ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

Okay, here's the newest drawings. All of dcarty's measurements, and otherwise a bit more accurate this time.

It's looks to be leaning a bit more on the Flat Barrel side for me. What does everyone else think?
2qekwYyc.png

Barrels here are Centered.
OFYC2jXo.png

-Carson

Last edited:

Good point. :thumbsup Anyone here happen to know what two different variations of C96's were used? (Upper and Lower)

If any other members here happen to have a real Mauser C96, could some of you possibly measure your Mauser in comparison to dcarty's measurements and let us know how different they are? That would be great!

Maybe then we could tell if there is any major measurement differences between the variations of similar Mausers.

-Carson

Here's what I got.

As you can see, IF the HERO upper was just 2mm smaller in width and the bore about .1400 from the top the round barrel (RED) would work ...centered.

I wonder haw much varience there was between models. From some of the pics I have it LOOKs like there is a noticeable difference but who knows.

Do we know the model of the hero and Dcarty's? Are they the same?

The Hero Mauser, or at least the lower body and mechanism, was a standard C96 that showed WW1 proof marks and the "NS" new safety stamp on the hammer dating it to 1915. Mine is #137361 which dates it to 1913 but is very, very close cosmetically.

I'm also of the opinion that the Hero might have been painted at some point to blend the "heat sink" on the front of the magazine with the rest of the gun. I think that's how the disc on the left side came to be-- when the greeblie fell off and left the raw metal underneath exposed. If you notice how silver the front of the magazine plate looks it kind of resembles paint chipped off:

ANHHerostill3.jpg

Last edited:

that's a much better shot than th3 one I have. Do you have other high res shots like this. Anybody?

Can almost see the bottom. I'll photoshop it to see if I can see any better.

Great info about the mauser dates etc. I can't see the proof marks or know enough to tell.

It's hard to see but you can just make out the hint of the "NS" on the hammer in the pre-production pics (where it doesn't have the "heat sink" on the front of the magazine).

Some parts were definitely changed out between the Naked Hunter version and the Star Wars pistol. The safety is solid on the Star Wars gun and it is bored through on the NH Mauser. Can't say if they swapped out more than that!

Increased contrast looking flatter?
cubottomcopy.jpg

The Hero Mauser, or at least the lower body and mechanism, was a standard C96 that showed WW1 proof marks and the "NS" new safety stamp on the hammer dating it to 1915. Mine is #137361 which dates it to 1913 but is very, very close cosmetically.

I'm also of the opinion that the Hero might have been painted at some point to blend the "heat sink" on the front of the magazine with the rest of the gun. I think that's how the disc on the left side came to be-- when the greeblie fell off and left the raw metal underneath exposed. If you notice how silver the front of the magazine plate looks it kind of resembles paint chipped off:

ANHHerostill3.jpg

Looking flatter by the day! :D

And Thanks dcarty, for yet again another great photo!
I also would LOVE to see some more higher res photos that I am unaware of. :lol

-Carson

You guys are incredible!
What an interesting discussion :thumbsup

I STILL believe the bull barrel to have a flat side.

Markus

take a look at the barrel Dia. comparison. the new pic from Dcarty and the HERO. Hero is side on -smaller- that the 3/4 angle showing almost a full bottom view. Fatter? I think so. How about you?

barrelanglecompare.jpg

I'm fairly certain this is the best photo possible of the underside of the barrel.
Unfortunately, it's dark, but they all are.

anh_underbarrel.jpg

I think that thin highlight about mid barrel is a highlight off the edge where the curved and flat surface meet.

I agree with dcarty that the main body was probably painted to try to blend in the greeblies. It seems pretty clear that the there's just a bare metal circle (it even rides up on the underside of that upper lip).

I'm fairly certain this is the best photo possible of the underside of the barrel.
Unfortunately, it's dark, but they all are.

anh_underbarrel.jpg

I think that thin highlight about mid barrel is a highlight off the edge where the curved and flat surface meet.

I agree with dcarty that the main body was probably painted to try to blend in the greeblies. It seems pretty clear that the there's just a bare metal circle (it even rides up on the underside of that upper lip).

Great shot lonepigeon!

But as you said, still too dark. Even increasing the contrast etc, did not help much SEE BELOW.

I lined the two shots up again as my earlier post and reversed the image of course.

In yet another view more Q's arise. The barrel does not look as wide as in the previous shot.

Even though the FH and top barrel line up and look straight the back end of the barrel seems to get wider in the pic. Prob. due to the FH being off kilter a bit, makes it hard to line up. Differing angles, bad exposure, reflections etc.

Also note the "thin highlight" lone pigeon refers to. Right above that you see a darker shadow line at an opposite angle as the bottom of the barrel suggesting a "tapered bull barrel" situation OR a flat area that tapers off to round toward the muzzle, maybe to let the barrel extensions join nicely. But remember the CU of the grassy knoll shot from Naked Runner where the highlight looks to go straight and then turns 90 degrees right before the end where the lock tab is.

Nice pic though. Can even see some tool marks in the recess under the barrel!

My head hurts.

barrelanglecompare2.jpg

As for the Disk area and painting. No doubt they "dressed" the gun a bit.

Some shots (although my versions are no where near as nice as some of you guys) look blued ie: gun, scope, mount, FH (may be phosphate) with the "add on's" painted Black ie: Grill, front sight

Maybe touch ups account for some color but the disk is curous. in some shots it looks like missing paint, in others it seems to have an edge and depth,

SEE BELOW. ( wish I had a better view of this)

anhhero5.jpg

Also happens to be exactly where the mount is in Sitting Target (below)

Same mount too! But not same receiver as that seems to be the Schnellfeuer version BUT the mount is in the same place. Maybe they tried it there first, couldn't holster it? Maybe it was there first on a found receiver and moved it?

