ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

lets be the shark...

keep moving forward. we are making great progress!

images

anyone have any more or better pics and info on the booster insert? sizes etc off a vintage piece? Last step for the FH I think. I think Deadbolt can then wrap up some sort of Barrel/ booster insert that will show all the details that are visible in the Hero pics and be the most usable part to couple with the outstanding FH he has imaged.

Again, Thanks Carson for all the efforts and hard work!

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

even though I think we have proven the flat barrel etc, at the time we were discussing a centered barrel vs and offset. It did not occur to me that when talking about the HERO shooting blanks and needing enough pressure etc to fire and eject shells, the real kicker/proof is the fact that the Mauser feeds the cases into the chamber which extends from the mag well forward so the barrel would need to centered and unaltered in order for the rounds to feed at all!

Slapping my forehead!
what do you think?

That's a question I've turned over in my head for years and years. Why was the barrel offset so that it was taller on the top? The carbine version of the C-96 just has a longer version of the same barrel so no change there. I was thinking that it was a combination of needing clearance so the receiver could be removed and that it had something to do with needing a meatier barrel so it could be broken down and screwed back together. Still, it seemed like an awful lot of trouble to do things that way.

I don't see any reason why a bullet path would have to be bored into the exact center of the barrel necessarily. As long as there was enough material to support the firing of a bullet it could be cut anywhere within the space. A lot of revolvers have asymmetrical barrels so there is extra material to enclose the ejector rod for the cylinder.

Thanks to this thread we now know the answer that it wasn't offset!

Any idea what is going on in the area circled here? I wonder if the bull barrel was slightly too wide or if it got installed slightly cock-eyed. It looks like there is an extra little nip at the side next to the proof mark:

ANH_realhero_right_barrel.jpg

Maybe it's a tool mark? It certainly looks like a facet of some sort.

Dave

Any idea what is going on in the area circled here? I wonder if the bull barrel was slightly too wide or if it got installed slightly cock-eyed. It looks like there is an extra little nip at the side next to the proof mark:

Maybe it's a tool mark? It certainly looks like a facet of some sort.

Dave

It was discussed a little earlier in this thread that the center hole on the barrel may have been bored a little larger than necessary or threaded inside, and could have been offset a little after brazing and attaching it to the Mauser.

The left side doesn't look to have a chamfer mark like the right side looks, maybe they chamfered it anyways just because it was hanging over the receiver?

-Carson

The left side doesn't look to have a chamfer mark like the right side looks, maybe they chamfered it anyways just because it was hanging over the receiver?

-Carson

That's basically what I had figured. Sorry I missed the discussion, thought I had caught everything.

I agree, The receiver was prob a little asymmetric and the barrel wound up sitting a bit to the right of center. As Deadbolt pointed out, the LEFT HERO looks like it has a very slight misalignment letting the barrel sit slightly inboard.

I think they just knocked off the sharp edge... Don't want to give Sinatra a booboo.

Yeah, I noticed that the left side looked perfect (probably should have noted it in my post). Glad we're all on the same page :)

That's basically what I had figured. Sorry I missed the discussion, thought I had caught everything.

No worries, Dave! This thread has gotten quite l o n g, I think most of us have had a hard time finding anything in it.:lol

-Carson

Does anyone know anything about the UK show "The Protectors". Seems the NR SW may have been used in the show.

Sorry if it has been asked before.

Any results? Pics?

Counting on the Brits...

...Speaking of the Grill, now that you mention it, Has it ever bothered anyone else that the Grill doesn't seem quite straight, like it has been depicted in all the models and images. I know it is most likely plastic and sloppily applied on the HERO with residue and all, but if you look real close, and straighten out the pics and make then as square as possible, you will notice that the Grill fins are not straight even, parallel rings at all.

As discovered by participants of this thread a little while back and never before depicted on any MR or replica blaseters, the bottom fin of the grill is cut off in the front to allow it to fit over the Mag bump at the bottom of the frame.

In addition, I would like to propose that the entire grill, is not made up of straight even rings as on the MR, but that the top 1/3 set of rings is actually tapered back, being smaller at the top, which some others RPF members have noted.

I propose that that the CENTER and LOWER section ring sets are vertically flipped versions of the TOP section and taper down from larger to smaller as shown in the drawings below. I know it has been said that the parts were from a model plane engine etc. ant put together like this.

The only real point I am making is that I don't think the rings are straight, but are tapered as shown below.

(unless this has been discussed and found before in which case... never mind)

I kept checking because they just don't look straight in the HERO shot and actually look like the grill bulges in the middle but this is due to the overall OD lines at the heave joining rings I think.

Just thought I'd through a little monkey in the wrench for you guys to ponder.

Let me know what you think.

grillcomparepostcopy.jpg

I like wonky plastic!

I had noticed that the grill was made up of three parts but I hadn't noticed one was flipped upside down. Well spotted, guys.

Heres what I have on the Merr Sonn images

These parts look like they could be the same.

I can't quite rationalize the ring fins which look very regular on the ANH HERO and on the Merr Sonn until you line it up.

The profile of the fins don't look it... but could these be threads of some sort?

It is hard to visualize the twist of threads if there is any but look at the area where the rings come together.

I'm confused.

merrsonnthreadscopy.jpg

No, they're definitely not threads. The rings/fins are all parallel. They're just warped in that area. Maybe a felxible plastic or just damaged.

There is
Heres what I have on the Merr Sonn images

These parts look like they could be the same.

I can't quite rationalize the ring fins which look very regular on the ANH HERO and on the Merr Sonn until you line it up.

The profile of the fins don't look it... but could these be threads of some sort?

It is hard to visualize the twist of threads if there is any but look at the area where the rings come together.

I'm confused.

merrsonnthreadscopy.jpg

so if the longer - straighter section was available as seen in the middle section of the Merr-Sonn... why didn't they use it on the Solo HERO. The sections are defiantly separated by those other thicker rings.

take a look;

rings still look askew a bit but line up fairly well. I sized each hero as close as I could.

merrsonnringsvsanhhero.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back