely rare detailed photos of a particular screen used prop with the specific instructions that they are not to be distributed to anyone until I am told otherwise- they were given to me strictly for my reference only and I must honor that agreement.

Regarding the prop I am building, it would be difficult for someone else to know if the details I am including are on the actual prop or if they are my interpretation since they do not have access to the same information I do. If they were to exactly copy my work and sell reproductions then under the rules that would be considered a no no- unless they could show evidence that what I did was accurate to the original prop. In other words, if you are selling reproduction props and you are in dispute with another member your research will eventually have to back up your work.

The key word here is "exactly." What matters is if the reproduced prop is easily recognized as a copy of my work before the detailed photos of the original prop are released. Once those detailed photos are in the public domain then all bets are off in my mind. Once all the specific details of an original prop are in the public domain then it simply does not matter if two props appear to be identical to the original- I'd even say it is inevitable depending on the quality of reference material available and it will be increasingly difficult to prove that one replica prop is a copy of another replica prop. This is why some builders put "tells" in their props.

These rules of course would only apply to this board and its members. There is absolutely no way to prevent someone from obtaining my prop, scanning it, reproducing it and start selling copies on eBay or wherever- our honor code does not apply to that realm and no one should expect it to.

Maybe it's just me but I think a lot of this arguing about what constitutes a copy is somewhat excessive. I've always been under the impression that we are all here to share information, ideas and techniques about our hobby. One of the most recent examples I can think of is the Hellboy Mecha Glove. I've always wanted to build one that was somewhat accurate and there's no way I would be able to without all of the great photos and information posted by other board members.

When I post tutorials I include all my source files. I want people to build it. Most of the time I find that people don't want to go to the trouble of building things and they contact me anyway to see if I'll build it for them. In many instances I license things as Non-Commercial specifically so I can ensure the information is always free and that someone isn't trying to make a buck off it- especially if they are just copying the information and selling it without contributing anything. All I ask is that people give credit to those that have helped them along the way. If someone gives you all of their reference material then be polite and take the time to thank them.

I am often reminded of a famous quote:
“That as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.”
Benjamin Franklin

I have no problem whatsoever with rapid prototyping, computer modeling or 3D scanning. It's wonderful technology that in my mind will only make our hobby more accessible. With three kids I have very limited free time so I can have a 3D printer build a model while I am outside riding bikes with my kids- I think that's great. A computer tablet is no different than pen and paper in my mind and it takes just as much skill and talent to build a good 3d solid model as it does to sculpt clay- it is simply a different skill set.

I am a professional jeweler (going on 14 years now) and I still carve wax patterns by hand all the time because I can do it faster than my boss can model certain complex shapes on the computer. I can guarantee there are things I can make by hand that no currently available 3D printer can reproduce. I also have a background in fine art (drawing, painting, etc.) as well as engineering- I worked as a designer in the bicycle industry for 12 years so I'm not just familiar with traditional craftsmanship but with all manners of mass production as well. I'll use whatever tool I feel is necessary to get the job done in the best manner I see fit. Everyone has a different skill set- we each use our own tools to build what we want and I personally enjoy learning about new techniques and technology as it makes this hobby more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:
I never said "Tech is bad". Tech is great. It's awesome. It's certainly not like I own no props whatsoever that were made on a CNC there guy. XD I am just saying that it takes more artistry and talent to do it without the CNC and 3D modeling.

I never said you said tech is bad, but there are some in this thread showing that inclination.

I am going to address your comment to me however. The question you asked has no bearing what-so-ever on the statement I made that you quoted for a start, and the answer to your question is, no. Absolutely not. We all do what we can with the skills and tools at our disposal but you ARE going to have to get used to the fact that just because you can make the same thing in CAD and make it on a mill or CNC or 3D printer or some other fully automated machine does NOT mean you are as skilled as the person that does it all by hand without those tools. You are not. This isn't kindergarten and we are all not winners.

Sorry, not buying it. I'm not going to have to get used to anything. We are talking about different skillsets and talent that different people have. You just value one over the other and then say that your value system is fact.

I never said you said tech is bad, but there are some in this thread showing that inclination.

Sorry, not buying it. I'm not going to have to get used to anything. We are talking about different skillsets and talent that different people have. You just value one over the other and then say that your value system is fact.

I have to agree. 3d modeling for printing or CNC takes just as much talent and hard work as sculpting clay. It's just a different set of skills. For instance, I have made a few models and sell them through shapeways, these are original designs not based off any one thing.

One example
185759_1872837581561_1259807970_32235549_6944445_n.jpg

Does this mean I am not an "artist" like you ,Stalker, because you sculpt in clay? I hate to break it to you it takes just as much artistic ability to sculpt clay as it does to sculpt pixels, don't beleive me ask anyone at ILM, Pixar, Stan Winston Studios, etc.

I am sorry but this is the exact same BS that went through with Pepakura. Shapeways is a tool that the prop community can utilize to make some really great stuff, and for less!

Lets look at it, how much money does it take to make a ring like mine? You need Wax, the ability to carve that wax, then the ability to mold it etc. Then you need the equipment to melt the gold/silver/pewter/etc to pour into the mold. It tends to bring the price up. Now that specific ring from a custom jeweler would cost well over 500 bucks, but by me doing all the CAD work and sending it to Shapeway my wife can have a new gold ring for 10 times less than any custom jeweler.

Honestly does it make it "easier" for recasters? Yes and no. Yes in the fact that they could theoretically copy something from a photo, but they still have to make the model! It isn't as easy as point, click, profit. Take the Sinestro concept ring for example. Now Zenix, Bimmer, and myself all have made digital mockups, all three of us used the same three concept pics form the GL making of book, Yet all three of us have come up with three different rings. Mine has taken the better part of two weeks to get it to a point I am even able to have it printed let alone be happy with it (which I am still not!)

Now lets look at recasting something that was hand sculpted, say..... a Gilman bust. Some one sculpts it, casts it, sells a copy, a recaster buys a resin copy and then pours silicone over it.....

lets see which "recasting" is easier? mocking a 3d model up from a photo vs dumping something in Silicone?

My main issue here is that a few people are seem to be saying a few thing that sound an aweful lot like " Shapeway users are all recasters" and "3d modelling it to easy". As some one still learning the ropes of 3d model making myself I can tell you it is easier to sculpt something in real life.

Last edited:
being a hand sculptor and having a degree in 3D i have to say that there has been hundreds of times that i wished i had a "mirror tool" while i hand sculpt.
in that respect i don't think there's an argument to the ease of 3D modeling over sculpting, despite the talent involved.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back