Anyway, interesting that the DISK happens to be exactly where the mount is on that other Mauser. Maybe there was a Limited run of these?
Let me know what you all think about the "missing paint" disk vs the releif in the frame.

Also the area where the Disk rides up on the ridge of the frame "could" also be explains by a milled recess. If cut into that ridge, it would do the same thing and appear the same.

Why place the Circle right there- overlapping the ridge just a little?

Did the glue just rip off the bluing? Possibly.

If it is remnants of missing paint, the area would be blued underneath it and look more like the surrounding area (i think) . Removing bluing from a circled area would be a pain.

Also, WHY leave it like that? If they took off a part, why not repaint the entire gun or touch up that area?

Boring side of the gun, maybe they thought it gave some detail.
ss2327377photographofia.jpg

The Sitting Target Mauser is not the same as the Naked Runner Mauser--it is the later 1930's version with an external magazine instead of being clip fed:

What the Sitting Target Mauser gives us is the scope and mount for the Hero Star Wars blaster that ends up mounted on the aluminum bar.

I'm of a mind that the hero blaster is the complete Naked Runner Mauser. The holes are there for the front and rear mounting points (I think) and the edge or lip that you see around the "disc" next to the heat sink could just as easily be caused by paint as it could by machining. Why machine that space? There's nothing there--anymore. From what I recall it was determined that they had glued an Imperial greeblie (one of the discs the officer's wear on their hats and belts) in that spot. At least one casting was made of the blaster at this point to make copies, generally for the Imperials, which also exhibit the t-track and antenna tips on top of the barrel. The greeblie fell off leaving the disc shape in the paint and exposing the metal underneath. The hole in the middle would be consistent with the mounting point of the scope in Naked Runner imo.

Last edited:

Thank you lonepigeon for the Fantastic photo!:thumbsup What a great, clear shot of the area! Too bad it's still just too darn dark for a definite answer..

I also agree with the blaster being painted, but it's hard to say if the disk is recessed any or not. It looks to me that the barrel was left blued for some reason and they painted the Mauser and possibly the scope mount sometime after those two left and right side Pre-Pro shots.

When it comes to the Grill, I have a hunch that it may be anodized aluminum. It just has that look, you know?

kpax, I never knew the scope mount was noticed anywhere else? Is this a new discovery? Because that SURE looks to be the frontal portion of the same or same type of mount on the DL-44! I must of missed something..

If only we could get our hands on one of those mounts...:love

-Carson

True. But I wasn't suggesting the Sitting target gun was the same as the SW, just the scope mount and possibly the scope.

It was the position I was pointing out.

Again, IF something fell off or was removed, why leave it like that?

stmoutcurightside.jpg

cusittingtargetmount.jpg

I'm not sure about the grill being Aluminum or Anodized. The left side Disk cut away is so rough and dinged up... but painted/colored.

I think Lichtbringer had some proof that the part was not/may not be the plastic motor fins from an airplane model, due to the size difference. I think he may have had examples of the actual parts and they just wont fit the Mag housing.

So what is it? Complex shape to be machined special for this prop. All the other parts are "found" objects. The odd rings, tapered top etc.

Most likely found but what? If it is the plastic model parts, it could have been bent or stretched to fit I suppose.

A problem to address after the Flat barrel Q I am sure

True. But I wasn't suggesting the Sitting target gun was the same as the SW, just the scope mount and possibly the scope.

It was the position I was pointing out.

Again, IF something fell off or was removed, why leave it like that?

That's the big question and unfortunately we're not really likely to ever have an answer. Maybe they left it like that for the very idea you suggest--they liked the way it looked. The bare patch breaks up the finish on that side of the weapon without having to do any additional work. Maybe they didn't care. You only really see that side of the blaster once in the entire movie when the heroes are getting out of the smuggling compartments and you can see some light glint off that space.

I'll agree that in some pictures that area certainly looks like it was milled but I haven't seen anything concrete enough yet to say one way or the other. Which is certainly frustrating because I'd like to know just as much as you guys!

A problem to address after the Flat barrel Q I am sure

If the disc area is the $60,000 question then the heat sink is the $100,000 question--lol.

We've been trying to nail that one down for more than a decade. The copy in the cut sheet for the EE Edition of the blaster by Master Replicas says that it is a plumbing part (a pipe reducer IIRC) but I don't know how much I believe that. The running theory otherwise has been that it is part of a model airplane cylinder. If that is the case it would have to be something from Williams Brothers Models as I don't know of any other company that has produced large scale model engines like they have.

Williams Brothers have been around since the 1960s and I'm pretty sure they were making these kinds of kits in the 1970s.

I explored the Williams route to death many years ago. I've never seen a single set of cylinder halves in the correct scale show up on ebay in all these years.

I have spoken to the current owner of Williams who bought the company about five or six years ago (if I remember correctly) who told me that if such cylinders did exist then the molds were either lost or melted down to be re-used. They no longer exist in the Williams inventory.

If the disc area is the $60,000 question then the heat sink is the $100,000 question--lol.

We've been trying to nail that one down for more than a decade. The copy in the cut sheet for the EE Edition of the blaster by Master Replicas says that it is a plumbing part (a pipe reducer IIRC) but I don't know how much I believe that. The running theory otherwise has been that it is part of a model airplane cylinder. If that is the case it would have to be something from Williams Brothers Models as I don't know of any other company that has produced large scale model engines like they have.

Williams Brothers have been around since the 1960s and I'm pretty sure they were making these kinds of kits in the 1970s.

If there is anyone on this forum who would be on top of that lead, Kurtyboy it would be you :thumbsup

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back