ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Ok, Finally done reading it all. Phew. Long time lurker, first time poster. First off, I'd like to continue the echo and say this thread is amazing. It inspired me to buy a Denix after wisely avoiding the scaled down airsoft at a flea market. Although mine seems a bit strange in that the slideable sight thumb nub is on the left not on the right like everyone else's. Any thoughts on how to pop that off and reattach it? I'm not quite sure how the bottom plate is fixed to the top.

Also, I noticed this was not mentioned once in the thread, but although usually it would not at all be correct to use such a tool on steel, we know propmakers use what they have around the shop, so to the point, has anyone ever considered the mystery disk was made with a forstner bit? That would account for the "hole" in the middle as well as the depth.

Thoughts?

Ok, Finally done reading it all. Phew. Long time lurker, first time poster. First off, I'd like to continue the echo and say this thread is amazing. It inspired me to buy a Denix after wisely avoiding the scaled down airsoft at a flea market. Although mine seems a bit strange in that the slideable sight thumb nub is on the left not on the right like everyone else's. Any thoughts on how to pop that off and reattach it? I'm not quite sure how the bottom plate is fixed to the top.

Also, I noticed this was not mentioned once in the thread, but although usually it would not at all be correct to use such a tool on steel, we know propmakers use what they have around the shop, so to the point, has anyone ever considered the mystery disk was made with a forstner bit? That would account for the "hole" in the middle as well as the depth.

Thoughts?

Hey Sabs, Welcome to the RPF. That is one helluva read. :) The sight slide comes aimed the wrong way for all Denixes. Just held in with a friction fit. Just use a slim screw driver to pop it apart and turn it around.

I've been trying to figure out what it is about the Han ANH that so fascinates us as a prop. I think it's that there was really the one Hero (Greedo killer excepted), it was live-fire, super wicked looking and lost to posterity. If the original was in somebody's collection somewhere and all questions were answered about it I don't think it would have the same fascination.

As far as the mystery disk. I'm not sure I ever want it to be figured out. Having an imagination-piquing mystery just ads to the mystique.

Thanks for the tip. I think that's where I'll start the work. I'll pick up some files on the weekend and start my collection of zink dust.

Sabs,
I look at the mystery disc from the persctive of the guys who built the original screen used prop. I would have added some sort of intensity setting knob. It is possible that whatever was attached there fell off once the blaster was holstered a few times or fell off during firing. I used a round sanding disc and a drill press to grind mine. Depending on whether you are going for screen accurate or idealized will determine how you make your mystery disc.

there was something for sure glued to the left side. Not only the Mt=ystery Disk, but on the slide rail too. You can see remnants of the glue and damage there.

Prob. did not like the holster. ! ; )

...not sure if everybody knows but there is another run of dl44 parts from DEC being made as well as some STEEL KITS ! if anyone is interested. Check out the project runs and DEC site for details.

I hate when people miss out...

I have been reading this thread whenever I free time and I have reached the limits of my child like patients. Can someone please post a link to where I can get one of these mythically awesome kits?

Signed,
A.D.D. in Dallas

Here's a pic of the 6 inch Black Series TFA Han figure:

o9HUIK0.jpg

The figure's blaster looks like the scope and mount were removed, turned sideways and mounted to the top.

Thoughts?

none of the photos, drawings, or even the trailer show this. It's a toy prototype... whoever assembled it screwed up.

Yeah.

I'm thinking that Hasbro (in their awful ways) just glued the piece sideways to the top, rather than on the side.

Probably a rushed job just to get the figure out on the floor.

In other shots of this toy prototype you can clearly see where the mount discs/washers/spacers are meant to be inserted into the right side... where here in this pic you see those spacers pointed up.

The blaster is going to be VERY close to the original ANH hero prop.

Looks like a 70 year-old Han Solo, ready to ROCK!! Even if this new series of movies is as abysmal as Lucas' return, at least the toys will be cool.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Okay, that's weird. Is that a gas valve at the bottom of the magazine? Did they use airsoft Mausers for these?

The barrel almost looks hexagonal, maybe it's just the light playing tricks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back