ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

That does seem to be the Bunker blaster config. But if it is the ANH Mauser there seems to be no Grill or Disk. If the Disk was just missing paint, then it could have been refinished but the Grill was lost.

But again, If it is the ANH, why configure it that way? Why the long barrel and reversed scope?

Does not match the ROTJ blaster, (even in the next scene) or anything else used.

I think the second section of barrel from NR is too long (unmodified)

Have a look: The screen cap of NR. Second section is longer than entire Bunker barrel with FH. Then the silencer is added.

barrelsectionscopy.jpg

Last edited:

That does seem to be the Bunker blaster config. But if it is the ANH Mauser there seems to be no Grill or Disk. If the Disk was just missing paint, then it could have been refinished but the Grill was lost.

But again, If it is the ANH, why configure it that way? Why the long barrel and reversed scope?

Why do any of it?
It could be that the blaster was supposed to be for something else (like the "You Rebel Scum" guy) and they just ended up using it for Han because it was a blank firing Mauser and it was handy.

If they found the ANH mount and Hensoldt it seems likely that they found the ANH Mauser too and used it.
Maybe they stripped the parts off for some other film use in the years between ANH and ROTJ. Keep in mind this was built by a gunsmith, not the regular prop department. A barrel extension was likely no big deal.
Obviously if they used the NR rifle length barrel it was cut down.

You are right. I was just wondering why, even if they are just gunsmiths, if they could be given photos of what it looked like before that they couldn't get closer to the original prop in remaking it. Certainly the prop/art dept could have guided them a bit more. Just odd and funny.

And here I thought Lucas was a stickler for details...

So who was the prop master/smith that built the Bunker gun? Was it Bapty? Did anyone ever follow up with them to see if that version/ parts still survive?

Still be nice to see the mount if it exists.

Nice work again Markus! Looks like mystery of the Bunker Blaster is busted!

Don't forget to check out the parts thread!

http://www.therpf.com/f13/accurate-anh-hero-dl-44-parts-interest-148980/

Last edited:

Always happy to contribute a tiny bit :thumbsup

kpax:
check post #12 in the INT thread ;)

Markus

I guess you will be busy building soon!

That rig you built for the Bunker gun is great. Really matches very well and makes sense.

We may have to start some other build parts! Mounts, huge barrels, Weird FHs.

Anyone ever see that weird FH before. If I can get a clear pic of it I can send to a few gun experts to see if they recognize it... if it is a FH and not some sort of garden hose nozzle.:)

http://www.therpf.com/f13/accurate-anh-hero-dl-44-parts-interest-148980/

Last edited:

Just watched the deleted scenes and my setup is correct. It definately has the reversed ROTJ mount with the ANH mount attached to its inside!

The muzzle is neither a reversed ANH hider, nor the chezch one I put aside my mockup. Seems like they had it machined...straight long section with holes, then a groove , maybe a taper and another straight section.

No detailing such as pistons, bumpers etc.

Markus :)

Just watched the deleted scenes and my setup is correct. It definately has the reversed ROTJ mount with the ANH mount attached to its inside!

The muzzle is neither a reversed ANH hider, nor the chezch one I put aside my mockup. Seems like they had it machined...straight long section with holes, then a groove , maybe a taper and another straight section.

No detailing such as pistons, bumpers etc.

Markus :)

Great to hear! Now we just need some good BD caps.

It's nice knowing at least the C96 and Mount showed up somewhere else after ANH. Guess we outta do some ROTJ and ESB stunt Mounts at some point!

-Carson

Last edited:

o.k., here´s the link to 2 screencaps, taken with my mobile-cam.
The reversed ROTJ mount is clearly visible.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/OdiWan72/rotjweirdo001.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/OdiWan72/rotjweirdo002.jpg

BUT we have to take a closer look at the "washers", which hold the mount to the receiver.
I am not sure -even it´d be consistent to use these along with the ROTJ mount- if the prop dept really used the ROTJ type washers!? In some pics these reflect too much light and seem to be more flat.

Could it be that they used the ROTJ mount, but with the ANH thumbscrews???

Markus

p.s: Maybe we should move the discussion about the ROTJ weirdo blaster into a new thread!?

Last edited:

Nice job Markus! No doubt it has the ROTJ mount. I'll also try some screen grabs soon and see if any detail from the other side can be seen.

In that FH pic, the long section of barrel looks Fatter (could be optical) than the BullBarrel toward the receiver. Maybe it is a phoney tube extension?

Yes, maybe start the "Weird Bunker Blaster Thread" Another interesting build.

Thanks for the pictures, Markus! That's a dead ringer for a ROTJ mount.

Tough to tell with the thumbscrews though. If we come across a clearer Right side photo, we may also be able to see how the ANH Mount's shoulders really look since the Mount is backwards.

It would have been nice if the Prop guys photographed/documented this blaster like they did with some of the others.. That could have filled in some of the missing reference we need for the ANH Hero DL-44 mysteries.

-Carson

bunkercomp.jpg

hanscum.jpg

say no more...

If you watch the un -edited version on the bluray, you can see it looks more like an MGC firing caps.

I suppose it could be the ANH Mauser but it may be just the mount on an MGC with a tube over the barrel. Better frames will show better.

I know there are better frames but my comp wont let me go frame by frame. When I get a bluray player I will try again but these show fairly well.

Last edited:

Thanks, Pat! No doubt at all about that ANH Mount that's for sure. But of course the closest and clearest shot in the scene has to show as little as it possibly can for the ANH parts. :lol

Tough to tell if it's an MGC or not, but the barrel's taper isn't too noticeable if it is the ANH Hero. The barrel looks like it may be attached about the same way though because a bull barrel around that diameter shouldn't be able to reach that far up the mauser barrel unless the mauser's barrel was modified to some degree. So I guess it could be either the ANH Mauser, or a newer recreation of it.

Evidence of that clip on the end of the bull barrel for the NR setup may be visible somewhere too. Does it happen to be visible in that scene anywhere?

-Carson

Last edited:

when I can get a better freeze I'll post it.

In the uncut scenes, they shot it from several angles. Ford does fire the prop but it is just small cap pops, not the ferocious muzzle blasts like in ANH.

thats a muzzle brake from an FN FAL. Has similar features as the Bunker gun. That front slotted part unscrews. I can't find any other pics of it.

images

not quite right but may be on the right track

Wow that is pretty close, interesting find! That definitely seems to be on the right track.

I wonder if the Grill/Cylinder piece could be from a firearm part. Does anyone happen to know who put the paint and greeblie parts on the Hero DL-44? Basing on the photo timeline it looks like the two Pre-Pro photos are how the blaster came from Bapty, and the paint and greeblies seem like they were added by the ANH prop guys afterwards.

But since the grills, and mainly the antennas and t-track ended up on allot of other blasters, I wonder if it's possible Bapty cast or added some of those parts instead of the ANH guys?

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back