Back to the Future 2015 jacket need help

Sold! Just ordered a can of this! Thanks a lot! I have transmission belts on the jacket at the mo, but they are rather rigid and although I've bent them, they still try to straighten themselves.

Incidently, my new batch of fabric arrived today, will begin sewing it on tomorrow, here's a pic of it :)

RPFStuff001.jpg

It's a slip mat, its what carpeters use to stop rugs and carpets moving about on the floorboards, its a rubbery material too, it only cost me £3 for a roll of it :D

Small update, today my 3mm black styrene arrived so this evening I've been carving out and shaping all new motor boxes, control boxes and belt runners for the jacket. Also using some thin styrene, I've created the textured red criss cross pattern that can be seen inside the motor boxes and control boxes. Everything's cut out, tomorrow I'll begin assembly :)

Not sure if you guys have seen my jacket yet. It was originally the B@M.J. jacket which I've reupholstered. Here are some pics.

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

Snapshot_20110412.jpg

I been trying to find some rubber for the sleeves, found some thin neoprene but i'm not sure how it would hold up by the way those sleeves are made

Hey guys, thought I'd post an update on where I'm at with it all. The pieces for the project boxes are cut, though I can't assemble them because they're part assembled, sewn on the jacket, then finished if you know what I mean. What's held this up is sourcing more of the red fabric, had a bit of a nightmare with it.

The roll grip liner I ordered before, I used the same glue to fix it on the jacket as what they use to fix it under carpets. However, the liner stayed tacky in places, even after 7 days :( wasn't best pleased. Then the pieces started to fall off. Sewing is definitely the way forward with this, last time I take my brother's advice ;)

So, finding this stuff in red is an absolutely NIGHTMARE. Black, no problem, white, gotcha covered, red? the only stuff I could find is like for inside drawers, very narrow roll, not nearly as much as I need. I found a large roll in red, unfortunately it was burgundy, so back to searching.

after trawling the net for ages, and trying various search terms, red slip mat, red grip mat, red grip liner, red carpet liner, red non slip mat, red no slip mat, etc... I came across this stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StayPut-non...LT0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309297289&sr=8-2

Pretty close I think. It shipped today, should be here tomorrow or the day after, and I'll get to work right away stitching it on.

Also found this stuff too whilst looking about, if I could find it in black, what would you guys think about using that for the cuffs? just an idea thats all

Non slip, non skid and anti slip products from Practical SurfaceWare

U2fan, your jacket is great, wish my sleeves did that, what sort've material are they made of? Mine are a poly cotton blend, they have a shine like rubber but are still soft like fabric

as for the coat fabric the best stuff ive seen is the rubber fabric you get on table tennis bats its known as pimppled rubber and it comes in red. google it see what you think.

Ok ok this idea suddenly pops into my head outta nowhere

2011-07-13224250.jpg
[/IMG]

Simple enough and self explanatory... The cords connect to the bottom of the sleeve, pulleys are inside the jacket and magnets are on the strips of the extending parts of the jacket to secure the size adjustment into place.

Now if anybody knows how to use a motor and can connect the cord to it that would be awesome (somewhat similar to the powerlace technology but just applied to the jacket's sleeves)

Last edited:
I'd love to see pics of your progress! I'm doing something similar with the magnets, but didn't think about the pull coard. Cool idea! Btw... I'm offering the service of converting the B@M.J. BTTF II jacket into one that looks far more screen accurate (as seen in my display pic.) For more info on the price and so on please visit the junk yard:)

I actually thought about this too, though I decided against. A few months ago I tried something similar with my ghostbusters gear, I had a chord running through my sleeve and through an eyelet under the armpit that was attached to a gas canister that sprayed when I pulled it, to make it look like my pack was venting. On the first pull, the eyelet gave way and tore the under arm of my flightsuit, I wasn't happy to say the least. I'm just saying in concept its sound but it'd put a lot of stress on the fabric of the jacket, that rubber on the sleeves is quite a weight for the jacket to lift.

Btw, my jacket is finished. I'll be posting up photos of my rebuild tonight ;)

Sorry for the late reply, well here it is, finished :D

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

I also added a blinking LED to simulate the drying mode alert.

IMG_1883.jpg

JLeezy23, I got the styrene off ebay, just searched for black styrene. I got 3mm thick stuff.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back