ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

I think there a 3 types of people who may be interested:

1) the collector: little or no skills, just loves to collect props. He would want to purchase a finished or near finished DL44 (possibly commissioned from someone here to assemble it for them)

2) Intermediate modeler: moderate skills -who could and wants to put it together him/herself.

3) Advanced modeler: with tools and high skill level.

By leaving the barrel the correct DIA. ( all seem close enough but we need to check again, a bit long in length and a bit shy with the bevels (or no bevels) the modeler can adjust as needed.

The barrel can be made for a post as Lichtbringer and I have made and make an adaptor dowel.

The modeler can simply use tape and a supplied template to tape a straight line on the receiver and cut and file it off square.

Next drill an appropriate hole in the receiver end , easy enough to find the middle using a template again. The hole should be oversized to allow some adjustment/movement.

After dry fitting, making sure it fits well, the modeler would use Paste epoxy to set the barrel dowel.

The paste sets slowly but is stiff enough to hold in place.

The dowel and barrel combo would be set in the hole and the barrel with bevel/chamfers lined up and made even with the receiver. when happy with the alignment, allow to dry/cure.

If not happy, remove and scrape off and try again.

Once set, the epoxy putty is very strong.

One way to address the barrel issue anyway.

could also offer the Denix, bought in mass, and modified if there was enough interest

a .870 (22+mm) barrel dia seems to work for all the versions anyway.

Is that what you have on the MGC Michael?

Funny, we can see 3 of them used, Pats, yours, and mine - and all of them seem to have slighly different versions of the bulletshaped cutouts at the end.

I have a few of the steel FHs, slightly different "bullet shapes" but all look good. Kurty an I may have the same run of steel FHs so they should be close. The one I showed was raw steel and looks way different when blued or painted.

I Think if we make a NEW run we can use these to make up a 3D model with Lonepigeons help.

I have a machinist giving me a quote on all the parts and he is considering steel and Aluminum.

Could also go all out and make a brass scope if we wanted to depending on costs or maybe copper plated aluminum! He has access to all.

Price will tell us if it is feasible or not.

Still waiting on the Naked Runner DVD. Although I think now the point is moot.

People who use the Denix for it beeing cheaper are not the customers that will buy masses of expensive upgrades. The barrel is only one part. Scope and scopemount are needed, too. Alltogether all the needed parts wouldn´t be that far away from a MR one - and that is ready without any work (maybe some tweaking here and there).

And the ones that go for the much more expensive MGC/Real route, probably wouldn´t want any compromise (at least "I" wouldn´t want a big drilled hole with a lot epoxy in my several hundred $ gun). And as said, it´s easily frakked up, and then that´s a expensive frakk.

Just my 2 cents.

I Think if we make a NEW run we can use these to make up a 3D model with Lonepigeons help.

IIRR the original machinist of the last run (Eaglewood/Machina Artium - or something that way) still has some of them, looked like not all were sold last time he offered them in the junkyard.

(It's just a stinky old MR bull barrel)
bull1.jpg

bull2.jpg

bull3.jpg

Love watching what you guys are doing here. Such great work! I knew something was missing and now y'all have hit it.

It does look like an expensive fix. I know most here can get their hands on the Denix and vote for a fitting for that. I'm more of a mid experience prop maker, but could jump my level a bit to make one of these. I'm a huge maker and collector of the Solo blasters from each movie.

I'm sure it is probably discussed on another thread, are there any good pictures of the DL-44 in the promotional photos? Not GK, not this one, but something without the grill. The flash suppressor seems to be of thicker guage metal/alum as the end looks like a large circle in the production/promotional photos.

BTW, you guys are a great asset to the forum.

Last edited:

but if MGC and MR aren't making any more what are the options? Areal mauser is not very practical for most either.

Maybe only a really modified Denix? (thats what got me doing mine with all the frame mods. ) Couldn't find a MR. A nicely modified Denix with "good, accurate" parts could be the only real practical option.

but if MGC and MR aren't making any more what are the options? Areal mauser is not very practical for most either.

