ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

For the Denix, you have to cut out the cross brace where the screw hole is on the grip frame. Then you can tighten down the wood grips. Use an x-acto knife to trace around the real wood grips to score the metal and get a rough idea where to remove material to reduce the Denix frame in size to the real grip size. Then hopefully you have a sanding belt or something to help you get started... I always finish them by hand with a rasp and some files. Slow but true. You'll also have to remove some of the wood step on the inside of the grips. Though, compared to shaping metal, that's easy. I've fitted wood grips to a Denix about 8 times. Though I still have a couple Denix guns around with the oversized plastic grips.

I've never tried to fit real grips to an MGC. I might have to for my Han A New Hope pistol redux.

Thanks. :)

I know the process from the tutorial (iirr it was BobaDepts?), but never had it done to any of my Denix myself.

The MGC grips are already smaller than the Denix, but on a first check these look even smaller than the MGC.

Well, as far i know this is the only blaster that needs wooden grips - later they used MGCs for the other DL-44 Blaster, and left the plastic grips.

Some nice pieces you got there, Lichtbringer! :love

To be honest, I don't see any real evidence of the T-Track on the DL-44. Just the Merr Sonn. If they were going to go to all that trouble to cut and shape the t-track in such a way, wouldn't you think they'd just use something else? Considering its an area they probably knew people wouldn't be able to see clearly.

Also, I noticed the T-Track is now said to of been plastic. What about the rubbery looking T-Track on allot of the ANH E-11's?

-Carson

Here is a template for measurements.

I am hoping we can get Dcarty and anyone else that has a real Mauser to fill in the areas as well as those with MGCs and Denix. I have altered my Denix too much to be of use.

These sizes will be used to size the new parts correctly.

I am talking with a CNC mahcinist that may want to get involved.

We have to get an idea as to the number of parts we can expect and the cost everyone would be comfortable with.

You guys know how it works, more=cheaper.

Just to get an idea to keep the ball rolling.

mauserforrpfmesurmentsc.jpg

Last edited:

Maybe another T-Track? Or they sanded it to a special shape?

Or - don´t ..... put away the torches ...... maybe Ginos T-Track is not as accurate as we all think? It´s only a replica, too, based on the infos he had. It wouldn´t be the first time something nearly drawn in stone had to be reconsiderd after new finds/infos/pics......

In short: "I don´t know, but a lot is possible".

Even though Kurtyboys barrel with the T Track and antenna is just taped on, you can see just how big it is compared to the photos of the hero. Not really even close, so how do we explain this?

bull3.jpg

From the angle below I think you "should" be able to see the T Track if it were there.

cubottomcopy.jpg

Maybe Kurtyboy can experiment and take a photo of his blaster at the same angle and see what we can see??

Last edited:

First off, thank you kpax for this picture!

Now, is this the only photo we have that shows any 'hint' of this blaster ever having Two antennas? If those are the antennas, it looks like the antenna's are the only things really peeking up over the Flash Hider.

zfrSZf4A.jpg

-Carson

Last edited:

Also, I noticed the T-Track is now said to of been plastic. What about the rubbery looking T-Track on allot of the ANH E-11's?

It's plastic, definitely not rubber.
If you heat and bend the strips to fit the Sterling it looks just like that.

Gino's T-track is correct. It's based on a lot of closeup pics of the real thing.

Even though Kurtyboys barrel with the T Track and antenna is just taped on, you can see just how big it is compared to the photos of the hero. Not really even close, so how do we explain this?

Most of the "side" photos we have of the prop are angled from below. It doesn't take much of an angle to obscure the bottom edge of the T-track (the ball of the antenna already overlaps it).

From the angle below I think you "should" be able to see the T Track if it were there.

No, you wouldn't. Maybe a hair, but it's too hard to see in that photo.
That's way too much of an undershot.

I think that may just be the rear sight, cant tell 100%

First off, thank you kpax for this picture!

Now, is this the only photo we have that shows any 'hint' of this blaster ever having Two antennas? If those are the antennas, it looks like the antenna's are the only things really peeking up over the Flash Hider.

360054029_75d209dc66.jpg

-Carson

Better late than never... I finally received the DVD of Naked Runner!

Will post pics shortly...

Here's a clearer illustration of the antenna/T-track combination using the MR 3D model and the best side view there is of the real prop.
There's no perspective on the MR model or the tapered barrel, but it's just about a dead-on match.

