ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

I thought about that at one point too, that would be kinda cool to have a replica of the Naked Runner gun with all the attachments. Down the road, you never know! :thumbsup

-Carson

Last edited:

As to the grill Id always assumed that it was the same thing used for the comlink or am I way off on that?

It's very similar, but seems to be a variation on the same part.
The grill seems to only have two different diameter fins, while the comlink and Merr Sonn pieces taper so each of the smaller fins has a different diameter.

It could just be damage to the fins and it being cut into 3 pieces instead of two because there's a fin missing compared to the Merr Sonn piece.

Last edited:

It's very similar, but seems to be a variation on the same part.
The grill seems to only have two different diameter fins, while the comlink and Merr Sonn pieces taper so each of the smaller fins has a different diameter.

It could just be damage to the fins and it being cut into 3 pieces instead of two because there's a fin missing compared to the Merr Sonn piece.

Hi Chris,

Have you seen the past grill discussion here started a few pages back. We were discussing the details of Grill and had noted that the Grill does in fact taper as shown below.

grillcomparepostcopy.jpg

It is hard to see when looking at it as a whole. I think the taper is subtle enough and staggered such that the eye tends to see it as straight and even.

I think the overlays and test I made on my grill tend to prove it out. The photos of my Grill with the tapered sections match the HERO pic.

I am very interested in your views.

Please take a look at the posts starting on pg #23 - post 552 and let us know what you think.

Carson, I have a Denix I can measure.

The width of the flat area is 13/32"

Last edited:

A couple of interesting photos.

anhflashhider2.jpg

I don't know what I'm seeing here exactly but it looks like the booster or adapter thing inside the flash hider has a very small hole in the center.
anhflashhider1.jpg

Great pics!

Had the top one but the bottom is new to me.
the c96 was a 7.63mm so the muzzle should only be about that size. A little bigger than a standard pencil eraser. Could also be restricted a bit to function with the blanks but maybe not.

If anyone has any other pics of these parts please let us know. I think Carson is zeroing in on the fine details!

the c96 was a 7.63mm so the muzzle should only be about that size. A little bigger than a standard pencil eraser. Could also be restricted a bit to function with the blanks but maybe not.

That hole there is much smaller than a 7,63mm bore

Hi Chris,

Have you seen the past grill discussion here started a few pages back. We were discussing the details of Grill and had noted that the Grill does in fact taper as shown below.

It is hard to see when looking at it as a whole. I think the taper is subtle enough and staggered such that the eye tends to see it as straight and even.

Interesting, maybe the previously thought larger even fins actually do taper slightly. It's hard to say for sure since it has to be cut into three separate pieces on the blaster prop anyway. It may be that each piece is on a slight angle.

I was referring to the upper part which if the same piece as the Merr Sonn would taper more obviously. There's a fin missing though if it is part of the middle section of the grill.

Are you thinking all three pieces are exactly the same, but the top one is pushed further back? If the same pieces as on the Merr Sonn it's cut rather oddly.

merrsonnpiece1.jpg

Interesting, maybe the previously thought larger even fins actually do taper slightly. It's hard to say for sure since it has to be cut into three separate pieces on the blaster prop anyway. It may be that each piece is on a slight angle.

I was referring to the upper part which if the same piece as the Merr Sonn would taper more obviously. There's a fin missing though if it is part of the middle section of the grill.

Are you thinking all three pieces are exactly the same, but the top one is pushed further back? If the same pieces as on the Merr Sonn it's cut rather oddly.

I tried to overlay the Merr Sonn piece, sized, over the Solo HERO grill and the fins don't really line up well for the scale. Not only are the fins much longer, (which could have been trimmed), but the spacing is a little different, at least as far as I can tell lining up the inner tube vs the fin spacing.

I think the HERO is made of three pieces, The top piece is indeed very odd and seems to be only a small portion of the rings. I think the top section only covers the very front of the mag well and doesn't wrap around hardly at all as seen on this left side shot. Note that the fins are on the round front section of the mag well and only curves to the break line where the mag well is flat.

You can also see that the top section on the left side has sustained some damage from pic to pic and a small portion of the top two fins are chipped off but at least we can see that the top section only covers the front rounder part of the mag well in the middle picture best.