Maybe only a really modified Denix? (thats what got me doing mine with all the frame mods. ) Couldn't find a MR. A nicely modified Denix with "good, accurate" parts could be the only real practical option.

Well, i started with some Denix. Now i use them as test beds for trying new stuff.

As more as i learned and became educated with the items, the more i was willing to search and pay for a MGC. It takes it´s time, they are not easily available, but imho it´s worth the extra time/money/effort. They are so much closer to a real than a Denix. Alone the fun when dissasembling and assembling like a real one is sooooo cool. :cool (But i like to toy with my blasters, they are not displayed under glass only.)

The Denix are a great way to keep the costs down as long as you accepts some shortcomings and some shortcuts when building them up. But for becoming even close to accurate they need machines and skills - you need to have that in your own shop, or to pay someone who has for his work. To get them on a level with a MGC it needs a lot of hours, unless you have a friend who works for beer it gets that expensive that i couldn´t accept such a commision with a clear conscience - to be honest, i would recommend to go and look for a MR to a customer who asks me for a buildup similar to the one you did on your Denix (I already refrained such orders and told them exactly that above). Or suggesting him to not go "all the way" and keep the money as low as possible. It can still be a nice blaster, even if not dead on accurate, nice to hold an show.

I just don´t feel the Denix beeing worth to put hundreds of dollars in it. It´s a great substitute for a cheaper build - OR if you can do the work yourself, for the fun of building.

I know this was a stupid answer in any way - now i might have to fight with some of you for the coming offers of MGCs - but it´s my honest opinion.

I think you are right in your assessment but still, as many people have complained about the inaccuracy of the grill and mount especially these can be done at least since there is a limited supply of decent parts for any level of build.

Any new comers will most likely have to use the Denix and kit if they want any decent DL-44 and they don't want resin.

Too bad MGC doesn't make them any more. Anybody know what happened to them?

Mabey we can get Denix to buy the tools from them and re run them. They say they are open to new projects. Maybe they would even make the kit in Zamak as well based on our parts.

one thought, A Mauser/MGC needs to disassembles like a Mauser... but a DL-44 Laser Blaster doesn't need to.

I'm sure a Laser Blaster from another Galaxy wouldn't have the same parts as a 19th century Earth gun.... but then again...

one thought, A Mauser/MGC needs to disassembles like a Mauser... but a DL-44 Laser Blaster doesn't need to.

I'm sure a Laser Blaster from another Galaxy wouldn't have the same parts as a 19th century Earth gun.... but then again...

Maybe not, we don´t know :lol - but the "Raaatsch, click, plop" is the most important part when toying with such a piece. Just handling a massive chunk of metal isn´t very funny.

And as long as noone brings out a accurate looking blaster with laserpistol like innards and a electronic scope to dissassemble and toy with (similar to a lightsaber with crystal chamber).... i need to be satisfied with what is available. ;)

and mount especially

As i want another/better one for myself - i will take the opportunity of having next weekend a friend visiting me (who has a company with every machine we can dream of) to ask him if he sees any chance to machine a run. I know he´s completly booked and all his machines are needed for real jobs, but i still hope to get him on a weak moment (maybe directly after the planned BBQ :love).

Too bad MGC doesn't make them any more. Anybody know what happened to them?

Iirr it was something with a change of the gun-laws in Japan, their biggest market .

Mabey we can get Denix to buy the tools from them and re run them. They say they are open to new projects. Maybe they would even make the kit in Zamak as well based on our parts.

I would prefer seeing Denix bringing out a nice Sterling-Replica. :love

Regarding "kit" - it is no good idea for a company to try making unlicensed SW-stuff. :confused You better fly under the radar with very limited numbers, or go the license way (with all it´s impact on prices).

Anyone offering the bull barrel will have to bear in mind the differences in size for Denix, MGC and real Mauser, right?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back