Top - Complete assembly (two antennas, full piece of T-track).
Bottom - no antenna in front (rear only), ridge of T-track half broken in a curved shape like a rigid plastic might do.

antennacompare_A.jpg

To me, that matches perfectly and the photo clearly shows that T-track was used just like the Merr Sonn blasters.

that may be so, but does not explain the full left side shot showing a Front "sight like" shape and NO antenna.

Gotta be a better shot of this, sans green background.

Is the thinking that the rod and ball end of the antenna were two parts?

blasterleftb.jpg

Here's a clearer illustration of the antenna/T-track combination using the MR 3D model and the best side view there is of the real prop.
There's no perspective on the MR model or the tapered barrel, but it's just about a dead-on match.

Top - Complete assembly (two antennas, full piece of T-track).
Bottom - no antenna in front (rear only), ridge of T-track half broken in a curved shape like a rigid plastic might do.

antennacompare_A.jpg

To me, that matches perfectly and the photo clearly shows that T-track was used just like the Merr Sonn blasters.

that may be so, but does not explain the full left side shot showing a Front "sight like" shape and NO antenna.

I see the top of the antenna ball quite clearly. The straight horizontal highlight about the height of the muzzle is the top rounded edge of the T-track. The part above that is the ball of the antenna (black shape, small vertical highlight).
Keep in mind the "stick" of the antenna is missing - cropped from the photo in the book.

Is the thinking that the rod and ball end of the antenna were two parts?

Manufactured as two pieces, but used as a single piece by the prop builders.

have a bunch of stills from Naked Runner.

Anybody want to see?

Whats the best way to show them? Have about 36

I do see how T-track can give off the look as well. :thumbsup But is it likely that it would or could break in such a shape without breaking off completely? We may never know.:unsure

Even with the t-track, I still see a possible Stepped Down antenna stem though. Could it be possible that the antennas were custom made by the prop makers and therefore made them similar rather than the same?

-Carson

have a bunch of stills from Naked Runner.

Anybody want to see?

Whats the best way to show them? Have about 36

I want to see!!! :D

Not sure the best way to post 36 of them though. Maybe create an album online and link to it?

Finally some DVD quality pictures! :thumbsup

-Carson

Could it be possible that the antennas were custom made by the prop makers and therefore made them similar rather than the same?

No, they just used a bunch of random greeblies they had on hand. The antennas are very common pieces used on several props and set pieces in A New Hope. There's no stepped version. What you're seeing is either glue or left over bit of T-track ridge.
There's no way to tell if the ridge was purposefully cut or broken. It looks like a curved section is missing. The hard plastic might break like that, but of course it cut have been removed any number of ways on purpose.

kpax - You could use Flickr to upload your photos.
They allow 200 photos on a free account.
Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing
You can upload them there full resolution too.

Well, here are the only shots I could find. Sorry I didn't find any more. Hope they help:

attachment.php

Here are a few. DVD, but not HD so still not great but better.

SOME I PUT IN FOR THE BARREL BOTTOM, SOME FOR OTHER DETAILS
FOR YOU ALL TO DISCOVER.

These are the best of the bunch.

Take a look at the first pic and notice how the receiver/barrel area where they join looks funny, extra highlight.

It is clear that the barrel IS slightly smaller than the receiver if you look close you can see the step.

Also note the bevels at the top of the barrel. In some pics I would swear the barrel is different.

The little knotch/tab at the end of the barrel is spring loaded as someone said earlier and needs to be depressed before the barrel extension will screw on all the way.

vlcsnap2011062216h36m55.png
vlcsnap2011062216h46m25.png
vlcsnap2011062216h52m47.png

vlcsnap2011062217h01m56.png

vlcsnap2011062218h10m59.png
vlcsnap2011062218h16m44.png
vlcsnap2011062218h27m12.png
vlcsnap2011062218h34m55.png
http:
[IMG]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3185/vlcsnap2011062216h59m25.png
vlcsnap2011062218h40m21.png

//img845.imageshack.us/img845/8024/vlcsnap2011062218h42m37.png[/IMG]
vlcsnap2011062218h44m07.png

Last edited:

Thanks Brinn 71! The more pictures, the better!
Well, here are the only shots I could find. Sorry I didn't find any more. Hope they help:

I think with the pictures we have so far, we should be able to get the Scope Mount and it's mounting proportions pretty close now. :love

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back