ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

Carson, I took your drawings and superimposed it on the HERO CU. When lined up it looks like the flat spot would be as I show, a little lower than yours, not in the recess. What do you think?

Interesting.. With the right side pre-pro shot it's hard to say for sure, but in this shot it appears to be flush with the Mauser's recess.

5YCJL5qs.png

Like I said, It's hard to say for sure. But I still have that feeling it may be milled flush with the recess.

-Carson

Last edited:

Just for comparison I took these pics with my phone so the shots aren't great but show that views can be deceiving

note that the top images show the production prop and my model at the same angle approx. (receiver off)

The bottom shot is my same receiver from a side view.

Note that the barrel is slightly over-sized and still looks like it is smaller in the top views.

Very tricky.

barrelcomp.jpg

mauserbblcenterproofwor.jpg

I was always under the impression that this with the flat bottom handel was the Bolo Mauser instead of the rounded bottom M96 broomhandel.

Once kpax receives his Naked Runner DVD and gets some better pictures surfaced, maybe we can finally find a solid answer for this. So, keep your fingers crossed! :thumbsup

I only used this Bolo pic because it was the best side shot of the mauser profile to over lay the drawing.

When we get the bore placement measurement off the real Mauser we will have a solid clue...that and the DVD.

mauserbblcenterproofwor.jpg

I was always under the impression that this with the flat bottom handel was the Bolo Mauser instead of the rounded bottom M96 broomhandel.

Not quite on topic I know, but has anyone else noticed the apparent pin in circled in this photo?

sBqsKErv.png

-Carson

Last edited:

I don't think thats a pin, just a punch mark. Nothing to pin there. The upper has to move a bit when fired so it can't be pinned.

Don't know why there is a punch mark there though.

I actually put that on my model too.

I figured it could be just a mark, but there's something interesting about that mark...hmm..

If it were a pin of that size, it looks as though it could run through the end of the lower receiver in just the right spot. But, the only reason I see to do that would be to keep the Mauser's upper receiver stationary with the lower.

My MGC does slide back a considerable amount with gravity when the hammer is ******. With this photo at it's correct angle, the Upper Receiver seems to be unaffected by gravity, even with the hammer back.
(I need a better full shot of this picture, but the Hammer IS ******)

57JckCn8.jpg

Of course we would need to know if a real Mauser has that little amount of slide to it, first.

Anyone else seeing something here?

-Carson

Last edited:

Kurt, does the replicas upper receiver draw back, or do you mean the little T lever (like in a M4 rifle) pulls back? Some replicas don't have the same feature as the original guns.

In a real Mauser C96 you flip the safety to Fire and draw back the internal slide, but the upper receiver stays stationary (and will lock open if unloaded, otherwise it feeds a round). The hammer is now ****** and the safety may be put to safe now.

It will slide back slightly (under a quarter inch) and will do so when fired but remains for the most part stationary with the inner slide shooting back and over the hammer. The hammer does not self cock mechanically but gets slapped back from the slide ramming back cocking it.

The C96 is very odd, and it's to expensive to shoot ($2+ a bullet) but it looks so cool. My C96

SEE VIDEO TOO-pretty cool
YouTube - ‪Mauser C96 - Broomhandle‬‏

My MGC does slide back a considerable amount with gravity when the hammer is ******. With this photo at it's correct angle, the Upper Receiver seems to be unaffected by gravity, even with the hammer back.

Of course we would need to know if a real Mauser has that little amount of slide to it, first.

None of my MGCs slides back without additional impulse - and if it is pushed ... it slides back as soon as the hand is taken away from it.

I was watching an episode of The Sweeney ('70s British cop show) a few nights ago on ITV4, and there was a Broomhandle Mauser based sniper rifle which I'm sure was the modified gun with the bull barrel which would later become Mr Solo's sidearm of choice. It would make sense as it was shot in London during the mid '70s, as was Star Wars.

I didn't get a good look as the TV was only on as background noise and I only saw it for a few seconds but there might be the opportunity to get some images of the gun from new angles.

The episode was called "Big Brother" which was the fourth from series 2.

Hope this is of some help to you guys.

Hi Dcarty,

Have you had a chance to measure the area in red below?

We need the measurement from the top of the receiver to the top of the chamber -not including the square ejector area.

Also is your Mauser 7.63/30 cal ?

Thanks so much for your help.

chamberi.jpg

Hi kpax,

I have the measurement--but I treat this as a temporary or a rough number. The micrometer wouldn't fit into the barrel enough to get an accurate measurement between the two points in question. I don't have a cartridge case to slide into the chamber (which is 7.63) so I found a comparable-ish rod to use and get a number with a digital caliper at work.

From the top of the Mauser to the top of the inside of the barrel was .1600 (I took several measurements and they were all within thousandths). The closest I could get with the micrometer was .2030

I need to track down some empty casings or blank rounds in the correct caliber (my pistol cannot be used as a shooter so I'd rather not have live ammo around).

Cheers!

Dave

Bingo. Thanks Dpp1978!

They show the closed briefcase then the bad guy reaches into the back seat and opens it. The shot lasts about 7-8 seconds. From what you can see with the footage in motion the barrel sure looks round but it's a tough call.

If it is flattened on the bottom it is extremely subtle.

Last edited:

Thanks Dave!

The calipers are great. Better in fact than the micrometer for this. I should have asked if you had one.

I assume you used the butt end extention on the caliper since you said you measured from the top of the rod to the top of the case.

I'm sorry but don't know your experience with calipers so excuse the questions. Did you make sure to zero the calipers first on the closed jaws?

If so, from what I can tell from the measurements you got from the top of the rod (case stand in) to the top of the receiver was .1600

(Not sure what the .2030 number was from unless it is due to the fact that the fat jaws of the calipers are riding the walls of the chamber so you will not get a good reading.)

If the .1600 is accurate, even close, that means the chamber is higher than the MGC by about .0200! That would make the Round barrel very plausible and a Flat barrel unnecessary, but still "could be" possible.

I will post stills from the Naked Runner DVD as soon as I get it.

What do you others think?

THANKS DAVE!

that looks like the same gun from Naked runner. Is it from The Sweeney?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back