ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

When I was at MR, Jason Joyner, who owns a number of original SW props, told me that they are "plumbing adapter" parts that are stacked together to make the longer pieces we see.

He said the fins are soft plastic to fit into the ID of pipes.

I am not saying that is right or wrong, so don't attack me. I am just passing on what I was told. FYI.

I dunno.

are we sure they are not threads? Maybe just sloppy fitting.

Sure they never figured anyone would be looking so close!

herothreads.jpg

When I was at MR, Jason Joyner, who owns a number of original SW props, told me that they are "plumbing adapter" parts that are stacked together to make the longer pieces we see.

I am not saying that is right or wrong, so don't attack me. I am just passing on what I was told. FYI.

I dunno.

Very well could be former Qmx steve. Wish we could find some, although I personally don't want it on my model, but would be great to know the accurate size.

Thanks for the input!

Very nice observation Pat! It certainly appears to be two larger tapered pieces with a smaller, more tapered piece on top as you show. I remember it being brought up a long time ago about it being 3 pieces, but I never realized the taper to the lower pieces.

I think the threaded look to it may just be because the lower pieces are tapered and the bottom piece is tipped to where it looks untapered, leaving the fins angled kinda like threading.

-Carson

I am of course assuming that it's the same piece that's on the Merr Sonn. As you can see, those are definitely not threads. And they are not pointed fins either but square cut and flat on top.

It's an odd looking plumbing piece that's for sure!

fins.jpg

Now that I look at the Merr Son's grill pieces, I do see a possible slant to those fins as well. The bottom edge of the small un-finned area doesn't match the fins angle. Hard to say for sure, the bottom could of just been cut off crooked or something instead.

-Carson

I dunno.

Thanks for the tip, Steve! Anybody know someone with knowledge of vintage plumbing parts? You never know, we may get lucky. :thumbsup

-Carson

Last edited:

Wow Kurty! That is a much nicer shot than I had to work with! Do you have the whole section? Whole pic? Any other shots including these elements?

Really good discussion. You can see how flat the fins are from that shot.

The lower piece may indeed have been just cut anf=d glued sloppy and at an angle. That fuzzy pic makes it hard to tell. Anyone have any better?

Now what to do. If it is agreed that the HERO has these tapered parts as depicted, how do we feel about that? Do you all agree that the HERO, forgeting what it really is and going just by what it looks like, has the TOP section tapered towards the top and the center and bottom section tapered toward the bottom?

Looks like Deadbolt has his work cut out for him.

The size, funny enough is just about the diameter of the booster or the diameter to fit just inside the FH.

I am of course assuming that it's the same piece that's on the Merr Sonn. As you can see, those are definitely not threads. And they are not pointed fins either but square cut and flat on top.

It's an odd looking plumbing piece that's for sure!

fins.jpg

tiltglidegmn5detail.jpg

gat05030028x030005.jpg

going off of Carsons lead - Still not quite right. Only problem here is the profile of the fins... maybe in 1977 they were blunt on the edge.

note the angled rings like the hero I posted. curious.

Even closer, nice job! I still haven't found a match yet either. I could definitely see the ANH prop guys having a box of something like this laying around, considering their reputation for using common pieces like this one.

The First post has been updated with Pictures of the Finished Flash Hider :thumbsup

-Carson

That's one sweet lookin FH! Great job Carson.

I hope Kurty or someone else has some more better pics.

I was searching tube connectors, ribbed tube connectors etc.

roundribbedtubingplug50.jpg

May be on the right track.

Whatever it is... I think this is the way it was built and laid out.

Note the offset of the tube wall (yellow) I think this has been imaged before but the ring fins are tapered as far as I can tell.

What do you think?

herogrilllayoutcopy.jpg

Layout looks good.

Would a plumbing insert have an offset tube wall like that?

The resemblance to the radial cylinder halves is uncanny. They have the exact same step in the 'body' of the piece. Even the taper in the fins is exact. They're just not available in this size and from all my research they don't ever appear to have been available in this size according to the owner of Williams (although I did have one guy on a forum swear that they were).

Whatever it is... I think this is the way it was built and laid out.

Note the offset of the tube wall (yellow) I think this has been imaged before but the ring fins are tapered as far as I can tell.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Whatever it is, I wonder if it had different variations of straight rings and threaded rings. Some parts look like the fins are straight, and the bottom piece fins are starting to look threaded. Or warped maybe? Maybe it would if it was something like a rubber bicycle grip or something.

The fin sections definitely appear to taper from one end to the other though. :thumbsup

-Carson

Last edited:

The fins only taper out along the thin section of the stem. When it steps up to the larger diameter, the fins taper back in ever so slightly unto the other end.

Accurate replicas of this part were blueprinted by Lonepigeon years ago and machined by Boba Debt. I have them on my Leie ROTJ and Merr Sonn. But they would be better in plastic.

Whatever it is, I wonder if it had different variations of straight rings and threaded rings. Some parts look like the fins are straight, and the bottom piece fins are starting to look threaded. Or warped maybe? Maybe it would if it was something like a rubber bicycle grip or something.

The fin sections definitely appear to taper from one end to the other though. :thumbsup

-Carson

I agree, that's what I meant actually. :lol I should have said the fins. The body itself definitely looks straight, the taper to the larger sections of fins is something I never realized until Pat brought it up. Both of the lower parts of the grill look to have their own taper. :thumbsup

-Carson
The fins only taper out along the thin section of the stem. When it steps up to the larger diameter, the fins taper back in ever so slightly unto the other end.

Accurate replicas of this part were blueprinted by Lonepigeon years ago and machined by Boba Debt. I have them on my Leie ROTJ and Merr Sonn. But they would be better in plastic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back