ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

Here's a couple comparison/overlay shots for everyone to take a look at. What does everyone think?

The edge just above the Bullet Knurls is a little hard to see on the Model, but it's there.;)
iUleAgpC.png

The only version of this image I had with a full view of the Flash Hider is branded roboterkampf, so I can take it down if anyone doesn't want it to be used. :thumbsup
urySAJon.png

-Carson

Last edited:

I think you are scarey close now!

Great work Carson! Not gonna get much better than that. A little weathering/wear, and it would be identical, at least as far as I can see.

From your scale, what size do you figure the thumb screw to be?

Looking forward to others thoughts and observations.

Thanks! The head of the screw looks about 7mm in diameter and 4mm/4.5mm or so tall. The screw could be an M5 with a small diameter head, or a smaller screw with a normal sized head.
An M5 with a 7mm x 4mm/4.5mm head would be perfect! :thumbsup

-Carson

I don't know if we want to get this persnickety about it but the only criticism I would offer up is that the bullet knurling on the original doesn't seem as uniformly rounded as your model (which is brilliant, by the way) and to me seems more "bullet" shaped.

If you were to set up the end mill the the piece might be at a slight angle so the "bullet tip" is shallower and not as radius-ed as a true mill from the entry point would be (if that makes sense?).

This is one area that was discussed a bit when the run was done years ago. The knurling was off in the first round of pieces produced so a second run was done to correct it. You had the option to trade yours in for a corrected piece if you wanted.

A machinist friend of mine is of the opinion that the knurls were stamped into the original piece rather than being cut. One of the giveaways to him is that the size/depth of the knurls, and the distance between them, doesn't appear to be uniform like a milled cut would be.

I think the bullet knurls in the HERO are just worn a bit which is why some are sharper than others and even some look more pointed. All you have to do is slightly wear the end of the round a bit and it will change the shape of the round end. Imagine twisting this on and off a bunch of times and banging it around not to mention it being machined from a pattern or by hand, not the most accurate like CNC. I think a little wearing with steal wool or sand paper will get the look we want.

The straight knurling will be lathe turned using a knurling tool (prob what your friend meant by stamped) giving a more vintage feel than CNC cut. I actually had my FH knurled and gave a great result. I think a bead blasting of wire brushing depending on the material it is made of will give a great look.

Thanks for the compliments! I will draw up an alternate version of the bullets so we can see what it looks like. It should be quick, most of the measurements are still fresh on my mind. :thumbsup

-Carson

I don´t think they made the locking cutouts with a round bit, it looks more like made with a radius cutter (that would explain the bullet shape, too).

Fluting-and-Radius-Cutter-FRONT-and-SIDE-VIEW.png

(Pic loaned from pacifictoolandgauge.com)

Here's the Updated Bullets! Thanks for the suggestion dcarty.:thumbsup

This is with a 60 degree angle. How's it look everyone?

fTjn5GU5.png

-Carson

Last edited:

I don´t think they made the locking cutouts with a round bit, it looks more like made with a radius cutter (that would explain the bullet shape, too).

Your right, it seems possible that they could of used one of those type of bits.

If we can find out the overall diameter of one of those bits for a 1.5mm radius, I may be able to model it with the same type of scoop to it. :thumbsup

-Carson

Someone might want to get in touch with Eaglewood.
Eaglewood is the one who finished the original MG81 flash hider run after PropRunner "Gabe" was exposed to be Guy Raz.
Guy was in possession of a vintage flash hider and made a CAD file for the machinist (Eaglewood) to use.
Boba Debt has stated in another thread that he is not in the mood to help on this project.
http://www.therpf.com/f12/no-prices-junkyard-trend-119894/#post1748198

This is the run where I got mine.
6474-dsc-1576.jpg

After reading this I have to say that it makes me love the oid Greedo Killer(GK) All the more.Heck it lloks like you could buy an airsoft C-96 and not have to do a lot of mods to if.I'd like to get one with the 30 round mag and just have somebody make a scope mount for on. I had one of the GK mounts but I sold it to one of the members here.Boy that turkey went fast

Thats what I did: DL-44C Custom Flash Hider mount I made and $14.00 scope from ebay.
6473-working-airsoft-pistol-custom-mount-i-made-flash-hider-just-fun-version-dl-44-i-call-dl-44c-i-used-15-00-rifle-scope-i-got-off-ebay-scope-mount-came-corellianexports.jpg

You've got one unique weapon there Krisk!

Lichtbringer you may be right about the radius cutter. (as long as they had such a thing back then)

I am wondering about 1940's machining in Germany.

How would this piece have been made? Forged? Turned and milled?

Maybe Michael knows better.

I will ask one of the machinist what he thinks. He is an older "tool maker" and is knowledgeable about some old techniques, although not EU or German.

Maybe Michael's friend can shed some licht! (pardon the pun)

Either way we may have to produce it a new way to get the same "look"

Fluting-and-Radius-Cutter-FRONT-and-SIDE-VIEW.png

(Pic loaned from pacifictoolandgauge.com)

I think you've nailed it!

Dave

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

Not in every case - for some field training we got trainingsammunition/blanks with reduced power, as no slug needed to be pushed. To keep the effect of autoloading running, the reduced power had to be kept in the barrel for building up the needed pressure. Therefor we unscrewed the flashhider and put a blank-firing-adapter on. It has a really reduced outled to keep the pressure moving the bolt backwards instead of loosing the pressure through the barrel.

A 1mm offset would still provide more free flow than needed, probably another reduction would be needed, maybe invisible inside the barrel the bore was smaller, around 2-3mm.

even though I think we have proven the flat barrel etc, at the time we were discussing a centered barrel vs and offset. It did not occur to me that when talking about the HERO shooting blanks and needing enough pressure etc to fire and eject shells, the real kicker/proof is the fact that the Mauser feeds the cases into the chamber which extends from the mag well forward so the barrel would need to centered and unaltered in order for the rounds to feed at all!

Slapping my forehead!
chamberr.jpg

what do you think?

Lichtbringer you may be right about the radius cutter. (as long as they had such a thing back then)

I am wondering about 1940's machining in Germany.

How would this piece have been made? Forged? Turned and milled?

It´s a old technique, more simple and sturdier than rounded endmills which started their "run" with the uprising of cnc and 3D.

They can be shaped directly into the material and then get hardened at the working tips, they can be made with hardmetal bits soldered to them, or with indexable bits - all the same as turning steels for the lathe, or facing tools for the mill.

Nice flash hiders Krisk and dcarty! Like Pat said, the Bullet knurls and overall look is very close! :thumbsup

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back