Back to the Future 2015 jacket need help

Bob Wobbaz

Hey guys, I wondering if anyone can help me here. I'm doing some major revisions to my back to the future part 2 jacket, I've been trying to make more screen accurate for the London Film and Comicon, Christopher Lloyd is going to be there on the Sunday dressed as Doc Brown with the Delorean. Before, my jacket was close, but made more for daily wear. Now I am trying to make it look more authentic. I've already sourced some red slip mats to add to the red fabric to make the dimpled red material of the jacket, which looks a thousand times better. However, I'm having real issues with it peeling away, what I've used is spray glue, the same kind used to adhere these slip mats under carpets. also its feeling a little tacky still and its been a few days, can anyone suggest what I could do to remedy this?

What I'm also struggling with is sourcing the cuffs. I know that the cuffs and hem were bellows from the back of an office chair. I've scoured the internet looking for these, I have found websites that sell them but the smallest pack size I've found anywhere is 50, undoubtedly I'll never get around to using all of them.

Mey CHAIR SYSTEMS GmbH - Zubehör / accessories here's the site, item 17-1

I'm just wondering if anyone has sourced a place where you can buy these individually? I estimate I only really need about 5 or 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Yeah, what I have now for the cuffs are vehicle transmission belts, they look the part but because the belts are inverted they have a want to straighten themselves, the jacket fits well, but still hangs off the body if you know what I mean. I think I will end up buying the 50 pack, I've been quoted 50 Euros, which is around 45 pounds, I can live with that, just seemed a bit of a waste really, wonder if people here would need them for their jackets? Outatime1978, cool, I have the 85 marty costume too, first time I've been out in my bttf gear this one, more often than not do Ghostbusters :De

If you get the 50 pack, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will buy at least a few of them off you to recoup your cost.

Yeah, what I have now for the cuffs are vehicle transmission belts, they look the part but because the belts are inverted they have a want to straighten themselves, the jacket fits well, but still hangs off the body if you know what I mean. I think I will end up buying the 50 pack, I've been quoted 50 Euros, which is around 45 pounds, I can live with that, just seemed a bit of a waste really, wonder if people here would need them for their jackets? Outatime1978, cool, I have the 85 marty costume too, first time I've been out in my bttf gear this one, more often than not do Ghostbusters :De

I would buy some for my jacket for sure.

Very nice! What did you use for the red material? I've fired them an email, am waiting to hear back, probably will be Monday now, and later in the week to next week when I get them.

Some bad news with my red fabric, the glue has not dried at all, in over a week. The fabric has began to come away from the jacket. I feel what i'm best doing now is to pull it all off, order some more and hand stitch it in place. I have thought of sewing a sort've grid over the fabric too, to stop it bubbling off the back of the jacket? What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Very nice! What did you use for the red material? I've fired them an email, am waiting to hear back, probably will be Monday now, and later in the week to next week when I get them.

Some bad news with my red fabric, the glue has not dried at all, in over a week. The fabric has began to come away from the jacket. I feel what i'm best doing now is to pull it all off, order some more and hand stitch it in place. I have thought of sewing a sort've grid over the fabric too, to stop it bubbling off the back of the jacket? What does everyone think?

I didn't make the jacket, I bought it from the guy who used to dress up as Marty at Universal Studios Orlando. The red material is made out of yoga mattress material painted red.

I'm afraid I don't, not until they arrive, I've only got what the website pic has to show too. When they arrive, I'll take some pics to show everyone. Thanks for the interest though :)

I found this for you which may help
Lot81_bttf2_marty_2015_jacket1.jpg

I worked at BTTFTR at Universal Hollywood when it opened.
They used to have screen used props in the Pre-Show Que lobby cages.
On levels 1, and I think 3.
They had 2 of these jackets, one on each level
One was the jacket worn by Marty,
The other was the malfunctioning one his son wears.

They were just thrown over the back of a leather office chair in front of mock up desks that were supposed to be Martys desks.

After a few years, The latex on the arms started to tear and fall apart and one of the managers didn't like the way they looked.

She took it upon herself one night to pull them out when no one was around and threw them in the regular trash.

Had I know, they would have been mine and restored.

Still makes me sick to this day.

Sorry saw your thread and had to share.
Not sure how many of the jackets they actually made,
But pretty sure these were 2 screen used hero jackets,
Gone forever to the city dump.

Some where in storage I have a Pizza Hut silver wrapper,
See if I can dig that up for some reference pics if anyone might be interested

Good luck with your build!

Thats an incredible story, what a shame your boss couldn't see what these things are worth, I bet universal weren't happy when they found out? Just think, if they were salvaged and restored it could've let us know the materials years ago. Ah well

Some bad news guys...I won't be getting the bellows. I contacted the company about placing an order, they only deal with orders from companies and will not deal with private persons. I'm at a loss with this now... I think I'm gonna have to make do with the transmission belts I have in place already. Sorry fellas, I tried. I've ordered more slip mats and should begin sewing them on in a few days, hope to have some photos to show you all soon.

Last edited:
hey.. i'm from germany and tried to find a similar bellow, but no luck so far.. cant you just use a regular round bellow, cut it open, make it flat with a hot air gun and from there make em the shape you want?

I have looked at numerous bellows for different purposes, air conditioning, car venting, industrial, nothing other than these chair bellows seem to have that rounded square shape to them, most bellows are like air conditioning ones, kinda what the sleeves look like on the jacket :D No, I think unless I can find another supplier (I've contacted about 4 so far), apart from buying a load of office chairs and hacking them up, I'm gonna have to make do with what I have.

I have looked at numerous bellows for different purposes, air conditioning, car venting, industrial, nothing other than these chair bellows seem to have that rounded square shape to them, most bellows are like air conditioning ones, kinda what the sleeves look like on the jacket :D No, I think unless I can find another supplier (I've contacted about 4 so far), apart from buying a load of office chairs and hacking them up, I'm gonna have to make do with what I have.

can't you just say you're from a company? Don't know, invent a fake company email and then ask them again.

ooooooh, now thats pretty good! Any way you can think of making it water proof? Maybe using black trash bags and heat shrinking it onto the cardboard?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back