IMAGE HEAVY : Chell (Portal 2) Progress (ASHPD, Boots and Jumpsuit)

carlylewis

Hello!

So I’m about to put a rocket up my Chell (.ver Portal 2) to make sure it is done before AVCon. (Adelaide’s Anime and Video Game Convention) (I’m in South Australia…)
The con is late July…so I’ve about 6 weeks to go! AHHHHH!

Components are of course the jumpsuit, tank top, ASHPD and Boots.
So far I have;
Put the jumpsuit together, just waiting on the boots to line up the knee patches
Put the tank top together, just need to do the binding on the blue part
Gun and boot progress below!

GUN!!
My boyfriend modelled the ASHPD in 3D for me; I pulled the model out of the game using 3D Ripper DX but the high res one (player view) wasn’t complete and the low res one was…well low res. J
So with a combination of the two for reference he put it together, and made it print ready.
I went with Shapeways for the printing, in their ‘White Strong and Flexible’ material.
In the interest of symmetry and saving time, the parts I’ve received have come out awesomely! The team at my local moulding and casting shop recommended a 2pac finish on the shell (white parts) and tray (black) to make it a bit fancy, and I agree. Money pending I will take it to a car repairers to be done. (I have an electric spray gun…but surely I wouldn’t get the result they will!)

Of the parts I have received though, the claws are the most impressive. It is so surreal to see them ‘in real life’!

Some parts weren’t thick enough, and got knocked back. So far I have received the front and back casing, the barrel, the back tube insert/holder (the round thing!) and the claws. I am still waiting on the ‘tray’ which has a little insert at the front. (really not easy to explain! Pics below)

5837986687_b567eb49f5.jpg

5837998869_915eb8471b.jpg

5837998889_6754f5a01c.jpg

5837998885_c89dcd16d4.jpg

5837986697_7822ee631e.jpg

5837998865_7d7e404088.jpg

5837986699_39beb643c3.jpg

5837986695_10f421929c.jpg

5837986693_cdfb4a8768.jpg

Have got my plastic tube; both acrylic in the sizes the game rip model called for.

5837998879_7d86b69f76.jpg

Claw tip to back, it will be just over 50cm.

BOOTS
So on another thread I had talked about making those springs out of metal; I gave a trailer builder a line for the curve and explained what they were for, suggested a size and left them to it. I ended up with 2 8mm steel bars which weigh more than is suitable. Like almost 10kg. So, I’ve waxed up the inside of one of them, and will apply some PVA to use them as a mould for glass, Kevlar and carbon fibre. Looking forward to it!!

Have cut the heels off of my ‘Pleaser’ boots. Scored the outside with the Dremmel, got plastic in my eye, then had my boyfriend (chivalry or pity?) use the hack saw to cut them off completely. I got this brand because I read somewhere they have a solid acrylic sole and heel…which is just what we need to help support the arches and heels when wearing these boots! All the support we can get! (actually…these actually have the best arch support I’ve ever felt in a boot! Almost felt bad hacking the heels off)

Any thoughts or suggestions? (or advice…? J )

And while we’re on the topic of ideas; I also want to make a Valkyrian Lance and Shield from Valkyria Chronicles.
No idea how.

5838590602_36f37d3b79_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that wouldn't have been cheap?
i had some stuff done by shapeways about 12 months ago, brilliant stuff.

but pretty pricey for this kinda work?

that wouldn't have been cheap?

Ah, no. :unsure

Something to the extent of $500 AUD.

I guess my main aim was to make sure that everything was smooth, symetrical and accurate.
I don't have any experience with wonderflex, body filler or anything like that, so this was my best bet for getting a decent build down.

Next build I might just print the claws and the round tube bits; at least I know they will be spot on!

Ah, no. :unsure

Something to the extent of $500 AUD.

I guess my main aim was to make sure that everything was smooth, symetrical and accurate.
I don't have any experience with wonderflex, body filler or anything like that, so this was my best bet for getting a decent build down.

Next build I might just print the claws and the round tube bits; at least I know they will be spot on!
Oh my $500AUD? wow, that's rather expensive. I was thinking about ordering a 3D print of parts of the Portal Gun like you but man that is expensive!

I was thinking about ordering a 3D print of parts of the Portal Gun like you but man that is expensive!

Maybe just do some not all? The claws were about $20, the 'insert' bit was the same. You could print one insert, and mould another? The front casing was about $80, and the back casing and the tray (hasn't come yet) were $130. I guess it just comes down to how confident you are at fabrication...I wasn't at all so this was a way I could assure I got good looking parts! Hope this helps!

EDIT: The barrel was $60.

Last edited:
Maybe just do some not all? The claws were about $20, the 'insert' bit was the same. You could print one insert, and mould another? The front casing was about $80, and the back casing and the tray (hasn't come yet) were $130. I guess it just comes down to how confident you are at fabrication...I wasn't at all so this was a way I could assure I got good looking parts! Hope this helps!
Hm...I guess I could do one, then mold it seeing as you are doing the whole thing. Do you happen to have the files you uploaded to Shapeways? I hate to be a bother and ask but it would make my life 10000 times easier.

That is all!? I was thinking at least 1k when I thought of it.

Really? Sheesh glad it wasn't! :)

Have done some wet sanding today on the 3D prints, and have started fiberglassing the heel springs. Will post pics of the weekend's progress tomorrow night or Mon morning. Hoping to get a decent chunk done; time's a tickin'!

Really? Sheesh glad it wasn't! :)

Have done some wet sanding today on the 3D prints, and have started fiberglassing the heel springs. Will post pics of the weekend's progress tomorrow night or Mon morning. Hoping to get a decent chunk done; time's a tickin'!

Which heel springs are you doing? The Portal 1 ones or the Portal 2 boots?

I can't wait to see them. How are you even going to make them?

I can't wait to see them either!
I made a form of the back of my leg with duct tape and wire, slathered some PVA over it and fiberglassed it. The next step is to make the strips over the front and under the foot arch. Then once all parts are together, the body filler, sanding, priming and painting begins.
The springs are more or less done; over the glass/kevlar/carbon layers i've brushed on some layers of black pigmented resin, sanded back, resined again etc until I got the nice, consistant and shiny finish I was after. I'll attach these to the calf parts with epoxy, then drill some bolts through for accuracy.
The rest of the boot is a platform boot with the heel cut off.

Fingers crossed! Will post more pics shortly.

Thanks Guys!
I took it to work yesterday to show the colleagues; I’ve been talking about it enough!
In the lift in the morning a mid 50's woman asked me if it was some sort of medical device.
In the lift at the end of the day, a late 80's man commented that it was a "beast of a thing". Yes. Yes it is.

I'm doing a skit on the day too; I have a black box which will be on stage, and it will have an orange portal on it. I'm going to go through the portal on stage, and come out on the screen! My boyfriend filmed me mucking around on a green screen last weekend, and although it is very much an amateur job, the video is shaping up to be pretty awesome! I will share a video on YouTube sometime next week after I recover from the lack of sleep lately!

Looks amazing! Are you going to add portal opening sounds to it?

I have the sound chip, but this is my first wiring project so i'm having a little trouble getting it to work. Probably won't be ready for AVCon (this weekend!) But i'll certainly get it working. :)

Great jeebus on ice skates, Batman. That's amazing!

Heheh...a little bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back