On the right side the cross bar extends all the way to the edge of the flat so only the front round section of the mag well is able to have the fin section.

grilltpseccopy.jpg

I think the bottom two segments/sections are inverted pieces of the top one and are identical except for the curious larger square edged rings that connect them. They are as you point out misaligned and sloppy. Why does the larger square edged ring on the top/middle let the fin below stick out further than the bottom one? Sloppy assembly? The two larger square rings do not connect to the fins the same way either, the top one lets the fin bellow stick out more than the lower one which makes you wonder why if they were the same piece. They are also not glued on straight as many have pointed out and as can best be seen on the right side,= which does not help when trying to replicate this piece.

There seems to me no doubt that the sections are tapered. You can't get them to line up straight on any of the HERO shots even if you try, but the sections do match each other if you copy and paste them, except again where they are cut and glued. They all show a taper and the taper is consistent and matches all three pieces (the top one upside down of course)

If you look close at the drawing below, you can see a subtle change of curve of the fins. The top section does not seem to be concentric with the bottom two.

The top section has the fins pressed against the mag well flatter or pushed back more (GREEN ring) than the bottom two...or at least that's what I think.

grillringoffset.jpg

Funny thing about that Merr Sonn piece, The diameter seems to be close to the GRILL diameter when compared to the FH. and it has a straight section and a tapered section, so why didn't they use this part? It is not the same part, since it does not have those thicker square edged rings separating the sections. Why would they cut up a part that would fit in one piece and was straight in favor for a mismatched 3 piece part that they have to jury-rig together and add those thicker square edged rings?... curious...

merrsonnringsvsanhhero.jpg

Trying to figure out what it is and why they did it can drive you crazy... the best we can do is observe as best we can and try to replicate the look of it.

Last edited:

One other observation,

If the pieces were just glued on crooked and at an angle the inner "tube" would also be at an angle and the fins would be even with the tube. As far as I can tell it is not.

When you look close at the right side B&W HERO with the grill you can see the back edge of the grill shape and the taper of the fins, and can also see this on the left side. The fins are smaller on the bottom and taper to larger going up. I think most of us assumed it was straight or rather that it was suppose to be straight and let our eyes be fooled by logic. I know I did. I automatically accepted what came before as true, until I made my own and took pictures. When I look at them I could see they were not right. I could not account for the different overall look of the prop.

It was not until I looked again compared to a straight part that I could really see the difference.

grillprooftwosidescopy.jpg

Last edited:

Daaaaaaaang, kpax, that is some work!

"If you look close at the drawing below, you can see a subtle change of curve of the fins. The top section does not seem to be concentric with the bottom two."

I'm thinking that if the grill pieces in question are from a plastic plumbing part that they were probably cut slightly tight so that pressure would help hold them in place. The pieces would splay out slightly when pressed into place. That could explain the change in curvature (sorry if I'm stating the obvious).

they sure do seem like those plastic plumbing parts. Easy to damage too apparently.

I also had a thought about the missing Mystery Disk.

We all know that Han Solo's blaster is a highly illegal version of the DL-44 - customized and modified so it will fire more powerful shots as stated in SW lore.

I suspect that Solo's DL-44 was made more powerful by REMOVING the Power Regulator DISK which works like a governor or limiter on a engine, an illegal modification of course, and since the blaster is more powerful and would tend to over heat, as has been pointed out before, they needed to add the cooling fin GRILL.

If this has been put forth before, all I can say is, great minds think alike...

Dude, it's only a movie! :p

they sure do seem like those plastic plumbing parts. Easy to damage too apparently.

I also had a thought about the missing Mystery Disk.

We all know that Han Solo's blaster is a highly illegal version of the DL-44 - customized and modified so it will fire more powerful shots as stated in SW lore.

I suspect that Solo's DL-44 was made more powerful by REMOVING the Power Regulator DISK which works like a governor or limiter on a engine, an illegal modification of course, and since the blaster is more powerful and would tend to over heat, as has been pointed out before, they needed to add the cooling fin GRILL.

If this has been put forth before, all I can say is, great minds think alike...

Only a movie! ... oh yeah. Thanks, I needed that.

(but I suggest you don't say that too loud around here)

I took a section of Chris' blueprint and just scaled it up to match the photos then duplicated it three times.
lonepigeonoverlay.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back